Windows 10: Incredibly slow file transfer

Discus and support Incredibly slow file transfer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It starts at around 300MB/s but after a second it drops to 20MB/s. On Windows 7 it was usually around 100MB/s. This is for transferring to second hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nights, Aug 10, 2015.

1. nights Win User

Incredibly slow file transfer

It starts at around 300MB/s but after a second it drops to 20MB/s. On Windows 7 it was usually around 100MB/s. This is for transferring to second hard drive. It's even slower transferring to USB drive, about 2 MB/s.

:)

nights, Aug 10, 2015
  2. DenDenyer Win User

Incredibly Slow USB File Transfer

Chipping in with the same issue - this has actually made my laptop impossible to use professionally, as I tether cameras to it that stream their images over to a USB3 connected SSD.

With the HDD and SSD performance falling off a cliff like this, it's actually made the laptop useless for work, so I have clients to gt work done for, and no machine to get it done with. Annoyed doesn't even get close.

Windows7 performance was normal. Win10 x64 here, seeing issues on both USB SSD, USB HDD and USB Flash drives.

DenDenyer, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Incredibly Slow USB File Transfer

Matt

You have 49284 files and there total size is 425Mb. When you transfer many, many tiny files it is the CPU that determines how fast it can read it store it in memory then write it to the destination. I will bet if you transfer 1 large file of 425 Mb it
    transfers it 10x faster.

Can you tell us more about the files you are trying to transfer, and what your cpu specs are.?

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 10, 2015
  4. Incredibly slow file transfer

Hey man, Im having the same issue as you. everything else is running fine, but im getting extremely low transfer rates across the board. Im getting similar results when transfering files between internal drives with SATA connections as i am with external drives connected through USB. I didnt see any answers on here yet, but I hope someone chimes in.

MasterTech, Aug 18, 2015
  5. Aeroflux Win User
    Also having this issue. 8 second to 2 minute startup, one or the other at random. Since the OS drive is an SSD I have quite a lot of programs using both drives and it's really been interfering with my productivity.

The WD 2TB drive that is averaging 13MB/s on read and 70MB/s on write with Crystal Disk Mark. It went through a ~13 hour diagnostic with the manufacturer utility software and came out flying colors. I searched for more comprehensive testing software and tripped over a thread of someone using the same model HDD. At the very least the results should be comparable, but they are not even close:

Incredibly slow file transfer [​IMG]

The chipset drivers have been updated with the latest Intel has to no effect.

My next move is to switch cables and move the drive to another SATA port, but I doubt it will make any difference. After that I'm ready to just wipe the drive and do a clean install.

It might also be worth noting that my SSD IOPS has been chopped nearly in half since the upgrade:

Keep in mind that this is with Rapid Mode enabled, and I had to use the 4.4-4.7 method of installation/update to get it working, so it might not be connected at all.

Aeroflux, Sep 1, 2015
  6. Aeroflux Win User
    Welp, I was wrong, changing the port had a drastic effect. It isn't near what it should be, but it's serviceable. The OS SSD is now the only drive on the Intel 6Gb/s port(s); it had slight gains on IOPS (not worth showing). After using the Magician benchmark tool quite a bit today, the results seem a little too random to be reliable. The secondary shares the 3Gb/s with a blu-ray drive:

Just for giggles I turned the Marvell controller on (never has been reliable on my board) and tested throughput.

Something is definitely holding it back, and it's tied to Windows 10 and the particular upgrade path and/or the driver set being used. I'll have to research the symptoms a bit more before I get a good idea as to what is really going on. I also have an HP laptop with a WD secondary drive and an 840Pro OS drive. Now that the desktop secondary drive is on a different port set, it has nearly the same throughput as the laptop secondary drive. A pattern is starting to form. I'm really tempted to do a clean install of the OS. Has anyone encountered this problem after a clean install?

