Windows 10: indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ???

Discus and support indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I went to services.msc and it said search service delayed start, so I changed to start, and it only displays 'starting'. So is it not running or is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sdowney717, Jan 22, 2017.

1. indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ???

I went to services.msc and it said search service delayed start, so I changed to start, and it only displays 'starting'.

So is it not running or is the service sort of running rebuilding the index, or is it sort of messed up?

I did tell it to rebuild the index an hour ago.

indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ??? [​IMG]

:)

sdowney717, Jan 22, 2017

2. Windows not searching program names?

Okay I found the answer!

What I needed to do was:

1.) Rebuild the index

2.) Stop the Windows Search Service

3.) Delete the search "Data" folder where the index is saved (see indexing options for the location)

4.) Restarted the Windows Search Service

5.) Rebuild the index again

And that fixed it!

Micro-tech, Jan 22, 2017
  3. Doc K Win User
    Indexing off and cannot get it back on

Hi Vanessa,

I reset the service to local System account and tried to rebuild the index. After clicking the rebuild option, I get a dialog box that says "Rebuilding the index might take a long time to complete. Some views and search results might be incomplete
    until rebuilding is finished." However, after clicking OK, the dialog box disappears and nothing else seems to happen, even after waiting over-night.

Doc K, Jan 22, 2017
  4. indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ???

It has failed to start 41 times, lots of errors trying to start.
    How do you fix this?
    I set the search service to manual.
    then rebooted.
    then tried to start, and it failed with error

sdowney717, Jan 22, 2017
  5. sdowney717, Jan 22, 2017
  6. came across this
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...es-or-programs

My registry IS missing those entries

however

the folder TxR claims to be empty, i have show hidden files checked. But the folder under properties says there is
    16mb of files in there. I cant rename so maybe boot linux to see.
    The 'fix' is delete files in TxR.

sdowney717, Jan 22, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Jan 22, 2017
  8. indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ???

I tried something.
    I pulled the drive and put it into a win7 PC, wanted to see if the folder TxR was empty or not.

On boot up, win7 warned the disk needed a file check, took about 30 minutes finding many many index errors and deleted some files too.

So I put drive back into it's PC and boot, and Wsearch is now running.

Since it is running now, do I need to rebuild the index?

I have no idea why. Why did win10 not warn about it's own disk?

sdowney717, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ???

1. indexing service was off, nothing indexed, so told it rebuild, but ??? - Similar Threads - indexing service was

2. Windows indexing rebuilding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows indexing rebuilding: Hi everyone ! I checked out other posts on the forum before posting here but here is the problem. I think I may have deleted the index location from my PC a while ago while tinkering around with something. After doing that, my indexing stopped working and I tried different...
  3. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot rebuild index: I'm trying to rebuild the search and index on my Windows 10 PC but it keeps pausing itself.I've tried the search and index troubleshooter to no avail.I've tried restarting Windows Search, which does unpause it, but it automatically repauses in 1-2 seconds.How do I rebuild my...
  4. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot rebuild index: I'm trying to rebuild the search and index on my Windows 10 PC but it keeps pausing itself.I've tried the search and index troubleshooter to no avail.I've tried restarting Windows Search, which does unpause it, but it automatically repauses in 1-2 seconds.How do I rebuild my...
  5. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. rebuilding index

in Cortana
    rebuilding index: my windows search bar is not allowing me to type it also will not let me type into the search ber in file explorer. looked up some youtube videos and followed all the methods and none of them were working and i came across rebuilding the index and it is for some reason paused...
  7. rebuilding index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rebuilding index: my windows search bar is not allowing me to type it also will not let me type into the search ber in file explorer. looked up some youtube videos and followed all the methods and none of them were working and i came across rebuilding the index and it is for some reason paused...
  8. rebuilding index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Problem rebuilding index

in Cortana
    Problem rebuilding index: Anyone else experiencing this problem?Cant resolve the issue with rebuilding its index? and restarting the windows search service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-rebuilding-index/93b93c30-5d46-4038-abce-4b816e120c67
  10. Indexing keeps rebuilding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing keeps rebuilding: HI - all I have done for the last 5 days is work on Windows Index. It takes over a day to index my PC i7 with 16 Gig Ram including an external drive. In total 2m files. Now for the 3rd time, the index just rebuilds itself from scratch. I did a refresh install of Windows on...