Windows 10: Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

Discus and support Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business. I am a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Tim923347, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Tim923347 Win User

Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

Hello,

I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business.

I am a researcher and have hundreds of PDF documents stored locally but can't seem to get a good index of them built using native Windows iFilters. Further, I can't seem to get search to index files stored on OneDrive for Business so has to have search (using file explorer search dialogue) find these.

What is the future of search for Windows 10?

A little about my set up.

I am a small business with O365 subscription I have a small LAN but don't have any MS servers (like Sharepoint). I store my files on a hard drive/SSD with some (the ones I need multi-device access to) on OD4B. Hope this helps.

:)

Tim923347, Nov 16, 2018
  2. Wenkai Win User

Windows 10 search function works strange for the files in onedrive

I have a surface pro 3, which is just updated to windows 10. The following problem did not happen when I was in Windows 8, 8.1. For the files located in subfolders of onedrive that are also offline stored in my local disk, I use search to find these kind
    of files by keywords (I did the test by PDF files), then when you click one file of listed resulting pdf files, the system will open Edge browser and show you the file in online onedrive version. In windows 8.1, the file must be opened directly with one local
    version by one local application. But for any other local files out of onedrive folder, the search works correctly, you always open it locally by click. If I turn off WIFI, you cannot search any files in Onedrive folders, but search works fine for files out
    of Onedrive. I guess it may be because of indexing problem after updating. I ensure onedrive folder is included for indexing, and re-index all files from beginning. But this re-indexing does not help at all for this problem. In general, I feel files in onedrive
    and its indexing seems be stored in networking not local disk, but in fact they are kept locally. If you use the normal file explorer, you can open any file in Onedrive folder by click in local way, no browser directed and online version shown. I am quit ensure
    all files in Onedrive is stored in my local disk.

Does any other people have the same problem. How can we solve this issue. Thanks a lot.

Wenkai, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Drone Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Platibus Win User

Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business - Similar Threads - Indexing local files

2. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  3. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  4. OneDrive and local file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and local file: Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them from my laptop's local storage space to free up some space. Is it possible to delete files from my laptop without deleting...
  5. OneDrive and Local Files

OneDrive and Local Files: I cannot seem to stop this. It appears everything under THIS PC Documents, Photos, Music, etc. show both local files and OneDrive files. It gets confusing and sometimes I can't really tell but some save directly to OneDrive. How do I:Have ONLY files that are on the Local disk...
  6. Photos app not recognising locally stored Onedrive files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos app not recognising locally stored Onedrive files: My photos are all stored on Onedrive with pictures back up turned on. The pictures folder is set to "always keep on this device" so a copy is stored on my hard drive. However, when looking in file info in the Windows photo app all photos are from the source "OneDrive cloud...
  7. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...
  8. Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Access files cached locally in OneDrive for Business: Hi Community! I have left my old company and I would like to know if there is a way to access the files I had stored in OneDrive for Business? I can see/explore the files in OneDrive synced and stored on my personal machine but cannot open them due to permission restraints....
  9. My OneDrive files are not indexed

My OneDrive files are not indexed: I have tried to get my OneDrive indexed but Windows can't even find it to manually specify that it should be indexed. Google Drive and Box can be indexed but OneDrive is invisible to all versions of Windows 10 I have worked with for the last two years. That makes OneDrive...
  10. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. indexing pdf in onedrive

2. pdf indexing issue onedrive

3. indexing onedrive

4. how to index onedrive files,
  5. index onedrive for business,
  6. index onedrive files,
  7. onedrive for business server indexing,
  8. indexing onedrive for business,
  9. how to index onedrive content,
  10. indexing pdf on onedrive,
  11. indexing onedrive files,