Windows 10: Increase space between a set of taskbar icons?

Discus and support Increase space between a set of taskbar icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Let's say I have 20 icons (small) equally spaced within the taskbar and that the last three on the right end all have to do with turning the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by flycaster, Apr 27, 2016.

1. flycaster Win User

Increase space between a set of taskbar icons?

Let's say I have 20 icons (small) equally spaced within the taskbar and that the last three on the right end all have to do with turning the computer on/off/sleep. I'd like to be able to put in a space or two that will separate these last three from the other 17 icons on the taskbar.

:)

flycaster, Apr 27, 2016
  2. niagara48 Win User

Windows 10 build 14393

I have just had both my PCs upgraded to build 14393 with different results. My desktop is operating well and I like the update to the Start menu.

My laptop on the other hand is causing me problems. The Start menu is permanently open and is full screen, I can find no settings to change it back so that it expands only when I click on the Start button.

Certain applications (eg Edge, Firefox) have lost the minmise/maximise buttons.

The Taskbar has changed in that the spacing between icons has increased so that fewer icons fit on it. The notification area in particular as it is now only one icon wide rather than two previously so that it takes up about a third of the whole Taskbar further
    limiting space for application icons.

In Windows Explorer the spacing between lines has got bigger

Finally, is there any way of removing Cortana from the Taskbar as right clicking doe not bring up the option to unpin.

Any help with these problems would be appreciated

niagara48, Apr 27, 2016
  3. Taskbar settings

There are two sizes for them, if you right-click the Taskbar and choose Taskbar Settings, you can switch between the small and normal size.

If that's not big enough, you can tell the system to increase the scale of the interface, but that will also enlarge some various other things like the scroll bars and X buttons.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 27, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

You could put the desired shortcuts in a custom Toolbar.

Edwin, Apr 27, 2016
  5. flycaster Win User
    Yeah, that will work, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I want to have all my icons in one line on just one taskbar, with the selected three a space or two away from the rest. Something like this: a b c d e f ghi, and not a b c d e f g h i.

flycaster, Apr 27, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    You can drag the custom icon group away from the others a bit.

Increase space between a set of taskbar icons? [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 28, 2016
  7. flycaster Win User
    If only it were that simple. With taskbar lock on off, the icons in question can be dragged (one at a time,) but they jump back into their original position at the end of the drag. I assume that I must be missing something???

flycaster, Apr 28, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Create a folder, named whatever, in your documents folder; create and place your desired shortcuts in that folder.
    Then, right click on the Taskbar, choose Toolbars►New Toolbar..., navigate to the created folder and select;

unlock your Taskbar, drag the items by hovering on the divider until you see a double headed arrow then drag and drop to the desired location.
    also check or uncheck to show text, title, small or large icons, then lock taskbar.

Edwin, Apr 28, 2016
  9. flycaster Win User
    Edwin, I appreciate your hanging in there with me as a muddle through this exercise. I was able to make desktop shortcuts for Sleep, Restart and Shutdown from the following site: Shutdown - Restart shortcut Windows 10, how to create?. I then made the Documents/New Taskbar folder and place these desktop shortcuts into the folder. However, I'm quite certain I didn't do the next steps correctly. I then unlocked the taskbar and tried dragging the shortcuts from the folder into the taskbar. Only the Sleep stuck whereas the others didn't and the Sleep shortcut moved directly next to the last icon on the taskbar. Furthermore, with reference to your second image, when I right clicked on the taskbar, my dropdown started with Toolbars and not with View...thus had no opportunity to do Show Title or Show Text???

flycaster, Apr 28, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
  11. flycaster Win User
    flycaster, Apr 29, 2016
  12. flycaster Win User
    Hey Edwin, the video did the trick, thanks. I now have a beautifully efficient configured taskbar.

flycaster, Apr 29, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

Good to hear! *Thumbs

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Increase space between a set of taskbar icons? - Similar Threads - Increase space between

2. KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons: Hi,follwing system: Notebook running with Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22621.1413, no touchdevice, used als workstation pc with external keyboard, mouse and two displays additional to internal nootbookdisplay.After installing win update KB5023706 space between the taskbar...
  3. KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5023706 - Bug: To much space between taskbar icons: Hi,follwing system: Notebook running with Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22621.1413, no touchdevice, used als workstation pc with external keyboard, mouse and two displays additional to internal nootbookdisplay.After installing win update KB5023706 space between the taskbar...
  4. How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?: Been having a minor issue where the desktop icons and OS watermark are too far away from the taskbar.Not too big of a deal - I'm in Win11 Dev Channel so bugs are expected but other PCs with this build don't have this issue.I don't think this is an insider-related issue for...
  5. How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove extra space between desktop icons and taskbar?: Been having a minor issue where the desktop icons and OS watermark are too far away from the taskbar.Not too big of a deal - I'm in Win11 Dev Channel so bugs are expected but other PCs with this build don't have this issue.I don't think this is an insider-related issue for...
  6. Is the space between the desktop icon and the taskbar too big or is it normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the space between the desktop icon and the taskbar too big or is it normal?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/NiceSignal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ji0xhl/is_the_space_between_the_desktop_icon_and_the/
  7. Strange Spacing Between Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange Spacing Between Taskbar Icons: I have recently been experiencing a bit of a problem on the taskbar on my computer. For some reason, when I open a program that isn't in the taskbar, there is a strange spacing between it and the taskbar icons, as if there's an invisible icon in between. Does anyone know how...
  8. change spacing between icons in Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    change spacing between icons in Settings: Is there a way to change spacing between these? I takes up the whole screen on a small laptop. [img] 94687
  9. How to increase spacing between icon and filename

in Windows 10 Support
    How to increase spacing between icon and filename: hey guys, i've searched the net for this but found no solution can anybody explain to me how to increase the spacing at the arrow shown at the picture [img] the spacing between the filename and icon is too narrow, example if the folder has picture [img] Any help is...
  10. How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reduce spacing between icons in the taskbar?: Have my Win10 taskbar on the right side. Set small icons for the task bar. Is there a way to reduce the space between the icons in the taskbar so I can see more icons? 67340