Windows 10: Indexing is not running

Discus and support Indexing is not running in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; File searches are extremely slow (about 10 times slower than in Windows 10). When I go to "Indexing Options" it tells me "indexing is not running" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Salix(2), Sep 4, 2019.

1. Salix(2) Win User

Indexing is not running

File searches are extremely slow (about 10 times slower than in Windows 10). When I go to "Indexing Options" it tells me "indexing is not running" and it doesn't let me enter anything under "Index these locations". Same is true under "Advanced Options".

:)

Salix(2), Sep 4, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

indexing is not running aftervrepairto office 365

Hi Michael,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Sep 4, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Sep 4, 2019
  4. David Haz Win User

Indexing is not running

Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Indexing is not running

1. Indexing is not running - Similar Threads - Indexing running

2. Indexing Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing Issue: When I go to the Indexing Options in Control Panel and select Modify I get the same box checked no matter how many times I uncheck it. Can not seem to find where this 'iehistory' is saved or stored. Have read other issues like the Csc offline files showing up unwanted in...
  3. how do i index a ready share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i index a ready share: how do i index a ready share https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-index-a-ready-share/c081fa05-2f6a-4971-89a8-e6e41970307a"
  4. Windows 10 Search Indexing and Windows update are not working.

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Indexing and Windows update are not working.: Windows 10 Search Indexing and Windows Update are not working. Both show they are "starting" under services and properties. They cannot be stopped, disabled or started (greyed out). Troubleshooting Search & Indexing and Windows Update identifies the problem(s) on both as not...
  5. Cannot start search service / indexing in Windows 10, cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot start search service / indexing in Windows 10, cannot find the path specified: Cannot start indexing service in Windows 10 When manually starting it says: Cannot find the path specified Tried already many things like the troubleshooter , but none worked...
  6. Fixing the "Index is not running" issue

in Cortana
    Fixing the "Index is not running" issue: The purpose of this post is to suggest another method of fixing the "Indexing is not running" problem. Please bear with me; I am not a Windows expert, but I felt the need to write this post simply because all of the other solutions "out there" did not fix my problem. The...
  7. Windows 10 search index not running

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search index not running: Have tried running DISM, SFC and CHKDSK Have searched all over internet and have tried everything I have seen so far. I just can't get the file indexing to run....
  8. Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running: Hello, I have following few problems, if someone can help. 1. Windows Indexing is not running. (Tried method of rebuild but not working) 2. Modify button is grey out and no folder is currently present in the indexing options. 3. Windows Search is in hang state...
  9. Indexing running continually [Solved]

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing running continually [Solved]: OS: Windows 10 Pro Computer: NUC Recently, my external drive is indicating a continual reading of the drive (read indicator flashing). Under Properties, the Allow Indexing is NOT checked. Using Task Manager, there are two Micorsoft indexing processes running and when I...
  10. Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing not running: While trying to do a search in outlook 2016, i got the notice "something happened and search cannot be executed" or something like that. A quick google led to the indexing service. I launched services.msc and looked at "Windows Search". It's set to the default "delayed...