Windows 10: Indexing not working when sorting by date

Discus and support Indexing not working when sorting by date in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So, I just moved a bunch of files from downloads to another folder. I indexed that folder, it seems to be just fine if i dont sort the files, but when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DenisRodyuk, Jun 4, 2023.

1. Indexing not working when sorting by date

So, I just moved a bunch of files from downloads to another folder. I indexed that folder, it seems to be just fine if i dont sort the files, but when I do sort them by date, it still loads. When this was in downloads and was sorted by date it did load. How do I fix this?

:)

DenisRodyuk, Jun 4, 2023

2. Indexing is not working

Hi Doc,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

This issue may occur due to corrupt Windows search files or settings. I suggest you to follow the below method and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run search and indexing troubleshooter
    and check. Please follow these steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.

• Click troubleshooting in the search results.

• Click "View all" and then click "Search and Indexing".

• Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Check if Indexing and Windows Search services are enabled. If not, enable them, if they are already enabled, then disable Windows Search Service and then enable again and restart.

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type services in the run box, go to the Windows search services and restart them.
    Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Jun 4, 2023
  3. Graeme.P Win User
    Sort by date added to folder

Hi there, thanks for your question.

In File Explorer, all sorting options can be viewed by following these steps:

- Open the folder and right click inside of it, not on a file.

- Go to Sort by > More.

This brings up a list of all possibilities of what to sort by. It doesn't look like there's an options for "date added to folder", but one of the other Date options may help, such as Date Created. You could create a copy of the file and move it in, so that
    the date created matches the date added to the folder?

Please let me know if you need more information! Thanks!

Graeme.P, Jun 4, 2023
  4. LesFerch Win User

Indexing not working when sorting by date

Unable to sort or filter media by date, date-modified, etc, using Windows 11

You computer might be getting hung up on indexing those files. Note that indexing is NOT needed to sort by date. Indexing is most helpful for searching the contents of documents. I suggest turning indexing OFF to see if that speeds things up. See the tutorial here:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-search-indexing-in-windows-11.2943/

LesFerch, Jun 4, 2023
Thema:

Indexing not working when sorting by date

1. Indexing not working when sorting by date - Similar Threads - Indexing working sorting

2. Indexing not working when sorting by date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing not working when sorting by date: So, I just moved a bunch of files from downloads to another folder. I indexed that folder, it seems to be just fine if i dont sort the files, but when I do sort them by date, it still loads. When this was in downloads and was sorted by date it did load. How do I fix this?...
  3. Indexing not working when sorting by date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing not working when sorting by date: So, I just moved a bunch of files from downloads to another folder. I indexed that folder, it seems to be just fine if i dont sort the files, but when I do sort them by date, it still loads. When this was in downloads and was sorted by date it did load. How do I fix this?...
  4. sort by date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sort by date: I download and collect a lot of anime pics. I have noticed ,that sometime recently, the sort by date setting ,no longer sorts them by the date I downloaded them, but rather by the original date on the picture. is there any way I can revert it back to using the date...
  5. sort by date

sort by date: I download and collect a lot of anime pics. I have noticed ,that sometime recently, the sort by date setting ,no longer sorts them by the date I downloaded them, but rather by the original date on the picture. is there any way I can revert it back to using the date...
  6. Sorting Photos by date

Sorting Photos by date: After the latest update to Photos, the option to import the photos by date isnt available any more. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sorting-photos-by-date/99a856b7-40a0-48ed-be3b-98b2986d869c
  7. Sort by date not working correctly

Sort by date not working correctly: i recently updated to windows 10 from 8.1 and the sort by date in the downloads folder is failing miserably, files that are downloaded are appearing in the middle of the folder or even at the last and in random locations, this is really frustrating and i tried all sort by...
  8. Sorting photos by date

Sorting photos by date: I'm scanning and adding many old photos. The Photo app sees the Date Created as the date I scanned the photos. I thought if I filed them by date in My Pictures, they would appear by that date in Photos. Do I really have to go back to each photo and change the date created?...
  9. Date Modified Sort Not Working Properly

Date Modified Sort Not Working Properly: Hi, I just installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit about a week ago and noticed an issue where if I'm sorting a folder (specifically my Download folder) to have the most recent files at the top, new downloaded files will sometimes be put at the bottom. If I click the Date Modified...
  10. Slow Folder Loading when sorting by Date

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow Folder Loading when sorting by Date: I am a photographer and needless to say have thousands of photos on my computer. However, I've noticed since upgrading to Windows 10 that a folder with only 5 jpeg's can take 10 seconds to load (with the green process bar) if I sort by date. Seems to be fine with file name...