Windows 10: Inexplicable restarts

Discus and support Inexplicable restarts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please. I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Terrypin Win User

Inexplicable restarts

I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please.

I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted inexplicably.

I'm trying to discover what caused it. Studying Event logs quickly leaves me wondering how my PC can be working at all, and despair at ever finding the needle in the haystack. In Event Viewer I need to discover which of the daunting number of Warnings and Errors caused the restart. Many of them have apparently been occurring daily, so logically it seems I can rule those out.

Here are a selection of screenshots I'm hoping might offer
    some clue. First for the overnight issues:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u7r9sthrz...ly-1.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrctcfl83i...ly-2.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h308e1p2ir...ly-3.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzee1l8h20...2064.jpg?raw=1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb7wnz9ntc...0001.jpg?raw=1

And for the latest restart today, instead of Event Viewer, this time I downloaded and used Nirsoft's FullEventLogView. Here's a screenshot showing the entries around that time. (And, in case it's relevant, details of one of the many Event 504 entries.)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5ivxu868k...st-1.jpg?raw=1

Meanwhile I've just disabled Automatic Restart, so hopefully I'll get a clue next time it happens.

Also, in case it's a possible factor, I checked 'Update & Security' > 'Windows Update' and saw the reassuring
    "You're up to date". But I clicked 'Check for Updates' anyway and there were two items. (One was 'pending..something or other' and the other a cumulative update, referencing KB4346783. I should have taken a screenshot.) So clearly I was NOT up to date. User error/misunderstanding, or a WU bug?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Aug 31, 2018
  2. little cat Win User
    little cat, Aug 31, 2018
  3. Marilou Ser Win User
    random restarts

Hi Lili,

Hardware failure or system instability can cause the computer to
    randomly restarts. As our initial troubleshooting step, we suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter on your computer and check if it fixes the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type Troubleshoot.
    • Under Find and fix other problems look for
      Power.
    • Then Run the troubleshooter.

Update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Marilou Ser, Aug 31, 2018
  4. Daryl Gill Win User

Inexplicable restarts

PC Randomly Restarting after installing new Ram!

Tried your suggestions, but still had a restart! Also ran memtest overnight (13 hours according to memtest) and had no errors! Also ran Passmark Burn in test for a couple hours testing everything and had no errors or restart. Could fitting the new ram have triggered something to go bad like my mobo or psu?

Daryl Gill, Aug 31, 2018
Thema:

Inexplicable restarts

1. Inexplicable restarts - Similar Threads - Inexplicable restarts

2. ease of access mouse settings not saving after restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ease of access mouse settings not saving after restart: Every time I restart my computer i have to go back int the ease of access settings and change the setting "control your mouse with keypad" to off. But when i reset my computer it turns itself back on. I tried changing on the startup screen but there is no option....
  3. Restart failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restart failed: I compleatly rebooted my computer. I saved no files. Once I think the process was done. The screen was blank for two hours. I pressed the power button. And I would see the first screen of my start up and then nothing. It will not turn on. I see one screen as if it were going...
  4. When will Mircosoft stop the forced restart?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When will Mircosoft stop the forced restart?: I have tried many suggestions with nothing working. It is a monthly occurrence whenever an update happens next thing i know my pc has restarted and ive lost data, work, and time which is permanent and cause so many difficulties. I can put up with persistent reminders while im...
  5. Blue screen error restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen error restart: Does anyone know where I can get the code on my blue screen warning read? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/blue-screen-error-restart/dcf5dec5-f0cf-4dee-89f8-427d6798035b
  6. HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HidD_SetOutputReport API failing due to timeout after some restarts: Hi, I am currently working on migrating a application with Win 7 embedded OS to Win 10. In our system, there is a customized keyboard and we are writing/updating it using Windows API "HidD_SetOutputReport", many times during operations in our system. After migration to Win...
  7. How do I disable outside-active-hours restarting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I disable outside-active-hours restarting?: I hate this "feature" of Windows deciding to restart my computer without my permission, just because it feels like it. Not only do I run a web server on my PC, but I also have many open documents at times, plenty of which I don't save. That doesn't mean I don't need the...
  8. Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com'

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account inexplicably changed to '.com.com': Hi community, I've had quite the stressful day of trying to login to my Windows 10 Laptop. The Microsoft account inexplicably changed the TLD to '.com.com' from '.com' and it locked my access out of my PC. I tried using chntpw on Ubuntu to reset the password, tried...
  9. [SOLVED]Inexplicable Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    [SOLVED]Inexplicable Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices?: I've got a gigabit Ethernet switch with a few different gigabit-capable devices attached, one of which is a 64-bit Win 10 Pro (1511) and the other that matters is an Amazon Fire TV 2. Running a couple of different internet speed tests on the Fire TV consistently shows about...
  10. Inexplicable windows 10 installation error

in Windows 10 Support
    Inexplicable windows 10 installation error: I ran the troubleshooter for windows 10 upgrade, as it's not happening. I qualify in all aspects, except it says KB3035583 not installed. but when I open my windows update history, it says this morning that was installed, and when I try to re-install it, as shown, it says...