Windows 10: Increasing performance of External HDDs

Discus and support Increasing performance of External HDDs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eracet, Nov 30, 2020.

1. eracet Win User

Increasing performance of External HDDs

I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer.
    Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2.
    Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3.
    Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD small pocket drive. This failed when plugging into a different 4 port hub.
    I later plugged it into a powered USB 3 hub and that worked fine.

Do I need to do USB3 powered hubs for the external HDDs. Most of the Externals are full powered . Except for a few .
    But all seems to run smoother with using different hubs or just plugging in directly . But running out of USB room.

:)

eracet, Nov 30, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Nov 30, 2020
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Increasing performance of External HDDs - Similar Threads - Increasing performance External

2. Increase system performance

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increase system performance: I'm using HP laptop with window 10. My lap is taking too much time to open any apps or windows while i'm using it. I tried many tips by following some youtube videos but doesn't work for me. Kindly suggest me to improve my system performance like new laptop....
  3. windows 10 increase performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 increase performance: so for gaming in low end pc we can install feature called warp Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform and i don't know how to install it please can anyone help me...
  4. Increasing SSD performance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increasing SSD performance?: Hi, I just migrated from an old intel 240GB SSD to a newer Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD. This is the 5GB benchmark I did: https://ibb.co/wLcpw5V I saw some get much higher 4K-64Thrd on the read and write. See here for example:...
  5. OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OS Backup with nothing but external HDDs: I have a Windows 10 machine where the OS is installed on an external HDD. Does Microsoft have a tool available to do external to external backups for the OS?...
  6. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  7. How to increase gaming performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to increase gaming performance: Sir I'm using windows 10 with core i3 7th generation 8gb ram and 2.4ghz speed and 2 gb nvidia mx110 graphics card i need suggestions to how to improve gaming performance of my laptop...
  8. External HDDs unmounting itself !

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  9. Increase Gaming Performance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increase Gaming Performance?: So my i7-8700K just arrived and I’m a little disappointed with my Gaming PC’s performance. My GPU’s usage hovers around 60% and Shadow of War’s FPS dips down into the 20’s at times. Black Desert averages around 12 FPS... Does anyone have any tips regarding how to boost...
  10. File History with 2 external HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    File History with 2 external HDDs: I currently do File History with 1 external HDD as everyone else does. I have a spare external HDD that is just gathering dust. I wonder if I could do File History with 2 external HDDs? Will I run into trouble if I did? The idea is that I could do File History with the 2...