Windows 10: Indexing is turned off and wont come back.

Discus and support Indexing is turned off and wont come back. in Cortana to solve the problem; I recently changed the ownership of my hard drive from "Trusted Installer", whoever that is, to my own user ID. Now indexing is turned off for my... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by LachlanShenanagin, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Indexing is turned off and wont come back.

I recently changed the ownership of my hard drive from "Trusted Installer", whoever that is, to my own user ID.

Now indexing is turned off for my searches and won't come back. I can't select anything from the indexing options there are no locations displayed, the advanced options delete and rebuild has improved things actually getting search results as opposed to none, the services solution is set to automatic delayed startup and I've run out of suggestions from the web.

Did changing the ownership screw with the search function? Should I change it back? when Ididn't have ownership I couldn't execute a certain command in cmd prompt, don't ask me what because I can't remember, it just required elevation so I googled how to fix that and that lead me to changing the ownership.... Yes, I am aware I'm very inexperienced with this stuff xD xD I'm just learning!

So, that's it.

Any suggestions..?

Cheers,

Lachlan

:)

LachlanShenanagin, Jan 22, 2021
  2. malernah Win User

Search Indexing was Turned Off

When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on.

Indexing is turned off and wont come back. 90359a9b-3438-4cdc-bcbc-c0236190f699.png

Please let me know what steps I can take to troubleshoot and resolve, and I will follow steps and post results of steps.

malernah, Jan 22, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Search Indexing was Turned Off

Hi,

The Indexing Service in Windows Services may not be running, resulting to what you are experiencing on the computer. It will be better if you provide more information about the recent activities on the computer to understand why this happened. Kindly answer
    these questions:

• Did this start after installing updates on your computer?
    • Did you make any changes on your settings prior to this issue?

Let's see if we can restart the Indexing Service by performing the steps below:

• Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc then press Enter.
    • Look for Indexing Service.
    • Right-click on the service and choose Restart.

Let us know if the steps above resolve the issue. Feel free to post questions if you have any.

Regards.

Ruz San, Jan 22, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Indexing is turned off and wont come back.

is it better to turn indexing off?

You can add what you want to it. If the file extension is in the list it will index it but don't tell it to index the properties and file contents unless the file is like a .CFG .TXT .INI type file.

AsRock, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

Indexing is turned off and wont come back.

1. Indexing is turned off and wont come back. - Similar Threads - Indexing turned off

2. My Wi-Fi Keeps turning off and wont turn back on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Wi-Fi Keeps turning off and wont turn back on.: For the past 2 weeks, my laptops internet has been randomly turning off and it won't turn back on unless I restart my device. I have checked for optional updates, I have done network resets but none of these things have worked. I just don't know what to do....
  3. screen comes back on after turning it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    screen comes back on after turning it off: In the "Control what the Power Buttons do" section of the control panel I have the Power button selected to turn off the display however, when i actually press the button in person the display turn off as expected then after .5th of a second the screen turns back on...
  4. screen comes back on after turning it off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen comes back on after turning it off: In the "Control what the Power Buttons do" section of the control panel I have the Power button selected to turn off the display however, when i actually press the button in person the display turn off as expected then after .5th of a second the screen turns back on...
  5. screen comes back on after turning it off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Searching Index was turned off. Index Service missing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching Index was turned off. Index Service missing.: Good day!I have no idea why but my "Searching Index was turned off". When I try entering advanced settings, it says index is not running. I am not able to click anything else other than Advanced. In advanced, I also cannot press nothing other than rebuild index. I have tried...
  7. Wont come off logo

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wont come off logo: Hi, my asus notebook wont come off the logo. I tried going in bios but I do not know if I am doing it correct. Thank you in advanced. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wont-come-off-logo/900f063f-4434-4757-bc6f-278ad58f307b
  8. turn indexing back on Windows 10

in Cortana
    turn indexing back on Windows 10: For some reason (I don't know how) indexing was turned off. I am unable to turn it back on. Cannot get past "indexing is not running" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-indexing-back-on-windows-10/d9155bd5-dc5d-4816-b489-04347ad69b73"
  9. cannot turn indexing back on

in Cortana
    cannot turn indexing back on: cannot turn indexing back on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-indexing-back-on/43e0de6f-431d-4da2-a2e7-938047d5c336"
  10. WiFi on laptop is permanently turned off and wont turn back on.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi on laptop is permanently turned off and wont turn back on.: In network setting my network status just has a blank line with dotted lines in between. And there is no wifi button to click on the left side of the page. Also under the settings page in airplane mode the airplane mode toggle switch is locked in the on position. I have...