Windows 10: Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

Discus and support Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've noticed an error or bug that has begun occurring in the last month with the Properties box. I have a folder that contains more than 4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Master Zoen, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

Hello,

I've noticed an error or bug that has begun occurring in the last month with the Properties box. I have a folder that contains more than 4 terabytes of data in more than 23,000 files and yet when I right click within the folder and select Properties, the popup box only reports 110 gigabytes in 300 files. Strangely, the mouse cursor hover tool tip reports a correct data size of 4.22 TB.

Using other software, such as TreeSize Free, also reports the correct information.

Why is this error occuring and how can I fix it?

My Windows version is 1809, build 17763.503

:)

Master Zoen, Jul 31, 2019
  2. mgreen10 Win User

Windows reports varying numbers of files and folders in folder properties

I have noticed that if I right-click on a folder in File Explorer and select Properties in the pop-up context menu, the number of files and folders reported may be different than if I go into the folder, select everything, and then right-click and select
    Properties.

For example, TopFolder (which is actually a subfolder) reports 223 files and 2 folders when I right-click on it in File Explorer. If I enter TopFolder in File Explorer, press Ctrl-A to select everything, then right-click and select Properties, File Explorer
    reports 235 files and 2 folders. Here are the number of files reported by File Explorer in each folder when I check their Properties individually. I got these numbers by entering each of the three folders, selecting all of the files (no folders), then right-clicking
    on the selected group and selecting Properties.

TopFolder - 56 files (also has 2 subfolders)

SubFolder1 - 167 files (has no subfolders)

SubFolder2 - 12 files (has no subfolders)

Total: 235 files, but Windows reports 223 files in TopFolder's Properties (which includes its two subfolders).

At first I thought the difference might be due to hidden and/or system files but I configured File Explorer to show all hidden and system files and none appeared in these three folders.

This all started because I wanted to compare the number of files and folders on my local drive to my external USB backup drive after doing a backup. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be possible because Windows 10 is reporting the numbers differently depending
    on where (at what level in the directory structure) I select files and folders before viewing their properties. I should note that the file/folder counts agree for most folders. Only a limited number differ between the two drives.

How can I consistently get the correct number of files/folders in any folder and all its subfolders?

Thanks!

mgreen10, Jul 31, 2019
  3. sflesch Win User
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

It's not just you. 1803 changed something.

sflesch, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties

1. Incorrect numbers reported in Folder Properties - Similar Threads - Incorrect numbers reported

2. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  3. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  4. INCORRECT FORMAT NUMBER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INCORRECT FORMAT NUMBER: I tried to enter my p**** n*****, and it says, 'Incorrectly formatted phone number'. What to do now? *personal information DO NOT ENTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/incorrect-format-number/af36edd4-b1df-406d-ac71-f1bac4b13083
  5. Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Properties reporting used space MUCH more than the sum of the folder properties sizes.: SSD C: shows a "used" size of ~90 GB and the sum of the file folders used size is less than 30 GB - including hidden folders. What is going on?...
  6. File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.

File Explorer reports incorrect file count and folder volume.: Hello, I found several cases reporting the same bug on the Internet but did not find a solution so far. I have Windows 10 home edition on my PC and File Explorer > Properties reports wrong file count and folder volume if the folders that have subfolders. Does anybody know...
  7. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  8. Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Directory size of user folder under-reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of my User folder is actually...
  9. Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties"

in Windows 10 Support
    Incorrect directory size reported in "Properties": I'm trying to ascertain the size of my User folder. Right clicking on C:\Users\myusername directory shows 297 GB, however, I know it is much larger than that; the a certain folder within my User folder, for example, is over 400GB. I believe the size of the folder is actually...
  10. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space: Hi all The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good! However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the...