Aeroflux, Sep 1, 2015
  7. at1989 Win User
    every usb i have tried external hdd or usb 3.0 pendrive, all slow down to usb 2.0 transfer speed....there is an initial burst speed but the speed soon decreases to about 10 mbps....i am fed up of it....i have a transcend hdd and and same hdd gives constant speed of over 90 mbps on windows 8 or 7...i also tried connecting my laptop and pc both running win 10 pro 64 bit via ethernet cable, both are gigabit ethernet but yet the transfer speed was about 10 mbps-15 mbps...i have all latest drivers and also tried intel rapid storage drivers but all in vein....another problem i have is that windows 10 restarts sometimes instead of shutting down and i have to shut it down again. this windows is the buggiest windows till date

at1989, Oct 10, 2015
  8. Klev Win User

I am having the same problem. I get excellent file transfer speeds on my windows 7 machines but not windows 10. If I transfer a file from my win7 desktop to my win10 desktop its super fast 100+ megabytes per second. If I transfer from my win10 to ANY other device on my network it goes incredibly slow.

This is transfering from win7 to win10.

This is from win10 to win7.

Why is it that my windows 10 desktops can receive files at top speeds but can't transfer out?

Klev, Nov 8, 2015
  9. rocketcam Win User
    I had this same problem in windows 7 so I went to windows 10 hoping this problem was fixed but no such luck. I am thinking that the slow speed is because windows is updating the file indexing feature (to allow for fast file name searches) during the copy process and slowing everything to a crawl. Does anyone know how to turn that feature off? - maybe that would help solve the problem.

rocketcam, Nov 29, 2015
  10. rocketcam Win User
    Indexing may not be the problem - look at this post on how to disable Write-cache Buffer Flushing - this solved my problem but it comes with a concern if power goes out.

Windows 10 10240 Slow Copy

rocketcam, Nov 29, 2015
  11. iTwins Win User
    Just wanted to point out that I've also noticed Windows 10 USB copying is very slow.

Prior to Win10 upgrade, on Win7x64 I transfer from my USB 3.0 external drive to internal RAID0 (or to another external USB 3.0 drive) is around 150 MB/s for 8GB filesize. After upgrade to Win10x64, that transfer speed drops down to no more than 80 MB/s (require several reboots). Most of the time transfer speed is 30-50 MB/s. Because of this (and among other app problems), I reinstalled Win7x64 and plan to stay Win7 for until end of support.

I am not sure if it has something to do with Win7 upgrade to Win10. I have not tried a clean Win10 install....yet.

iTwins, Dec 23, 2015
  12. Flapjack Win User
    I registered just to add to, and follow this thread.

I'm having the same issues, though not consistently. I am trying to copy roughly 2.5TB of movies from a five disk RAID5 array in a port-multiplier enclosure (via a RocketRAID 2314 card) to a 4TB Seagate USB 3.0 external drive. It would start out around 100MB/s, but then drop to 8-9 MB/s until I canceled the transfer. At first, I thought maybe it was an issue with USB, but further testing showed it was happening across all drives in the system (one SSD, two spinning disks, the two USB 3.0 drives, and the external eSATA RAID array).

I went through an painstakingly updated all the drivers. I say "painstakingly" because I was able to determine the AMD chipset installer did not install over the older Microsoft USB 3.0 drivers.... so I had to change the hardware controller and hub within the drivers manually. I already had the newest RocketRAID drivers... so not much I could do there. I also double-checked that all the write-caching options were enabled (they were).

After all that, things changed a little. Sometimes things go fast, sometimes they crawl. I at least having seen the 8-9MB/s transfer again... but things still aren't right:

- From my RAID array to the USB drive now, I got a speed that fluctuated between 50-80MB/s
    - From my 4TB WD USB 3.0 drive to my 5TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive, I got 150MB/s
    - From one spinning disk to another, an 18GB transfer started at a solid 160MB/s, then dropped to 130MB/s until it was done
    - From a spinning disk to a 5TB x 3 Storage Spaces array (in parity mode), it'll start off fast, then drop to 35MB/s or so

By biggest concern right now is the horrible read speed I'm getting from my external RAID5 array, which is composed of five 2TB WD Red drives, connected to the PC with a RocketRAID 2314 card that supports port multiplication. I typically get around 150MB/s read speeds from it, and only slightly lower for write speeds. But since installing Windows 10 (clean install), it sucks terribly.

