Windows 10: Incorrect folder size on just some folders

Discus and support Incorrect folder size on just some folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I right-click and hit "properties" the folder says its total contents is 2.70 GB in size with 1,927 Files. However, if I open the folder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by socklosk, Mar 9, 2019.

1. socklosk Win User

Incorrect folder size on just some folders

When I right-click and hit "properties" the folder says its total contents is 2.70 GB in size with 1,927 Files. However, if I open the folder, highlight all the folders contained in it, and then hit "properties," the total size comes to 32.3 GB with 2,255 files. The second "properties" information is the correct statistics.

Any ideas what is going on here? I do have some large backup files in this folder, but nothing is zipped.

:)

socklosk, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Incorrect folder size on just some folders :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Incorrect folder size on just some folders :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Incorrect folder size on just some folders - Similar Threads - Incorrect folder size

2. Downloading to incorrect folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading to incorrect folder: I recently had a need to retrieve a file that I downloaded sometime ago. The download folder did not have it. The most recent file was dated 9/14/2019. After some checking I found that the files are downloaded to a tempstate folder in the provisional app package folders....
  3. Windows folder size...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows folder size...: This question had been asked previously, but there had been no resolution AFAIK... The "C:\Windows" folder size on my system is: [img] The three folders, that are targeted to be relocated/deleted, have a combined size of ~27 GBs. There are two backup folders that can be...
  4. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  5. CUSTOM FOLDER COLOR BASED ON FOLDER SIZE

CUSTOM FOLDER COLOR BASED ON FOLDER SIZE: Hello, Does anyone know of a way to automatically change the color of a folder based on it's size? I know there are free folder colour applications like Folder Marker, but I haven't been able to find one that colours automatically. We are looking for a solution at work to...
  6. Folder Size Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Size Problem: Hi, everyone. I have a quick question. I want the files inside the folder to appear large, but each time I enter the folders the icons are still small. How do I make the entire folders and other icons large by default? Thank you. *Sick 111670
  7. Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Incorrect size after cleaning up a filerepo folder: Hello ! Got an issue with my laptop over here. It's an Asus ROG...and no, i seriously doubt that asus forums would help me, been there in the past. It came with a 120 GB NVME SSD alongside a 1TB HDD. As time passed, space kept clogging up on C from .NET, Visual Studio,...
  8. Folder size

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size: In W10, is there a way to always make folders open maximized. I always close them maximized, but the next time I start computer and open them, they are minimized. Thanks for looking. 101166
  9. Size of Users folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Size of Users folder: Hello! I have just a little query really. I have a 175GB C: Windows drive. At the moment it has 102GB used. However 47.5GB is the C: Windows/Users folder. I have moved all the pictures, videos and music from this folder to their own dedicated drives, but 47.5GB still...
  10. Folder Size

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Size: Hi Group, I have an internal hard drive, 1 TB, just for data. If I add up the sizes of all the folders, it is about 75 GB. But properties for the drive show it has 455 GB of data. I know it has nowhere near that. The red line appears showing it close to full. What is...