Windows 10: Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate

Discus and support Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The COM Surrogate task in consuming insane amounts of GPU on computer startup. I can end it however then some of the settings stop working and when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GavinDelano, May 25, 2021.

1. Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate

The COM Surrogate task in consuming insane amounts of GPU on computer startup. I can end it however then some of the settings stop working and when I delete it the settings menu no longer opens. It is in the System32 folder so I know it is a legitimate file, no idea what could possibly be causing this and&nbs

:)

GavinDelano, May 25, 2021

2. Cortana & COM Surrogate high CPU usage when Search or Start Menu is opened

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for suggesting these troubleshooting steps. Unfortunately, starting in a Clean Boot did not resolve the issue. I remember that there were some updates available prior to this issue (KB3156421 and KB3152599) and I didn't do any major changes to
    the system.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my first post, is that the high CPU usage also sometimes occurs with the "Host Process for Windows Tasks" process too. It mostly happens with COM Surrogate, but this process shows up sometimes too.

Thanks!

mrpenguin027, May 25, 2021
  3. brain829 Win User
    Desktop Windows Manager high GPU usage persists

Several individuals have reported Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) using unrealistic amounts of GPU for video playback, gaming, or any high graphics intensive activity. Here is a list of just a few of the many requests for support on this issue:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

It has been a few years now that this problem has been reported, are there any accepted fixes. From what I gather, even those individuals with serious graphics cards are vulnerable to dwm.exe dominating their available GPU. I myself report this issue, even
    on games and design software with the settings at a minimum. For example, Java will be using ~45% of the available GPU, whereas dwm.exe takes up the remaining ~55%. As stated previously, the result is the entire system halting, not just the game. The mouse
    will take a few seconds to stutter across the screen, and task manager will take 5+ seconds to even appear.

There have been many suggestions and no results. Is that Microsoft's consensus then? Thank you ahead of time.

brain829, May 25, 2021
  4. Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate

High Gpu Usage by "cssrs.exe" and "dwm.exe"

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with high GPU usage on your PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue by following certain troubleshooting steps.

One of the things that I can suggest is performing a Clean Boot on your PC and see if the issue persists. Refer the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer.
    However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

If the GPU usage is normal after performing Clean Boot, then please refer the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to identify the root cause of the issue.

Note: Please refer the section
    Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 25, 2021
Thema:

Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate

1. Incredibly high GPU usage in COM Surrogate - Similar Threads - Incredibly high GPU

2. Desktop WIndow Manager incredibly high GPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop WIndow Manager incredibly high GPU usage: Greetings, I've noticed that when I'm tabbed out of certain apps or video games desktop window manager jumps to 60%-80% GPU usage, in what universe is that logical? I've reinstalled Windows and it fixed it in the short term but now the issue is back. I've scoured the internet...
  3. Desktop WIndow Manager incredibly high GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop WIndow Manager incredibly high GPU usage: Greetings, I've noticed that when I'm tabbed out of certain apps or video games desktop window manager jumps to 60%-80% GPU usage, in what universe is that logical? I've reinstalled Windows and it fixed it in the short term but now the issue is back. I've scoured the internet...
  4. Desktop WIndow Manager incredibly high GPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search: I noticed my laptop fans become louder and I checked the task manager to find out the COM Surrogate taking 15.5+% of CPU usage. There is another problem as well, my pictures and video thumbnails are not showing, I already checked the show thumbnail instead of icons, I already...
  6. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search: I noticed my laptop fans become louder and I checked the task manager to find out the COM Surrogate taking 15.5+% of CPU usage. There is another problem as well, my pictures and video thumbnails are not showing, I already checked the show thumbnail instead of icons, I already...
  7. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. COM surrogate 20% cpu and usage

COM surrogate 20% cpu and usage: [ATTACH]this happend after installing an app i unistalled it and restart but nothing happened scanned my files but no threats were found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-surrogate-20-cpu-and-usage/a739637e-40ed-4e19-9347-88749f65fcf8
  9. COM Surrogate high CPU usage

COM Surrogate high CPU usage: Hello I saw many posts for COM surrogate using high CPU but never a case like mine. Whenever i click end task,it restarts the process but it keeps it low under 2% CPU Then every time i start Windows Media Player,both files go over 25-30% so i end up having COM and Windows...
  10. COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser

COM Surrogate high CPU usage due to Microsoft Edge browser: Encountered the high CPU usage issue with COM Surrogate but unlike previous solutions posted on here a few years ago and on other sites there's no video file dllhost.exe seems to be constantly trying to access, when I look at dllhost.exe in Process Explorer under the file...