Windows 10: Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

Discus and support Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chadi., Apr 20, 2020.

1. Chadi. Win User

Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is.

Clean Windows 10 Install
    Clean Firefox Install
    Not behind VPN
    Different ISP in NY than in PA
    Geolocation is accurate in Safari iPhone on the same WiFi network

I used Firefox account password reset, even that email gave the correct info: Firefox on Windows 10 My Town, NY, United States estimated

Testing
    https://browserleaks.com/geo shows my old Pennsylvania town
    https://whatismyipaddress.com/ shows correct NY current location
    Google = shows correct NY current location
    Home Depot = shows old PA town
    Maxmind = shows correct NY current location
    IP2location = shows correct NY current location

Firefox Options / Privacy & Security / Saved Addresses = EMPTY

The baffling thing is Windows 10 weather app and maps app does the same thing, shows old PA town. Others complain of the same bug in Window 10 too.

I replicated this issue on both logged into MS account and local account on my laptop.

Look at the attached images. Even on my MS account, their own find pc tool is broken. Pathetic.

Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps c601eaf1-73ec-4385-8da1-f4bddbbd7ba1?upload=true.png Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps 2eabaf67-1416-46af-a4a4-49bd23e257f4?upload=true.png Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps 82e87733-3e79-4416-92c2-09ec7927e2e9?upload=true.png Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps f74030ca-4e9e-4290-b1ec-eff77778ff48?upload=true.png Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps d1530bb0-4463-456d-b943-ad901a3234dc?upload=true.png

:)

Chadi., Apr 20, 2020

2. Location incorrect in weather app and find my device

Windows 10 has several settings that control access to a device's location. They can be found under:

Settings -> Privacy -> Location

The first two settings are called Location and Location service. If either one is turned off, then Windows will NOT REVEAL your location to apps that ask.
    Location is a system-wide setting, and if turned on, then
    Location service
    controls location access for the current user only.

• Make sure that Location and Location service are both turned on.

The next setting lets you specify a Default location to be used whenever Windows cannot determine your location with any degree of accuracy or confidence. I'll come back to this setting in a moment.

This is followed by a way to Clear your location history stored on this device, as well as
    some links to manage or review information concerning your location online.

After that, you should see a list of Apps. This is where you can allow or deny location access on a per-app basis.

• Make sure this setting is turned on for the "Weather App" and "Find My Device".

Please note that despite having identical names, this more general Windows 10
    Default location
    setting does NOT work in the same way as the Default location setting in the Weather App. The Weather App will
    always use its default location if one is specified. Windows 10 only uses its more general default location setting if all else fails. I have devised an experiment, which exploits that difference. I think it should be able to identify the
    underlying location problem on your system.

1. Start the Weather App and select the Settings tab. Make sure that
      Launch Location is set to "Always detect my location".
      Exit the Weather App.
    2. Go to the general Windows 10 Settings -> Privacy -> Location and temporarily set your
      Default Location to somewhere that's way off - wrong by thousands of miles (let's say Timbuktu in Mali).
    3. Note which of the following networks are up and accessible form your Surface Pro 2017:

(a) Ethernet, (b) Wi-Fi, (c) Bluetooth, (d) cell phone connectivity (via optional LTE-Advanced modem).
    4. Start the Weather App again and select the Favorites tab. Make a note of the first listed favorite (the Launch Location), and exit the Weather App.
    5. If it is Timbuktu (Windows hasn't got a clue where you are), then go to Step 9.
    6. If it is Cape Coral (Windows THINKS it knows where you are, but it's WRONG), then go to Step 8.
    7. If it is Knoxville (Windows got it right), then the
      Location Service works correctly when Windows has access to the infrastructure of the networks you noted as available in Step 3. Go to Step 8.
    8. To reproduce the problem and perhaps isolate the cause, disable all the networks listed in Step 3. Then re-enable each of the networks ONE AT A TIME, repeating the steps from Step 3 each time. If you ever get to Step 6, then the one-and-only enabled network
      that time is the SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM. If you ever get to Step 7, then ADD the one-and-only enabled network that time to YOUR LIST of reliable location sources.

