Windows 10: Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image?

Discus and support Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; With a glut of memory options out there now, the choice is overwhelming... but no complaints, because it seems there's tremendous flexibility to suit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cytherian, Aug 6, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image?

With a glut of memory options out there now, the choice is overwhelming... but no complaints, because it seems there's tremendous flexibility to suit many needs. Probably the most economical way to keep a Windows backup is to use an external HDD, especially considering prices. Let's say you've got that already, but want to have a secondary backup, a small and portable way to restore your Windows operating system using a USB connected data source.

So as I see it, there are several USB based options:
    • Dedicated USB flash memory drive
    • SD or Micro SD card using USB adapter
    • SSD connected via USB

I'd consider the read speed to be the most important factor, as the data will be transferred from the USB data source to the computer's main drive (SSD or HDD). SD or Micro SD generally has slower read speeds than USB drives and $1/Gb is usually higher than USB... but they're more flexible (you can re-purpose for use in portable devices such as phones/cameras). And since data restore is usually not a common need, the source doesn't need to provide the fastest read speeds. There's probably a "sweet spot" on the read speed + total memory size to price ratio.

All in all, my guess is that for the purposes of backup/restore of Windows, it's probably best to go with a reputable USB flash memory drive. From what I've read, compatibility is inherently better with USB drives vs. SD cards (which can be a problem if you don't have Internet access to get the latest driver). It'll be faster than the equivalent priced SD card and its "hand friendly" form factor means you'll have less chance of losing it. Does that seem to be a fair assessment?

:)

cytherian, Aug 6, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Unable to use System restore from a windows 10 image on Windows 7 with error: "windows cannot find a system image-the usb drive is not visible"

Please help me restore windows 10

raymond.bell, Aug 6, 2018
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

Windows 10 update June 13, 2017

Hi Stephen,

Listed below are some reasons why slow performance of the computer happen:

• A lot of installed applications.
    • Not enough memory.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Missing and corrupted system files.

We suggest following the steps on this article that can help improve the performance of your computer.

Get back to us if you have other concerns.

Mayra Aqu, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Inexpensive but reasonably performing memory for Windows 10 image? - Similar Threads - Inexpensive reasonably performing

2. Memory management BSOD with no clear reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory management BSOD with no clear reason: Hello, I've posted a week ago when I've gotten 2 memory management bluescreens. The poster there analyzed minidumps and concluded it was most likely a driver issue. I've already did sfc /scannow with no invalid files and updated my drivers. I hope my GPU isn't the cause as...
  3. Memory at 95% for no reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Memory at 95% for no reason: The most I'm running is chrome but even when I'm not it's still at 90%. What I'm running doesn't add up even close to 16gb of ram which is what I have. I did a virus scan and nothing showed up, looked in my settings and it detects the 16 gigs of ram. Not sure wtf is happening...
  4. Inexpensive non-pirated software?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inexpensive non-pirated software?: I guess I want my cake and eat it. I don't want to use pirated software because I don't want to be hacked and it is also illegal but at the same time I want to pay the lowest price. I am confused though. I just did a google search for Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2016 and I am...
  5. Help with memory/performance issues

Help with memory/performance issues: For a while now, I've noticed my memory usage is higher than it should be, and my disk spikes very easily. I've brought all my drivers up to date recently and that helped a lot but my memory is still quite high. Even with nothing but malwarebytes running in the background...
  6. Slow performance due to unknown reasons.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow performance due to unknown reasons.: So, the issue started after Windows Feature Update 2004. My laptop which is only a month old began to lag and it was unable to open Office apps quickly and slowly the issue spread to not being able to multi task in Word and MS Teams simultaneously, unresponsive apps etc. I...
  7. Slow performance for no reason

Slow performance for no reason: I've had some troubles with my computer lately. It started working very slowly one day for no reason this past week, and I haven't been able to fix it since. In the end I simply tried a clean install of W10, but even then it kept being slow. After that I tried a clean...
  8. Is there an inexpensive way to lower GPU temp.?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is there an inexpensive way to lower GPU temp.?: Hello My PC do froze occasionally. When doing the FurMark test, I do see that the temp is reaching nearly 100 'C on my GT 630 card. I know better now what I low end price card can and can't do. Can't be sure if the temperature do cause my PC problem, but it probably...
  9. High CPU and memory for unknown reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU and memory for unknown reason: Hello, I got myself a pretty nice, pretty fast Acer Aspire laptop, about 3 months ago. It's definitely better than my old Acer Aspire. This one has more gb, more memory and a better video card. It can run a few games, it can run my art software, and it can handle that I'm...
  10. Need to find an inexpensive laptop that will run DAW's

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to find an inexpensive laptop that will run DAW's: So I just started to compose music on my synthesizer and need a laptop to coordinate composition on my DAW software (digital audio workstation) and the hardware I will connect (keyboards). Can someone please tell me of an inexpensive laptop that will suffice for this. It's...