Windows 10: Indexing doesn't see files...

Discus and support Indexing doesn't see files... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got a lot of PDF's in my User directory, which according to the Indexing service has been indexed (and it says it's done and has indexed thousands... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PencilBoy99, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Indexing doesn't see files...

I've got a lot of PDF's in my User directory, which according to the Indexing service has been indexed (and it says it's done and has indexed thousands of files). PDF's are set to search file properties only. When I search for any of the PDF's by name though I don't find them. I've tried rebuilding the index and no luck. According to the Indexing settings (default) it is indexing the users folder.

:)

PencilBoy99, Mar 5, 2016

2. Explorer files search!

The options states how many files were indexed and then says "Indexing Complete".

It was working fine just last week! Why would it specify a file doesn't exist when I can see it on the screen?!

Prime Business Forms, Mar 5, 2016
  3. ConiGL Win User
    Files in other drives are not indexed

If there are lots of files it may take a while. Type or say indexing options in cortana . Click modify and see if the drive is in the list. Put a checkmark in the drive and choose what you want indexed. If it doesn't work open advanced options and click
    on rebuild.

ConiGL, Mar 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Indexing doesn't see files...

I have put a pdf in
    E:\User Folders\Desktop - that's my relocated Desktop folder
    C:\Users\<username>\Documents

and a Cortana search (My Stuff) finds them. (That relies on Windows search index)

What's the path to your 'User' directory you mention first?

dalchina, Mar 5, 2016
  5. Good idea. I will put PDF's other places and see if it finds them.
    By user I meant I left the defaults on, which indexes everything in c:\users\

Just did the test

Even though the folder C:\users\[name]\Google Drive is checked in indexing, nothing in it is seen by cortana search. I (user) have full access to the folder's contents.

PencilBoy99, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Indexing doesn't see files...

1. Indexing doesn't see files... - Similar Threads - Indexing doesn't files

2. Is there any way to see what files windows is indexing in real time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any way to see what files windows is indexing in real time?: So Windows is acting up on me again with Indexing. It's constantly chugging away on one of my storage drives but not the other 3 drives and it's using a nice bit of CPU power too.I rebuilt the Index a few days ago, hoping that would sort it, and it seemed to be fine for a...
  3. Is there any way to see what files windows is indexing in real time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way to see what files windows is indexing in real time?: So Windows is acting up on me again with Indexing. It's constantly chugging away on one of my storage drives but not the other 3 drives and it's using a nice bit of CPU power too.I rebuilt the Index a few days ago, hoping that would sort it, and it seemed to be fine for a...
  4. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  5. indexing the files in a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    indexing the files in a folder: I have to index the files in a folder which are inside subfolders. [img] I have made a Microsoft word document. I am manually going in each folder and then opening command prompt and then on command prompt I type dir /b I get some output and then I paste it on word...
  6. Game doesn't see save files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game doesn't see save files: I lost connection to the internet yesterday, and Shadow of War no longer sees any save files, and asks me to start a new campaign. How can this be rectified? Since the Xbox App doesn't allow any user control over the data, what can be done? I am an Xbox Game pass...
  7. The search index doesn't work

in Cortana
    The search index doesn't work: The search index doesn't show anything and doesn't work at all and is extremely slow. I have tried all the tutorials and nothing works. I can't find the Cortana app either. I get this error message below, when trouble shooting the Search & Indexing. [ATTACH]...
  8. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  9. Indexing does not see one of my partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing does not see one of my partitions: Although my user account (admin account) is the owner of the P partition, and indexing is allowed for this partition, Windows Indexing does not see this partition. I already tried rebuilding the index and restarting the computer. See screenshot...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't want to index file on an other SSD ! (0x80040d07)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't want to index file on an other SSD ! (0x80040d07): Hello, I would like to index files on my second SSD : (A:/) but indexation doesn't start on it... In the observateur of events : Description : Windows Search Service failed to process the list of included and excluded locations with the error <30, 0x80040d07,...