Windows 10: Indexing issue: drive is shown and "available" but never appears in "selected locations"...

Discus and support Indexing issue: drive is shown and "available" but never appears in "selected locations"... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HELP! I have 3 SATA drives on my Windows 10, C: duh, all my data on D: and then a Temp drive T: All 3 are shown as options in the "Indexed Locations"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IanKimbell, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Indexing issue: drive is shown and "available" but never appears in "selected locations"...

HELP!

I have 3 SATA drives on my Windows 10, C: duh, all my data on D: and then a Temp drive T: All 3 are shown as options in the "Indexed Locations" box.

Here is the kicker

- if I select D: in selected location then T: is shown in the summary

- if I select T: then T is shown

- If I select D and T only T is shown.

I have tried rebuilding the index - twice - no joy

I tried changing the drive letter from D: to F: - no joy

I have tried the old "add the channel number" to “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” - no joy

D and T used to be in a RAID 1 relationship but I stopped that.. Any ideas how I can index D:? Indexing issue: drive is shown and  "available" but never appears in "selected locations"... 8b0d8832-f9de-4102-9a53-eb035bf5127f?upload=true.jpg

:)

IanKimbell, Apr 26, 2020

2. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Apr 26, 2020
  3. RockFoxx Win User
    Windows 10 indexing selects wrong drive

I used a bootable CD containing
    EaseUS
    disk copier to clone the Win8.1 drive to a new HDD.

At your suggestion I tried changing the drive letter of the 8.1 disk from D: to I:. This did not fix the problem. When I select the C: drive to index it jumps to the I: drive and does not index any of the C: drive.

Again, I went into Device Manager and disabled to 2nd disk (the original 8.1) and that corrected the problem.

RockFoxx, Apr 26, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Indexing issue: drive is shown and "available" but never appears in "selected locations"...

Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume

Oddly I find the drive letter created by Truecrypt does not appear in the list of drives shown in Indexing Options, so I can't add it to be indexed, so you're doing better in that respect.

I'd suggest you experiment with file explorer: browse to your mounted Truecrypt drive, and see if you can then find a file instantly (i.e. indexed).

dalchina, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Indexing issue: drive is shown and "available" but never appears in "selected locations"...

1. Indexing issue: drive is shown and "available" but never appears in "selected locations"... - Similar Threads - Indexing issue drive

2. Change Selected Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Selected Indexed Locations: Hello, I was unchecking folders that I don't want to show up when searching windows, and I came across a folder location checked under index locations "CSC://{S-1-5-21-#####" bunch of numbers. I attached screenshot. It says to this location not available, uncheck to stop find...
  3. Change Selected Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Selected Indexed Locations: Hello, I was unchecking folders that I don't want to show up when searching windows, and I came across a folder location checked under index locations "CSC://{S-1-5-21-#####" bunch of numbers. I attached screenshot. It says to this location not available, uncheck to stop find...
  4. Location not available C drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location not available C drive.: I dont know if anyone is there but am in an emergency. Yesterday my Laptop shut down on it own and when it restarted, it had changed and gone back to its original settings. I was working on a project but was able to recover the files which seemed to be on another User...
  5. Unable to select correct drive to index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to select correct drive to index: My Windows 10 system has two drives. The C: drive is an SSD that was cloned from the HD which is now D:. Both drives are operating correctly except when it comes to indexing. When I access the Indexing Options control panel, and 'Modify' I am given a list to 'Change selected...
  6. Unable to select correct drive to index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select correct drive to index: My Windows 10 system has two drives. The C: drive is an SSD that was cloned from the HD which is now D:. Both drives are operating correctly except when it comes to indexing. When I access the Indexing Options control panel, and 'Modify' I am given a list to 'Change selected...
  7. Unable to select correct drive to index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  9. Re-imaging from external drive, but no drives appear in the "Select the location ..." list.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-imaging from external drive, but no drives appear in the "Select the location ..." list.: Trying to restore the C drive from a regular image on a plain old USB hard drive, while booted from a flash drive. I get to "Select the location of the backup ..." but the list is empty. "Refresh" doesn't do anything. "Advanced..." then gives me the choice to "Search ... on...
  10. Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexed Locations: Does anybody knows why this "csc://...." thing is in my indexed locations? I cant't get rid of it and everytime i uncheck it it comes again checked. Also when i scroll the mouse over it, it tells me that the location is not available. Help [ATTACH]...