Windows 10: Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

Discus and support Increase 260 Character Filename Limit in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zalbag, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Zalbag Win User

Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person has https://www.tenforums.com/general-s...0-characters-limit-windows-10-ntfs-paths.html

Pretty much, I am trying to organize my files better and I’m deleting my duplicates with software. Things like TOSEC sets or a naming pattern for Plex can make filenames too long. So, I guess my question is how do I remove the 260 character limit? If I can’t remove that limit, would I have to switch to Linux?

Any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated, thanks.

:)

Zalbag, Jun 18, 2020
  2. caveljan Win User

Extend NTFS 260 characters filename path limit

Hello,

I am trying to use the Windows 10 feature promoted
    here
    and
    here
    to extend the filename path limit beyond 260 characters (enable long paths in gpedit.msc, add LongPathsEnabled registry in regedit), but even if I follow the instructions to the letter, the limit still won't be removed.

Has anyone met this behaviour? What can I do to remove the limit?

I am using Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607.

caveljan, Jun 18, 2020
  3. 260 Character Limit in File Names

Hi,

Has the 260 character limit for File Names been removed in Windows Server 2016 ? Can anyone confirm ?

Saureshwar Banerjee, Jun 18, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

64 Character folder + filename limit on DVD/CD's?

We just got an email from IT regarding backing up projects to CD/DVD... that there is a 64 Character folder/path + filename limit on DVD/CD's.

So if a pathname + filename on the network is greater than 64 characters, the file will be forced to the root of the disk and truncated if the filename itself is more than 64 characters.

Is this true? Or limited to a specific OS or format of the DVD/CD?

EDIT: Found this thead, but it's OLD (2002): http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/archive/index.php/t-92367.html

Sasqui, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit - Similar Threads - Increase 260 Character

2. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  3. 256 Character Limit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    256 Character Limit: Hi...we're running Server 2016 for a law office and running into the character limit issue. The problem is that by law we are NOT allowed to change the file paths or names. Since files can be multiple folders deep, this becomes an issue. We have tried everything but cannot...
  4. I want to increase the character limit in my photo text boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to increase the character limit in my photo text boxes: My photo text boxes in some folders are limiting me to 100 characters, but I need to increase this to about least 250. There must be a simple solution, but I can't find it and online 'helps' don't help....
  5. I want to increase the character limit in my photo text boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to increase the character limit in my photo text boxes: My photo text boxes in some folders are limiting me to 100 characters, but I need to increase this to about least 250. There must be a simple solution, but I can't find it and online 'helps' don't help....
  6. Increase 260 Character Filename Limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase 260 Character Filename Limit: Hey guys, I am currently using a dual boot setup with Windows 7 & 10 Home editions. I’ve been trying to increase the 260 character filename limit but I haven’t been successful. I’ve tried everything this person...
  7. How to remove 260 characters limit of the Windows 10 NTFS paths?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove 260 characters limit of the Windows 10 NTFS paths?: I read the article: How to enable paths longer than 260 characters in Windows 10 it suggests two ways: A) 1. Hit the Windows key, type gpedit.msc and press Enter. 2. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem >...
  8. Removing characters from filenames

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing characters from filenames: Hello Apologises if this question is repeated somewhere, How can I remove a series of numbers and words in bulk from a folder of word documents please? Each filename contains different numbers and words but they follow the same format of: (9 numbers)-(5...
  9. The display of the system environment path seems to be limited to about 260 characters in...

in Windows 10 Customization
    The display of the system environment path seems to be limited to about 260 characters in...: I wanted to add java bin paths to the Path variable. I used the Environment Variables edit window to add the first path. Clicked on OK. Then checked it by using the lower corner window tab to increase the width of the Environment Variables edit window. It showed that the...
  10. Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 RS: Microsoft Removes 260 Characters Path Length Limit in Windows 10 Redstone New policy integrated into the latest preview build [img] Windows 10 build 14352, a preview version of the upcoming Anniversary Update (also known as Redstone), comes with an...