Windows 10: Increase text length (prevent text wrapping) under Desktop icons?

Discus and support Increase text length (prevent text wrapping) under Desktop icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've read references in increasing icon spacing via Regedit tweaks, but will that also increase the text length under icons before the text wraps to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RPmtl, Mar 31, 2016.

1. RPmtl Win User

Increase text length (prevent text wrapping) under Desktop icons?

I've read references in increasing icon spacing via Regedit tweaks, but will that also increase the text length under icons before the text wraps to a new line. For example a folder named "Screen Grabs" displays both words on one line with Win7 but breaks it into 2 lines with Win10.

Will modifying the icon spacing via the regedit tweak also affect text wrapping?

tks

:)

RPmtl, Mar 31, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How do I make a new line on Notepad?

In Notepad if when you are typing the text runs off to the right, to prevent this, click 'Format' - Word Wrap . . .

DaveM121, Mar 31, 2016
  3. farby Win User
    Increasing the length of a text tone?

Hi elsentrik,

That's not possible ..

You may add your vote HERE
    as a feature suggestion that may help in such a case ..or post what you want as a new suggestion ..

farby, Mar 31, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Depends on your text sizing, I have mine at 8 and it keeps to one line; 9 and higher, though, I think it starts to wrap.

Increase text length (prevent text wrapping) under Desktop icons? [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 31, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Mar 31, 2016
  6. RPmtl Win User
    In Win7 I use the +120% sizing feature which in Win10 just makes everything fuzzy and I then need to adjust the custom views for all the app windows that get affected badly by that feature. I do this for my little 11" screen netbook. But on large hirez desktop monitors it just makes *everything* too big.

My Icon Text is set to 10pt which is as small as I want it to be (I'm not a young guy) and that looks similar to my previous Win7 setup.

Just thought there might be some Registry setting that affects how wide a text box can be below a desktop icon before the text wraps. Sort of like what we had back in classic view WinXP.

The list view does not look like what I'm hoping to find. Thanks anyway Increase text length (prevent text wrapping) under Desktop icons? :)

RPmtl, Mar 31, 2016
  7. RPmtl Win User
    Increasing the IconSpacing value in the Registry (WindowMetrics) solved the issue and now the text length can be longer before it wraps. I found the instructions posted by Slartybart in this thread:

Icon spacing - Windows 10 Forums

RPmtl, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Increase text length (prevent text wrapping) under Desktop icons? - Similar Threads - Increase text length

2. Disappearing shadow under icon text.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing shadow under icon text.: On Windows Server 2019, after setting a white wallpaper, I have a problem with shadows under the icon text. When hovering the mouse cursor the shadow disappears. The icon text stays white and is invisible. I have several RDS servers clones and the problem is random not on...
  3. Disappearing shadow under icon text.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disappearing shadow under icon text.: On Windows Server 2019, after setting a white wallpaper, I have a problem with shadows under the icon text. When hovering the mouse cursor the shadow disappears. The icon text stays white and is invisible. I have several RDS servers clones and the problem is random not on...
  4. Text Wrap around image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text Wrap around image: G'day,When I use Word, if I add an image, I can use Text Wrap to type on the right of the image. Is there a way of doing that with my Windows Mail?Happy New YearMalcolm...
  5. Text Wrap around image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text Wrap around image: G'day,When I use Word, if I add an image, I can use Text Wrap to type on the right of the image. Is there a way of doing that with my Windows Mail?Happy New YearMalcolm...
  6. Text Wrap around image

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Text under desktop icons, suddenly larger?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text under desktop icons, suddenly larger?: The text for some reason has gone really large under my icons on my desktop. The icons themselves appear to be the same size, but I'm not sure what is going on. I've updated my nvidia driver, as I thought it might be something to do with that, but that didn't help at all, any...
  8. NO text on desktop icons & small text on google

NO text on desktop icons & small text on google: hello community! i'v just logged n to my laptop and my desktop icons have no text, i cant type in cmd, taskbar options are blank. i'm quite upset because i don't know how to fix it because everything is blank and and i dont know what to to! please im urging sombody,...
  9. how to increase text size in icons

how to increase text size in icons: I like Windows 10 but the text size on the icons is soooo small. How can I increase it without changing the resolution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-increase-text-size-in-icons/5ca364cc-acd2-4ac8-8576-7f3c7ba338ea
  10. Outlined text under desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Outlined text under desktop icons: Hi. The text under my desktop icons are "outlined" and very hard to read (see screenshot). Where can I change this setting? Thanks. [img] 95463