Windows 10: Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders

Discus and support Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; All of a sudden I see an index.dat file on my desktop and a bunch of folders that I don't know about? Any ideas what this could be? I virus checked my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PotatoSatan, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders

All of a sudden I see an index.dat file on my desktop and a bunch of folders that I don't know about? Any ideas what this could be?

I virus checked my pc, it's clean. I deleted most of the folders as it filled my desktop with it.

Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders 795ebb6e-a93f-4489-b70e-148c0c8671f1?upload=true.png

:)

PotatoSatan, Dec 31, 2018
  2. NovatoN Win User

Windows 10 not displaying search results for indexed shortcuts in a folder.

Thanks Deepika,

I had tried running this troubleshooter before, but I've just run it again with "Files don't appear in search results" and "My problem isn't listed above" ticked, and it comes up with "Issue not present" against all potential issues, and "Troubleshooting
    couldn't identify the problem", even after troubleshooting as an administrator.

I'd be glad of any other suggestions please!

NovatoN, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    indexing Publisher files

Hi,

What do you mean when you say 'how can I change Publisher to the other filter ?'

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders

Unable to open any files/folders using Search function on Windows 10

Hi,

To resolve your concern about searching any files/folders with an index rebuild, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel and find Indexing Options.
    • Under Indexing Options, make sure that Windows is indexing the location on which your files/folders are saved.
    If the files are not listed like the Users folder (Documents and Desktop folders), you can manually add them.

• Click Modify then you should see the list of all locations on your computer.
    • Find the desired drive or folder which contains the files you'd like to be indexed and check the box next to it.
    • Hit OK and you'll return to the Indexing Options.
    NOTE: If you're not facing a total malfunction of Windows Search, you can quickly jump to
    Indexing Options by searching from the Start Menu (Windows 7 and Windows 10) or the
    Start Screen (Windows 8 and 8.1).

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders

1. Index.dat file in my desktop and a bunch of folders - Similar Threads - Index dat file

2. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  3. DAT file concerns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DAT file concerns: Just now, I deleted a lot of temp files. I was going really fast and I ended up deleting some DAT files. I read about these just now and I learnt that they contained critical about programs used to create specific files. I also read that DAT files can have Windows registry....
  4. .dat file are appeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .dat file are appeared: hello Suddenly some files are appeared on my desktop which are of .dat extention .files names are : backup.dat and settings.dat so i want to know that this kinda file can harm the laptop or not ?thank you...
  5. .dat file are appeared

.dat file are appeared: hello Suddenly some files are appeared on my desktop which are of .dat extention .files names are : backup.dat and settings.dat so i want to know that this kinda file can harm the laptop or not ?thank you...
  6. A bunch of my ONEDRIVE files are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A bunch of my ONEDRIVE files are missing: Hello I have a bunch of onedrive files missing. 4 years of digitised artwork. Cannot find them anywhere. The file folders are there but they're empty. Like what the heck. Where are they? I've tried restoring to an older point, uninstalling updates etc but still can't find the...
  7. A bunch of my ONEDRIVE files are missing

A bunch of my ONEDRIVE files are missing: Hello I have a bunch of onedrive files missing. 4 years of digitised artwork. Cannot find them anywhere. The file folders are there but they're empty. Like what the heck. Where are they? I've tried restoring to an older point, uninstalling updates etc but still can't find the...
  8. indexing the files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    indexing the files in a folder: I have to index the files in a folder which are inside subfolders. [img] I have made a Microsoft word document. I am manually going in each folder and then opening command prompt and then on command prompt I type dir /b I get some output and then I paste it on word...
  9. Associate .dat files to NotePad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .dat files to NotePad: I am trying to associate a .dat created by one of my software packages with Notepad so that the file that is created can be saved to my computer. When I go to the Associate App page in Settings and click on .dat it gives me a message that no app is downloaded to use for .dat...
  10. Delete a DAT file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete a DAT file: Hello, My program SuperAntiSpyware detected a malware file named "UsrClass.dat", because this is a Data file when I try to delete it an error message appears "this action can't be taken because the file is open in the system". How can I delete this file? Thanks,...