Windows 10: Incorrect Password after changing 'user'

Discus and support Incorrect Password after changing 'user' in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello all. Newbie here and not very tech savvy. I was working on my laptop just fine this morning and when using a specific program noticed it was... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ETW, Mar 6, 2016.

1. ETW
    ETW Win User

Incorrect Password after changing 'user'

Hello all. Newbie here and not very tech savvy. I was working on my laptop just fine this morning and when using a specific program noticed it was saving work as a previous user. So I went to accounts and changed the user name to mine. Now when I start the computer and am prompted for password it just says "incorrect password" even though it still shows the "password hint" as the same as it used to be and the user pic is still the old one.

I am freaking out as I have deadlines due today and can't access my computer!
    Please help! THANK YOU!

**Edit to add that I was signing-in with a local acct, not an MS acct.

:)

2. Need help please I cannot sign on to my computer since I upgraded to windows 10

Need help please I cannot sign on to my computer since I upgraded to windows 10

Incorrect password, Mar 6, 2016
  3. Pin Password Issue after Anniversary Update

After windows 10 anniversary update some users may experience issue with pin password at login as it may display that its incorrect. What users can try is to change sign in option and try entering the word password at was previously set.

Davy_anomaly, Mar 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello ETW, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you used netplwiz to have Windows automatically sign in to your account at startup, then you'll just need to set up netplwiz again to update it with your new user name with password again.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Brink, Mar 6, 2016
  5. ETW
    ETW Win User
    I did not or at least I don't think so as I never heard of netplwiz. Any other options to access? I really appreciate your help. I am going nuts.

Thanks.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It wouldn't hurt to open netplwiz to make sure that the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box is checked.

Please also go ahead and give full details on how you changed your user name to see if something in the process may be at fault.

Brink, Mar 6, 2016
  7. ETW
    ETW Win User
    Understood. But don't I need to be already signed-in to do that? As for how this all started, I was using a program (Bluebeam) and when saving my work noticed it was saving using the previous user as "author". So I went to accounts and changed the one and only existing user name to mine. Did not change password as I was not prompted to do so. Upon restarting the laptop, as normal my picture came up, even my password hint was the same, but using the same pw as always got me the "incorrect password" note over and over.

**edit: when I say previous user, this particular laptop was used by one other person previously before it was handed down to me. He was the original user when it came out of the box.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct, you would need to be signed in to the PC to do so. Do you have another admin account to use?

If not, then you might see if you may be able to enable the built-in Administrator account at boot to sign in to and use to fix your account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...a.html#option4

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Incorrect Password after changing 'user' - Similar Threads - Incorrect Password changing

2. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  3. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "The user name or passwords is incorrect.": I'm in Chrome & want to delete passwords. I click on a password and a box titled "Windows Security" pops up. Beneath it is "Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your Windows password to allow this." So, I type in my Windows password and receive the message "The...
  4. "The user name or passwords is incorrect."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Password is incorrect when "User must change password at next logon" box is checked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password is incorrect when "User must change password at next logon" box is checked: I've run into an odd issue, whenever I go to reset someone's password on the domain controller, and the "User must change password at next logon" box is checked, that password will not work. But when I uncheck the box the password does work. This is a very concerning issue...
  6. Password is incorrect when "User must change password at next logon" box is checked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password is incorrect when "User must change password at next logon" box is checked: I've run into an odd issue, whenever I go to reset someone's password on the domain controller, and the "User must change password at next logon" box is checked, that password will not work. But when I uncheck the box the password does work. This is a very concerning issue...
  7. Password is always incorrect... even just after changing it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password is always incorrect... even just after changing it: I got a new laptop and am still having to sign into my Microsoft settings through the settings. Even while I was setting up, I had to change my password every single time a new "enter your password" came up because no matter what, it was wrong. It always says my Microsoft...
  8. Incorrect password AFTER updating.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Incorrect password AFTER updating.: Ok so this has been driving me crazy for the last two months now. Everyday I log into my computer fine with my PIN number and my password. Finally after accepting a windows update time, once it restarts and asks for my password, it tells me that the password is incorrect....
  9. incorrect password after netplwiz

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    incorrect password after netplwiz: Hello. I wanted to disable login password to I ran netplwiz and unchecked that requirement. It worked, but now when I turn on my computer, it says my password or username is incorrect. I click ok and it gives me two "users" on the lower left hand corner. I choose the correct...
  10. 'incorrect user name and password'

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    'incorrect user name and password': I am a beginner with windows 10. When I log in I now get 'incorrect user name and password' and I see I have now got two User Accounts in my own name. How do I get rid of the wrong one? (I'm sure this has been asked many times but I couldn't find it in FAQs). Since it...