Windows 10: Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In

Discus and support Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; went to login to my windows 10 laptop this morning and the wrong username has appeared. I set up a windows 10 installation for a friend a few months... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bartjunited, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In

went to login to my windows 10 laptop this morning and the wrong username has appeared.

I set up a windows 10 installation for a friend a few months ago and randomly their name has appeared when Ive gone to sign in along with their profile icon.

I have still logged in with my usual PIN and windows has not created another user profile

Im baffled by this and what to do

Thanks in advance

:)

bartjunited, Feb 3, 2021

2. Incorrect Username in Windows 10 User folder

Hi,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

You may follow the steps suggested by
    Sayan_Ghosh (replied on November 12, 2015) in the following threads and check if it helps

Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Windows 10 incorrect username in C:\Users\xxx

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Username or password incorrect

I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10.

Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In [​IMG]

Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message

I don't understand how this message can appear as no password has been entered at this stage.
    Pressing OK, or waiting 2 minutes results in this screen

Entering the PIN or password from the sign-in option continues the login process.
    Apart from starting again from scratch, any ideas on how to correct this.

WightWalker, Feb 3, 2021
  4. alanofoz Win User

Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In

Strange variation on The username or password is incorrect"

I recently changed my computer's name and now get "The username or password is incorrect" on startup.

Note that if I change the name back to the earlier name the problem goes away, so the name changing appears to be the cause.

More detail:-

With the new name, when I startup I see the welcome screen for a moment and then the error message appears together with an OK button. When I click OK, there are two instances of my name in the bottom left corner of the screen; it wants to sign in with a new "unwanted" one. If I select the "normal" one I can then enter my password and will be logged in with my Microsoft account credentials. But note that I haven't needed to do this until now as I have de-selected "Users must enter...." in netplwiz.

If I select the "unwanted" one I can sign in with my Microsoft account credentials which only achieves the same as the normal one with the extra requirement of needing to type my email address as well as my password.

Obviously, I want to be able to bypass this step altogether as my use of netplwiz demonstrates.

I have tried all the solutions I have found in sites like
    https://www.askvg.com/windows-10-fix...after-restart/
    and am now totally at a loss.

I'd be very grateful if anyone is able to help.

alanofoz, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In

1. Incorrect Username Appeared Today When I Logged In - Similar Threads - Incorrect Username Appeared

2. How do I change the username when I log in to the computer?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I change the username when I log in to the computer?: When I logged into the computer, it does not recognize my account or the name of the account instead it display USERONE. I do not want USERONE in my log in screen nor under the name of the account. We tried reset the computer, but it kept on saying USERONE....
  3. How do I change the username when I log in to the computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the username when I log in to the computer?: When I logged into the computer, it does not recognize my account or the name of the account instead it display USERONE. I do not want USERONE in my log in screen nor under the name of the account. We tried reset the computer, but it kept on saying USERONE....
  4. How do I change the username when I log in to the computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. logged in username

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    logged in username: Can I display username as a background in windows, to know if a screenshot is leaked from which user was logged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logged-in-username/8cddfef8-0ec6-43be-844d-53ed067c96de
  6. logged in username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    logged in username: Can I display username as a background in windows, to know if a screenshot is leaked from which user was logged in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/logged-in-username/8cddfef8-0ec6-43be-844d-53ed067c96de
  7. logged in username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Username or Password incorrect when connecting to network computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Username or Password incorrect when connecting to network computer: I have 2 computers, C1 and C2, (both running Win10Pro - 1903) and 2 users, U1 and U2. U1 is the main administrator on C1 and C2 with the same login credentials on both computers. U2 is an added administrator on C1 and C2 with the same credentials on both computers. U2 can...
  9. Incorrect UserName

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Incorrect UserName: Hello, I installed Windows 10 last May and it choose the first 5 letters of my Hotmail username. I tried to modify that from User Account but then it kind of created a second layer of user name: i.e. I have C:\Users\cdnhe and I also have a folder with the other name in my...
  10. Username or password incorrect

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Username or password incorrect: I've previously run netplwiz from the command prompt to disable the sign in process in Windows 10. [img] Which worked fine in build 10049 but in 10158 & 10166 I now get this error message [img] I don't understand how this message can appear as no password has...