Windows 10: Inexplicable restarts

Discus and support Inexplicable restarts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please. I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Terrypin Win User

Inexplicable restarts

I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please.

I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted inexplicably.

I'm trying to discover what caused it. Studying Event logs quickly leaves me wondering how my PC can be working at all, and despair at ever finding the needle in the haystack. In Event Viewer I need to discover which of the daunting number of Warnings and Errors caused the restart. Many of them have apparently been occurring daily, so logically it seems I can rule those out.

Here are a selection of screenshots I'm hoping might offer
    some clue. First for the overnight issues:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7r9sthrz...ly-1.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrctcfl83i...ly-2.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h308e1p2ir...ly-3.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzee1l8h20...2064.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb7wnz9ntc...0001.jpg?raw=1

And for the latest restart today, instead of Event Viewer, this time I downloaded and used Nirsoft's FullEventLogView. Here's a screenshot showing the entries around that time. (And, in case it's relevant, details of one of the many Event 504 entries.)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5ivxu868k...st-1.jpg?raw=1

Meanwhile I've just disabled Automatic Restart, so hopefully I'll get a clue next time it happens.

Also, in case it's a possible factor, I checked 'Update & Security' > 'Windows Update' and saw the reassuring
    "You're up to date". But I clicked 'Check for Updates' anyway and there were two items. (One was 'pending..something or other' and the other a cumulative update, referencing KB4346783. I should have taken a screenshot.) So clearly I was NOT up to date. User error/misunderstanding, or a WU bug?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Aug 31, 2018
  2. little cat, Aug 31, 2018
  3. random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Aug 31, 2018
  4. Inexplicable restarts

PC Randomly Restarting after installing new Ram!

Tried your suggestions, but still had a restart! Also ran memtest overnight (13 hours according to memtest) and had no errors! Also ran Passmark Burn in test for a couple hours testing everything and had no errors or restart. Could fitting the new ram have triggered something to go bad like my mobo or psu?

Daryl Gill, Aug 31, 2018
Thema:

Inexplicable restarts

1. Inexplicable restarts - Similar Threads - Inexplicable restarts

2. Quick access in Explorer disappears inexplicably

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick access in Explorer disappears inexplicably: Dear CommunityI am facing a pressing issue in the support department of my company regarding the Quick Access bar in Windows Explorer, which inexplicably disappears. The pinned links there are getting detached and simply vanish.All devices in our company are using:Windows 11...
  3. Quick access in Explorer disappears inexplicably

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick access in Explorer disappears inexplicably: Dear CommunityI am facing a pressing issue in the support department of my company regarding the Quick Access bar in Windows Explorer, which inexplicably disappears. The pinned links there are getting detached and simply vanish.All devices in our company are using:Windows 11...
  4. Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.: There are two instances of Windows 10 on this computer, one each on two separate physical drives. I do not understand why the "active" version suddenly changed during a session two days ago 2023-07-22. I am finding the change disruptive to my work and want to return to the...
  5. Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.: There are two instances of Windows 10 on this computer, one each on two separate physical drives. I do not understand why the "active" version suddenly changed during a session two days ago 2023-07-22. I am finding the change disruptive to my work and want to return to the...
  6. Two instances of Windows 10 on one computer; active version inexplicably changed.

7. random inexplicable behaviour

in Windows 10 Gaming
    random inexplicable behaviour: recently about a week or so ago an update was forced on me now I am experienceing multiple random inexplicable behaviour i.e I cannot discern any firm pattern except to suspect the gesktop feature which it seems you are forced or is automatically used. The first inkling was...
  8. random inexplicable behaviour

random inexplicable behaviour: recently about a week or so ago an update was forced on me now I am experienceing multiple random inexplicable behaviour i.e I cannot discern any firm pattern except to suspect the gesktop feature which it seems you are forced or is automatically used. The first inkling was...
  9. random inexplicable behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows 11, seemingly inexplicable BSOD crashes at random.

Windows 11, seemingly inexplicable BSOD crashes at random.: The title pretty much, I have no idea what might be causing this issue, I've fully reinstalled windows 2x by now, so I don't think it's driver related, I've tried a lot of the scans in cmd already, like the dism scan and scannow, I can't access automatic repair, it seems like...