Windows 10: Indexing is not running

Discus and support Indexing is not running in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; File searches are extremely slow (about 10 times slower than in Windows 10). When I go to "Indexing Options" it tells me "indexing is not running" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Salix(2), Sep 4, 2019.

1. Salix(2) Win User

Indexing is not running

File searches are extremely slow (about 10 times slower than in Windows 10). When I go to "Indexing Options" it tells me "indexing is not running" and it doesn't let me enter anything under "Index these locations". Same is true under "Advanced Options".

:)

Salix(2), Sep 4, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

indexing is not running aftervrepairto office 365

Hi Michael,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Sep 4, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Sep 4, 2019
  4. David Haz Win User

Indexing is not running

Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Indexing is not running

1. Indexing is not running - Similar Threads - Indexing running

2. Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...: Last week onwards, I looked for the screenshot below. Restarted many times but there was no result.Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,, and restart the Windows search services in the Services.msc.I have done the following...
  3. Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,,...: Last week onwards, I looked for the screenshot below. Restarted many times but there was no result.Indexing is running, but documents are not being indexed. We are unable to stop, start,, and restart the Windows search services in the Services.msc.I have done the following...
  4. Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage: Inside of Indexing Options, the number of items indexed continues to increase yet says that indexing is paused:Indexing never finishes, eventually just stopping itself sometime after 100,000 items out of roughly 600,000 items. Even after stopping, Windows Search Filter Host...
  5. Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage

Windows 11 Indexing Is Paused But Still Running in Background, Constant CPU Usage: Inside of Indexing Options, the number of items indexed continues to increase yet says that indexing is paused:Indexing never finishes, eventually just stopping itself sometime after 100,000 items out of roughly 600,000 items. Even after stopping, Windows Search Filter Host...
  6. Indexing is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  7. Indexing is not running.

Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  8. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  9. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  10. Windows 11 indexing overheating laptop and running incredibly slow

Windows 11 indexing overheating laptop and running incredibly slow: Found similar topics but none that cover both. My laptop is running ay 90-98° when idle - I'm pretty sure it's Windows Search Indexer, as it was showing over 50% CPU usage when I first noticed the issue. I started rebuilding the index 5 days ago and it's still only at 82K...