Windows 10: Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons

Discus and support Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, my first post here. Let me just say I've been using computers since ZX Spectrum and I've been using all Windows versions since 3.11 daily. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChupoCro, Jun 22, 2021.

1. ChupoCro Win User

Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons

Hi all, my first post here. Let me just say I've been using computers since ZX Spectrum and I've been using all Windows versions since 3.11 daily. I work as embedded SW&HW engineer and am quite familiar with the OS. There are a lot of descriptions of similar problems on various forums but I couldn't find enough data to solve the following problem(s): Yesterday I set up custom icons on a few folders and noticed the folder views for some of the folders changed to the Details view. For example, I had a lot of folders containing pictures where Optimize this folder for Pictures option was active before I set up the custom icon for the parent folder. When I tried to reenable Optimize this folder for Pictures option on the individual folders containing the pictures the setting was not remembered - instead the setting reverted to Optimize this folder for General items and the view didn't change from Details to Large icons as it should despite the desktop.ini with the following contents had been created in the folder: Code: [ViewState] Mode= Vid= FolderType=Pictures However, I can see that in some folders where Optimize this folder for Pictures is still working there isn't a desktop.ini file meaning the information about the folder being optimized for the pictures must be somewhere else (probably in the Registry). Next thing I noticed is automatic detection of folder content type stopped working. For example, until yesterday I could create a new folder, paste a few pictures and the option Optimize this folder for Pictures activated automatically. But now that is not the case anymore. I can now paste the pictures in a new folder and the folder is not automatically optimized for pictures. My assumption is that when I applied a custom icon to the parent folder, that didn't changle only the icon but changed the Optimize this folder for... option too and that option was for some reason applied to all subfolders as well. And it seems as once folder customization is applied manually then folder views are not anymore maintained by the OS!? The question is how to remove the folder customizations that was done manually and how to apply only custom icon without affecting automatic detection of folder content type. I've found numerous articles describing how to disable automatic detection of folder content type (which I don't want to do, I'd like that function to work as before) but didn't find anything about how to reenable this function. But the real problem is certain folders contatining only pictures are not anymore detected as "picture folders" and the "picture view" is not applied even when there is desktop.ini containing FolderType=Pictures line. The library folders containing view templates (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Downloads, Music) have correct views so the problem is not applying the wrong templates. I tried resetting folders, opening This PC > Pictures and applying the same view to all folders of the same type, applying Optimize this folder for Pictures to the parent folder and all subfolders etc. but folders containing pictures or music are still recognized as General item folders regardless of they contain or they don't contain desktop.ini for setting the FolderType property. I don't think the problem was introduced by the Windows update (the last installed update is KB4023057 but that was 2 days before the problem with the folder views), everything started when I applied custom icons to a few folders. Windows version: Windows 10 Home 2004 build 19041.1052 Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 Acer Predator Helios 300

:)

ChupoCro, Jun 22, 2021

2. Setting folder view

Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons.

Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903)

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've solved it. Set top-level folder to Large Icons then go to View/Options/Change... and click Apply to Folders. Then just change the top-level folder back to Details by right-clicking an empty space.

Taking this a step further, is it possible to have different file views in different folders i.e. all the files in Folder A are shown one way while the files in Folder B are shown another?

- - - Updated - -

dortmunder, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Jun 22, 2021
  4. Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons

Custom Folder view for new folders registery hack ?

Te new folder has default view of LIST

I want DETAILS

When making new system ... it's a pain in ass changing always.

RuskiSnajper, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons

1. Incorrect folder views after setting up a few custom icons - Similar Threads - Incorrect folder views

2. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  3. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  4. Setting folder view

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder view: Hi. I have folders on my E drive which I like to see in List view. Some of those folders contain sub-folders which I also like to see in List view. When it comes to the actual files, I'd like them shown as Large Icons. Is such a setup possible? Thank you. (version 1903) 159581
  5. Viewing icons in folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing icons in folders?: Some jpg files show actual image in icon, other jpg files show generic file icon. It changes from refresh to refresh. Is anyone else having this issue? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-icons-in-folders/91743be2-2103-45fb-a21d-33d923283482"
  6. How to set custom folder view for 1 folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set custom folder view for 1 folder: Okay so here's a stupid problem to have. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. I have the folder view for all my folders to be "Large icons." But I have one folder where I want "Medium icons" view. And I set it on Medium view, but then every few hours or days it goes back to Large icons....
  7. customize folder view

customize folder view: There are 5 templates for kinds of folders. Can this be changed or added to? For example, can I add/subtract columns to the Music template and keep that template to be applied to other folders containing music files....
  8. Setting custom icons for folders with a .ico file

Setting custom icons for folders with a .ico file: so i am trying to customize a folder but when i go to set this .ico i have it seems it is looking for a file that has icons stored in it and i am unable to customize it. Please help....
  9. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders: I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for. Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I...
  10. Customize Many (Not All) Folders' View Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Many (Not All) Folders' View Settings: Hi, I have many folders that I want to set a specific custom setting for. I have about 100 folders (well, specifically, saved search files within File Explorer, that I want to open showing the results as View > Details, and only the details on top of Name & Date Modified....