Windows 10: Indexing speed slows to a crawl after Windows October 2018 update

Discus and support Indexing speed slows to a crawl after Windows October 2018 update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I rely heavily on the Windows 10 search/index feature on a daily basis. Prior to the most recent Windows update, rebuilding a new index never took more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PMac10000, May 10, 2019.

1. PMac10000 Win User

Indexing speed slows to a crawl after Windows October 2018 update

I rely heavily on the Windows 10 search/index feature on a daily basis. Prior to the most recent Windows update, rebuilding a new index never took more than a few hours tops... I have a few 100K items to index, including multiple large Outlook pst archives. But no big deal till recently... Indexing and search was relatively quick, reliable, and thorough.

Since 1809 update however, the index speed has slowed to a crawl. It's been about 5 days now, and the PC has been on (mostly) 24/7 since then... and the index re-build that happens with a Windows update is still going. Up to about 120K items now. To be fair, I deleted and re-built the index a few times along the way because it appeared to be hung or not moving at all... but I seem to be indexing about 50K items a day at best, which is at least a 10x speed decrease from before.

Everything else is fine after the update, and no other processes are stressing the system. I've disabled the "backoff on user activity" index option already, so index runs all the time. On the bright side, the (partial) search results work great, and the preview function for Outlook emails (which was lost about 5 years ago...) is back! But that's small consolation until this indexing speed issue is fixed.

Appreciate any help in advance.

:)

PMac10000, May 10, 2019

2. Microsoft store download speeds and windows 10 app load speeds are very slow

Hi Riel,

Reuben

ReubenFaleiro, May 10, 2019
  3. Microsoft update December 2018

Since a Windows update on 12th December 2018, my computer has been running, or is that crawling(?) along at a ridiculously slow pace.

Why is this and what can be done to get back normal speed?

JenniferRendell, May 10, 2019
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Microsoft store download speeds and windows 10 app load speeds are very slow

Thank you for your reply.

Some users have reported that they're experiencing some computer issues after installing KB4074588. In this case, we suggest uninstalling the said update by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + i to open Settings, then select
      Update & security.
    • Click Update history.
    • Under Update history, click Uninstall updates.
    • Highlight KB4074588, then click Uninstall (beside Organize).

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Riel Alc, May 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Indexing speed slows to a crawl after Windows October 2018 update - Similar Threads - Indexing speed slows

2. Slow to a crawl after 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow to a crawl after 20H2: I updated Windows 10 a week ago to 20H2 and I have had a host of problems including: disk usage always at 100%, startup taking 10-15min consistently, web based programs (chrome, discord) take AGES to open, wifi dropping/cutting out. I've seen other people mentioning BSODs but...
  3. My download speed has been slowed to a crawl.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My download speed has been slowed to a crawl.: I'm not sure what happened, but the other day my download speed just started going at a snail's pace. I have multiple devices using that connection, and the download speed on everything else is fine. I've seen a few things saying that the registry may be causing the issue,...
  4. Indexing speed slows to a crawl after Windows October 2018 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexing speed slows to a crawl after Windows October 2018 update: I rely heavily on the Windows 10 search/index feature on a daily basis. Prior to the most recent Windows update, rebuilding a new index never took more than a few hours tops... I have a few 100K items to index, including multiple large Outlook pst archives. But no big deal...
  5. Windows not Activated after the 1809 October 2018 Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows not Activated after the 1809 October 2018 Update: This is the second time I'm facing this issue. Two days ago I tried to update to the latest version hoping to see some new features. 1 minute later I got a message saying my windows is not activated. I tried using the troubleshoot option since I have the digital license. It...
  6. Computer Freezes after October 2018 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer Freezes after October 2018 Update: I'm struggling to get my PC build from several years ago running without freezes after the latest automatic updates. The PC has run flawlessly since Windows 10 first became available and now, October 2018 it freezes up. At first I thought it was my old wireless keyboard...
  7. Endless loop after October 2018 update

Endless loop after October 2018 update: i update my PC through your software and nơw it stucked in a endless loop with some “undoing” bla bla ?????????? please help I’m so mad right now MS this was not supposed to happen with an official big update for Window 10...
  8. Endless loop after October 2018 update

Endless loop after October 2018 update: i update my PC through your software and nơw it stucked in a endless loop with some “undoing” bla bla ?????????? please help I’m so mad right now MS this was not supposed to happen with an official big update for Window 10...
  9. windows 10 october update 2018

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 october update 2018: hi joydeep sir what bug fixes included in this update for windows 10 october 1809 and aslo what features included. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-october-update-2018/9b39add1-fba9-40d1-8693-31aaf4cc4c1b
  10. WINDOWS OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE

WINDOWS OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE: Hi. I want to ask about my windows update. Why is the windows october 2018 keep redownloading in my pc? at first it downloaded until 100%. then it later attempts to install it (which made my pc real slow). the Windows Update then displayed that the same update (version 1809)...