SOLUTION A:

(a) Ensre that a network on YOUR LIST of reliable location sources is up and available.

(b) Whenever you require an accurate location, ensure that the network observed to be the SOURCE OF YOUR PROBLEM is neither up nor available.
    9. Using the infrastructure of the networks you noted as available in Step 3, Windows was not able to determine your location with any degree of accuracy or confidence. Enable as many of the networks listed in Step 3 as you can. Restart the experiment at Step
      3. If you still end up here, then you MUST EITHER modify the general Windows 10
      Default location
      setting every time you need an accurate location OR ...

SOLUTION B:

Move back to Cape Coral, Florida.

Phew!

Christopher Jeffrey Benson, Apr 20, 2020
  3. No weather maps

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Praveen Tanneeru” replied on October 30, 2012 in the Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-winapps/how-do-i-set-my-location-for-maps-weather/5a35d878-065e-4c13-918f-

0ce213654f57

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Maps app: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/maps-app-faq

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Weather App Maps Not Loading.

Hi,

For better assistance, we'd like to know the following:

• When did you start encountering the issue?
    • How did you re-install the app?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Howdy..

This all started when I was downloading new Movie Makers to try since Windows Movie Maker is no longer available and does not run on Win 10. Anyway, during a download and installation my WebRoot popped up
    and said that the download was infected with MelWare and wanted to remove it, so I let WebRoot remove the download. It was right after that, that the maps would not load, all worked fine before that.

I went thru PowerShell to remove the App, did a cold restart and then went to the store and re loaded that App.

Thnaks.

The easier step we can do to resolve your issue with Maps in Weather app, we suggest turning on the Location in Action Center. To do so, press
    Windows key + A > click Location to turn on or off.

Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps 1d17652c-c077-427c-b128-f72286b68019.jpg

We also suggest running the Windows troubleshooter for Windows apps
    to repair all corrupted apps.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Riel Alc, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps - Similar Threads - Incorrect Location Maps

2. why is maps showing my location incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is maps showing my location incorrect: maps showing my location incorrect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-maps-showing-my-location-incorrect/c55ef819-f843-4b4d-9c6b-0afa9cb4038c
  3. why is maps showing my location incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is maps showing my location incorrect: maps showing my location incorrect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-maps-showing-my-location-incorrect/c55ef819-f843-4b4d-9c6b-0afa9cb4038c
  4. Windows Weather app won't display maps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Weather app won't display maps.: I just upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Now, my Weather app isn't working properly: maps won't display. The other options work normally, but the maps page won't display any maps. All I get is the "eternal roller-coaster".I have done the following:Run the Windows Store...
  5. Maps app not working or Shows Incorrect Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Maps app not working or Shows Incorrect Location in Windows 10: If you notice that the Maps app is not working as it should or the app shows an incorrect location in Windows 10, then this post is intended to help you. In this post, we will provide the most suitable solutions you can try to remediate this issue. [ATTACH] Maps app not...
  6. Weather App Tile in Start Menu Shows Incorrect Location

Weather App Tile in Start Menu Shows Incorrect Location: Hello. The weather app tile in the Start menu has always shown the incorrect location. It shows my location to be an enclave six miles from where I actually am. I've tried several "solutions" that I've found online but they never correct the issue. It's been six weeks since I...
  7. Google Maps Location incorrect

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Google Maps Location incorrect: Hi all, I'm having an issue where Google maps is showing my Desktop PC is in a location where it isn't. It's showing where I used to live and not where I currently live. I looked on another machine and that gets located at the new address. This one doesn't. I'm thinking it's...
  8. Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps: I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is. Clean Windows 10 Install Clean Firefox Install Not behind VPN...
  9. Weather App Shows Incorrect Location

Weather App Shows Incorrect Location: Split from this thread. I am showing information for weather in Washington when I am in Denton, TX. I have tried to press Reset and that didn't work. Is there somewhere I can change the info myself....
  10. Multiple locations in Weather App?

Multiple locations in Weather App?: Is it possible to have and view multiple locations in the weather app? 14757