Windows 10: Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ?

Discus and support Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On all versions of W10 I notice that my number of indexed files grows daily by anything up to a few hundred. If I rebuild the index then the number... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mooly, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Mooly Win User

Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ?

On all versions of W10 I notice that my number of indexed files grows daily by anything up to a few hundred.

If I rebuild the index then the number of files indexed files falls dramatically as can be seen here. I have a suspicion it could be caused by a particular program I use but thought I would see whether other users experience the same thing. As I type this the total is still increasing even though it says indexing complete.

Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ? [​IMG]

Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ? [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, Apr 22, 2018

2. Windows 10 - Understanding the Indexing information for Searching

It shouldn't as far as I know. I've never watched it quite so closely but my understanding is it will always reflect the size of the indexed items database, which should be one for every filesystem object that is indexed (plus Start menu and some other
    Control Panel shortcuts, that "all settings" reference page that everyone loves to call "God Mode" is just for the search indexer to gobble up) and email indexed.

Anyway I'm certainly curious. I can't say how normal that is. I can tell you what my personal system here looks like if you'd care to know. I looked at my c:\users folder and grabbed the size of my user account folder. I have a little over 180,000 files
    (inside 29,000 folders taking up 261GB of space). But my indexed items count is 441,283. I don't think my emails and internet history would make up that much more items, but I am not sure how to tell what's in there.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 22, 2018
  3. MarkH_NL Win User
    Windows 10 - Understanding the Indexing information for Searching

I am trying to understand the information I am seeing in the screen "Indexing options" in Windows 10 (version 1703).

For quite a few file types I am indexing the contents as well as the file name.

I altered some of the included and excluded locations, changed a few file types (to include in the index), and let the system rebuild the index. Apart from taking a very long time, I first saw the text "393.364 items indexed". But a day later that number
    is dropping, now it is at "385.667 items indexed". I have not changed any file names or the index options since starting with the rebuild. So why is the number dropping? And at first the item count went quite fast, now the changes are very slow with minimal
    changes to the item count.

Any suggestions how this works, or should work?

MarkH_NL, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ?

1. Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ? - Similar Threads - Indexing number items

2. index number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    index number: I had to do a new windows install and somehow when I open up the file explorer and clicked on the search icon it would open up and have a index number which when I do click on the number it opens up and shows me all that is in my computer but the number there now does not...
  3. index number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    index number: I had to do a new windows install and somehow when I open up the file explorer and clicked on the search icon it would open up and have a index number which when I do click on the number it opens up and shows me all that is in my computer but the number there now does not...
  4. index number

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing: Hi everyone,I have the following problem.On a domain controller of Server 2019, which is also File Server, indexing is activated on a disk D-drive Start Menu and Users. Randomly I find out that the D-drive is missing from the indexing and I can't find any files. In the...
  6. Indexing.

in Cortana
    Indexing.: Whenever I try to find a document of a word in a document, I can only get "Indexing Options" and "Included Locations" and "Exclude". Both are empty and I cannot enter anything. Can you please show me a STEP by STEP guide to indexing. I know nothing about computing and all of...
  7. Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing: Looking for some help! I'm moving all my music files on to a 10TB external drive. The problem I have is when I move the files to the hard drive and then search for them, they don't appear> But if I look where I know they are, I find them no problem. I'm going to be using the...
  8. The index .

in Windows 10 Customization
    The index .: The windows index is very thorough and the blue list of results is amazingly detailed. As a result, most search results include several items, any of which might be what you are looking for - maybe hedgehogs. So you click on one and have a look at what document or video or...
  9. Indexing

in Cortana
    Indexing: How does indexing affect searches ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/indexing/676995f2-86b8-47be-9cd0-0c54e155a416"
  10. 0 items indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    0 items indexed: Allow me to preface this by stating that I have found several similar if not identical issues on this website as well as others. In an effort to help one another reach a solution to this apparently common problem, I thought it best to post the following: I too am having...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. widows indexing how it count the items indexed