Transfers to the SS array are the slowest. This *could* be due to parity-related CPU usage, which I can see spike pretty quickly after starting a transfer.... but I don't think so. It is able to maintain a good speed in the 130-140 range before dropping down to 35MB/s. Here is a video of it happening

[youtube]pvI2ZYehbjs[/youtube]

Flapjack, Jan 3, 2016
  13. VinceW Win User

I found mine would not copy from hard drive to portable SSD at all, but the files/folders were changed to "read only" during the upgrade.

Once I removed all those setting in file/folder properties performance went back to Windows 7 speed.

Hope this works for you guys.

VinceW, Jan 5, 2016
  14. Is it possible to incorporate the win 10 transfer window see pic below to win 7?

gibbothegreat, Mar 2, 2016
  15. Flapjack Win User
    Well, in my case, it turned out to be my old RocketRAID 2314 just didn't like Windows 10. It was fine in Windows 8... but oh well. I replaced with with a RocketRAID 644L.

I'm back up to very nice speeds with the five 5TB WD Blues in RAID5 on the RocketRAID 644L. I still have some Win10 funkiness writing to an SSD, but writing from an SSD (the only thing that will load up the RAID5 array) gets me anywhere from 160-220 MB/s... and that's on a write!

Flapjack, Mar 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Incredibly slow file transfer - Similar Threads - Incredibly slow file

2. Incredibly slow PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incredibly slow PC: A couple of weeks ago my PC wasnt able to start due to a problem during booting. I couldnt fix it so instead I decided to do a clean install of windows on my second SSD. I didnt really format that one I just installed windows onto it via stick and troubleshoot. I then...
  3. Incredibly slow PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incredibly slow PC: A couple of weeks ago my PC wasnt able to start due to a problem during booting. I couldnt fix it so instead I decided to do a clean install of windows on my second SSD. I didnt really format that one I just installed windows onto it via stick and troubleshoot. I then...
  4. Incredibly slow PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Suddenly gone incredibly slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly gone incredibly slow: Win 10 x64 pro Overnight win10 has become impossibly slow (up to 10 seconds to load a program and often longer). No new programs installed, no viruses and sfc /scannow won't run even in safe mode, which was equally slow. Spent 48 hours trying to deal with this without a...
  6. Slow file transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow file transfer: I have an issue with slow file transfer (windows 10). I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1.If launched from local drive works perfect 2.If launched from mapped drive (same folder on the same hdd) works very slow 3.If...
  7. Searching is incredibly slow despite file indexation enabled

in Cortana
    Searching is incredibly slow despite file indexation enabled: Hi, I indexed some folders in my HDD folder but the searching is abnormally slow. With my last keyword, it takes 5 minute 30 seconds to find a folder containing the said keyword in its name while the folder is only three directory levels above the directory level where I...
  8. PC incredibly slow.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC incredibly slow.: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) It takes quite a while to boot. I keep most of my files on an external hard drive. Opening a folder and displaying the contents takes ages. What can I do to speed things up (a lot) ? Would it help to keep copies on the external drive...
  9. Computer running incredibly slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer running incredibly slow: Hey everyone! My brother lives in a different state and isn’t good when it comes to computers. I know enough to get by. His computer is extremely slow and it sometimes takes 1-3 minutes for webpages to load. There’s no issue with the internet because the WiFi works great on...
  10. Store incredible slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store incredible slow: I have the following issue, that the download of apps/updates in the Windows Store gets stuck at 0% for about 5-10 minutes, then suddenly starts, sometimes slow sometimes fast, and then it goes to the next download and it again gets stuck for about 10 minutes. This happens on...