Windows 10: Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7?

Discus and support Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In the hard drive's properties there is an option to enable indexing and another for compressing of files to increase drive space. Well the compression... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bob Is Interested, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7?

In the hard drive's properties there is an option to enable indexing and another for compressing of files to increase drive space. Well the compression of files made just about no difference at all. Maybe less than 1%. I used CCleaner just before so maybe that helped. Then I read that indexing causes the system to run slower. I thought I had to have a Windows Service enabled for that to even function but I see nothing in Services.msc related to indexing. Or even Windows Search. I use UltraSearch so is it possible that it has replaced Windows Search somehow? I certainly find it far supe

:)

Bob Is Interested, Nov 17, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

indexing Publisher files

Hi,

What do you mean when you say 'how can I change Publisher to the other filter ?'

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 17, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Nov 17, 2021
  4. Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7?

indexing of files

Hi,

Indexing helps you speed up file searches. However, if you would like to have it turned off, you may follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click on one of your system drives.
    • Select Properties.
    • On the General tab, uncheck Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.
    • Click Apply > select where you want to apply the changes >
      OK

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

Rachelle Gra, Nov 17, 2021
Thema:

Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7?

1. Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7? - Similar Threads - Indexing file compression

2. Win7: Why would someone not want to use indexing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7: Why would someone not want to use indexing?: And if indexing is implemented does it help other search programs find things or just Windows Search?I looked in Services.msc and didn't see anything there that seems to relate to indexing so its not as if its running in the background....
  3. Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing & file compression: Is there any point in Win7?: In the hard drive's properties there is an option to enable indexing and another for compressing of files to increase drive space. Well the compression of files made just about no difference at all. Maybe less than 1%. I used CCleaner just before so maybe that helped. Then I...
  4. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  5. Compressed file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressed file: I have a photo file that is compressed. I don't know how that happened, but how do I remove it from being compressed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-file/834893b5-4de1-415a-8560-319b6f411950
  6. File Compression . . .

File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  7. file compression

file compression: I have a 5.3mb pdf file that I need to compress to a 2.0mb. How do I do this? Thank you all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-compression/9213218a-4cba-414b-b613-048b16bd05d7
  8. Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressed Files: Hello, I was wondering if there was any way to automatically compress all files on my pc without having to go and manually compress all of them. Please and thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-files/61cf235d-6333-4696-b2be-666b891dedbb
  9. Indexing of a second drive (New Point)

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing of a second drive (New Point): In the recent topic Indexing of Second Drive Dalchina said:"..... can you confirm that your problem is that you have specified folders to be indexed on your 2Tb drive, and that you can do that in Indexing Options in the Control Panel, but that when you add such locations, the...
  10. What, no more Experience Index points?

in Windows 10 Support
    What, no more Experience Index points?: I hoped Win10 would let me bump up my sad score of 7.8. I almost cried when I saw WEI isn't included. So sad. 2263