Windows 10: indexing the files in a folder

Discus and support indexing the files in a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have to index the files in a folder which are inside subfolders. [img] I have made a Microsoft word document. I am manually going in each folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sandila, Nov 27, 2020.

1. sandila Win User

indexing the files in a folder

I have to index the files in a folder which are inside subfolders.

indexing the files in a folder [​IMG]

I have made a Microsoft word document. I am manually going in each folder and then
    opening command prompt and then on command prompt I type dir /b
    I get some output and then I paste it on word document.
    I have made a table column A for folder names which are dates (folder name represents date of work)
    and then there are files inside that folder.
    I basically find it difficult to track what work was done on which date. As I have to make a daily status report of each days work.
    Often I am confused about files as where is a particular file when I have to look into a particular file I do not remember in which subfolder I should be looking. So I am making an index of files for my own reference.So is there some way to automate this task of making index of files in word document easily.
    I use Windows 10.

:)

sandila, Nov 27, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

indexing Publisher files

Hi,

What do you mean when you say 'how can I change Publisher to the other filter ?'

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

Hi Tim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows 10 has a search indexing service that creates as index of all files in your Windows 10 that greatly improves look up speed. We would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to add folders to Indexing Options.

1. Open Indexing Options by searching for it in search bar.
    2. Click on Modify and choose the folders in the
      Change selected locations.
    3. Then click on OK and Windows will immediately start indexing the new folder.

If you still feel that the searching in Windows needs improvement, kindly provide you suggestions and feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or NO.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Nov 27, 2020
  4. NovatoN Win User

Windows 10 not displaying search results for indexed shortcuts in a folder.

Thanks Deepika,

I had tried running this troubleshooter before, but I've just run it again with "Files don't appear in search results" and "My problem isn't listed above" ticked, and it comes up with "Issue not present" against all potential issues, and "Troubleshooting
    couldn't identify the problem", even after troubleshooting as an administrator.

I'd be glad of any other suggestions please!

NovatoN, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

1. indexing the files in a folder - Similar Threads - indexing files folder

2. Indexing of a virtual folder cloud files API impossible on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing of a virtual folder cloud files API impossible on Windows: Hello,I use Nextcloud which is using the cloud files API Cloud Sync Engine. In Windows indexing options, I'm usually able to choose which folder to index or not. But I can't see these "virtual" folders the ones using the cloud files API when I click on Modify to choose which...
  3. Indexing of a virtual folder cloud files API impossible on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing of a virtual folder cloud files API impossible on Windows: Hello,I use Nextcloud which is using the cloud files API Cloud Sync Engine. In Windows indexing options, I'm usually able to choose which folder to index or not. But I can't see these "virtual" folders the ones using the cloud files API when I click on Modify to choose which...
  4. File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders: Hi,This issue started today at work on several computers on both Windows 11 and Windows 10. Could it be related to a recent Windows update? Pdf files and only PDF's previews aren't working in any network folders, Instead of showing the file preview it shows "INDEX...
  5. File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer: PDF's preview showing "INDEX OF" in network folders: Hi,This issue started today at work on several computers on both Windows 11 and Windows 10. Could it be related to a recent Windows update? Pdf files and only PDF's previews aren't working in any network folders, Instead of showing the file preview it shows "INDEX...
  6. Excluded indexing folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Excluded indexing folders: I changed the excluded indexing folders and now I want to return everything to the default state, how i can do this? I mean, reset excluded indexing folders. submitted by /u/TheLerny [link] [comments]...
  7. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  8. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...
  9. documents folder in index

documents folder in index: what does a red x mean when attached to a documents folder in the index https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-in-index/93395550-ca04-41d3-982d-5e1f89fbf8c5"
  10. Start menu folders are not indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu folders are not indexed: Hi all, In win 7 I was able to put folders and shortcuts on the desktop (or every indexed folder) and when I went to: - START - SEARCH I was able to write a folder or shorcut or even a portion of them and Win 7 gave me immediately the chance to click on them (just...