Windows 10: Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image?

Discus and support Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; With a glut of memory options out there now, the choice is overwhelming... but no complaints, because it seems there's tremendous flexibility to suit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cytherian, Aug 6, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image?

With a glut of memory options out there now, the choice is overwhelming... but no complaints, because it seems there's tremendous flexibility to suit many needs. Probably the most economical way to keep a Windows backup is to use an external HDD, especially considering prices. Let's say you've got that already, but want to have a secondary backup, a small and portable way to restore your Windows operating system using a USB connected data source.

So as I see it, there are several USB based options:
    • Dedicated USB flash memory drive
    • SD or Micro SD card using USB adapter
    • SSD connected via USB

I'd consider the read speed to be the most important factor, as the data will be transferred from the USB data source to the computer's main drive (SSD or HDD). SD or Micro SD generally has slower read speeds than USB drives and $1/Gb is usually higher than USB... but they're more flexible (you can re-purpose for use in portable devices such as phones/cameras). And since data restore is usually not a common need, the source doesn't need to provide the fastest read speeds. There's probably a "sweet spot" on the read speed + total memory size to price ratio.

All in all, my guess is that for the purposes of backup/restore of Windows, it's probably best to go with a reputable USB flash memory drive. From what I've read, compatibility is inherently better with USB drives vs. SD cards (which can be a problem if you don't have Internet access to get the latest driver). It'll be faster than the equivalent priced SD card and its "hand friendly" form factor means you'll have less chance of losing it. Does that seem to be a fair assessment?

:)

cytherian, Aug 6, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Please help me restore windows 10

raymond.bell, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

Windows 10 update June 13, 2017

Hi Stephen,

Listed below are some reasons why slow performance of the computer happen:

• A lot of installed applications.
    • Not enough memory.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Missing and corrupted system files.

We suggest following the steps on this article that can help improve the performance of your computer.

Get back to us if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image? - Similar Threads - Inexpensive reasonably performing

2. Windows 10 Sudden Sluggish Performance. 100% memory and disk usage.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Sudden Sluggish Performance. 100% memory and disk usage.: The original Q. was from Nagendra17 Windows 10 Sudden Sluggish Performance. 100% memory and disk usage. So just randomly out of the blue my brand new HP Omen laptop suddently just began to become borderline unresponsive. When I opened up task manager, I’ve noticed that...
  3. Windows 10 Deactivated For No Reason

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Deactivated For No Reason: i suddenly got this watermark yesterday saying i need to activate my windows. this is the first time this happened after buying this laptop for almost 2 years now. also the windows activation troubleshooter won't connect to the microsoft server (0xc0020036) this g**d*mn...
  4. Optane Memory and System Imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Optane Memory and System Imaging: I read that Optane memory combined with a regular hard drive can provide SSD-like performance and large storage capacity. This would be a great thing to have in a new desktop computer, assuming there are not a lot of tradeoffs. One thing I was wondering about was system...
  5. Background image processing performance in Windows 10 becoming slower

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Background image processing performance in Windows 10 becoming slower: The latest Windows 10 once again performs background image updates slower than the previous update! In workstations with two monitors both screen go now black and stay black so long that it badly disturbs working. 54512
  6. Poor system performance with memory compression

Poor system performance with memory compression: So, I'm having a hard time being convinced that memory compression (aka. Superfetch) is designed to improve system performance, because ever since I upgraded to windows 10, it's been doing the exact opposite. Now, I'm one of those guys who likes to leave their system on...
  7. High CPU and memory for unknown reason

High CPU and memory for unknown reason: Hello, I got myself a pretty nice, pretty fast Acer Aspire laptop, about 3 months ago. It's definitely better than my old Acer Aspire. This one has more gb, more memory and a better video card. It can run a few games, it can run my art software, and it can handle that I'm...
  8. "System and compressed memory" is very high for no reason

"System and compressed memory" is very high for no reason: As the title says, in the last day or two i have noticed that "System and compressed memory" is very high for no reason. It has started to grind my PC to a halt. Any ideas what could be causing it? Thanks. 44184
  9. Improve website performance by optimizing images

in Windows 10 News
    Improve website performance by optimizing images: We all want our web applications to load as fast as possible to give the best possible experience to the users. One of the steps to achieve that is to make sure the images we use are as optimized as possible. If we can reduce the file size of the images then we can...
  10. Random Shutdown Memory Dumps: Reasons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Shutdown Memory Dumps: Reasons?: After I boot the system up in the morning, sometimes there is a memory dump file that is time stamped at the last shutdown. Shutdowns are done with no apps running, but with usual processes running. Shutdowns are done from the Windows pop up and there are no errors displayed...