Windows 10: increasing the width of File Exporer's Navigation Pane

Discus and support increasing the width of File Exporer's Navigation Pane in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; OK, now on to the second question of the day. The width of the Navigation Pane of File Explorer needs to be increase so that I can see the complete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JJG10, Apr 21, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

increasing the width of File Exporer's Navigation Pane

OK, now on to the second question of the day.

The width of the Navigation Pane of File Explorer needs to be increase so that I can see the complete entries -- they show only about 9 or 10 characters. Many of the names contain more that that. Is there any way I can widen the pane without changing the font size?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Apr 21, 2017
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

Pane Spacing and Width - File Explorer

Pane Spacing and Width

When I open my Documents folder, the left pane shows my File Explorer listings and the right pane list my documents.

Is there a method to decrease the width of my right pane and increase the width of my left pane?

Thanks,

Jerry

4/29/17

Jerry8AB, Apr 21, 2017
  3. Windows Explorer Crashes after Resizing/Snapping

Thank you so much for posting this. I tried all of the other solutions mentioned in this thread and none of them worked. Then, following your logic, I maximized my file explorer window and
    resized the navigation pane (using the two sided floating arrow) to a very narrow width. Once I did that I was able to "restore down" (and drag) the window without throwing it into a loop. After that I went ahead and resized the window's width
    to a wider size to accommodate the navigation pane width that I prefer. Now I can maximize, minimize, restore down, move, etc. without problem. I even kept the preview pane on without issue.

Your explanation as to why the bug was triggered in the first place was really helpful, so again thanks much John!

Selene

Selene Faire, Apr 21, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Hover the mouse pointer over the vertical boundary between the navigation pane and the folder contents. It becomes a double-headed arrow. When it does, you can click and drag the boundary to resize it.

5. JJG10 Win User
    Thanks again.

That is what I thought should happen but I had trouble finding the border. I finally found that it was at the right edge of the vertical scroll bar and it behaved as expected. Dumb me!

JJG10, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Not necessarily dumb, inexperienced in some areas maybe. I do note that the double-headed arrow in Win10 is not precisely centered over the vertical line and maybe not the horizontal lines desired to be moved, may be more uncentered. Takes a bit to get used to.

I'm sorry, I try not to argue with someone who describes himself/herself, they know their condition the best.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. increasing the width of File Exporer's Navigation Pane - Similar Threads - increasing width File

2. Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11: In the newest version of file explorer the Navigation Pane far left column in File Explorer has been shrunk to a small width. As a result, folder names are cut off half way, and its made navigation to file difficult.In previous versions you could fix that by simply dragging...
  3. Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing the width of the Navigation Pane in File Explorer win 11: In the newest version of file explorer the Navigation Pane far left column in File Explorer has been shrunk to a small width. As a result, folder names are cut off half way, and its made navigation to file difficult.In previous versions you could fix that by simply dragging...
  4. Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation Pane.: What's going on with this update? I only updated because it forced me to.My OCD can't take this ****.How do I remove this? I can't for some reason revert back to the previous version Also if someone can tell me how to stop updates from occurring ever....
  5. Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigation Pane.: What's going on with this update? I only updated because it forced me to.My OCD can't take this ****.How do I remove this? I can't for some reason revert back to the previous version Also if someone can tell me how to stop updates from occurring ever....
  6. Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer: Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! Quick question, does anyone know how to or rather if there even is a way, to be able to set the navigation pane in File Explorer to dynamically minimize and maximise on mouse hover? I have pined the option to show and hide navigation...
  7. How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you changed the navigation pane width in File Explorer on Windows 10, and you want to now get it back to the default width, […] This article How to reset File Explorer Navigation Pane width to default in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    navigation pane: where do I control the navigation pane in w10 113744
  9. Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane: Can anyone tell me how to get the folders in the navigation pane of file explorer to expand to show the sub folders. If I right click the folder, 'Expand' is greyed out. This has only happened since the AU. Thank you 64888
  10. Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows: How to: Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows How to Reset Navigation Pane Width Size to Default in Windows [img] Information You can use the navigation pane to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC, Network, and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. double headed arrow doesnt work to resize navigation pane in file explorer