Windows 10: Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

Discus and support Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on increasing the read / write speed of an external hard drive. Thank you! Wait... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AdrianDragomir1, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on increasing the read / write speed of an external hard drive. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!

:)

AdrianDragomir1, Jul 13, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading

AdrianDragomir1, Jul 13, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading

Hi Adrian

Is that an internal hard drive or an external hard drive and where are you copying files from/to?

If that is an external hard drive, is that USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0?

What write speeds are you currently getting when copying files to that drive?

DaveM121, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

1. Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive - Similar Threads - Increase read write

2. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?: Hello there, I am having trouble with my External Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 1 TB Blue, it keeps freezing at times and when I check Task Manager, it shows 100% on the read and write. I suspect the drive maybe corrupted so I ran chkdsk. It ran for a couple of days...
  3. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?: Hello there, I am having trouble with my External Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 1 TB Blue, it keeps freezing at times and when I check Task Manager, it shows 100% on the read and write. I suspect the drive maybe corrupted so I ran chkdsk. It ran for a couple of days...
  4. External Seagate Hard Drive 100% read and write, possible corruption?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  6. External Hard Disk always 100% usage with no response time, read speed, or write speed.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Hard Disk always 100% usage with no response time, read speed, or write speed.: Hi! This is my first time to ask a question or post a forum in Windows or Microsoft.It's been going on for 3 weeks, whenever I install my Seagate Expansion 2tb external disk, it automatically goes 10 100% Active time with no Response time, and no read/write speed. It also...
  7. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  8. Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Disk Repair, Write Speed, Reading: Hello, God, I have a 1000 GB hard drive and it's hard to go, that if I copy the data on it, it's copying hard enough. Do you know any solution to increase writing, reading, optimization, etc.? Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  9. Read and write speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  10. Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds: I work on a lot of large .rtf files in Office. Sometimes when I click _Save_, the window freezes and gives me a loading wheel for 10 or 15 seconds before the document finally saved. Sometimes (less often) the file saves almost instantly. It's completely unaffected by how many...