Windows 10: Inexplicable Storage usage

Discus and support Inexplicable Storage usage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I noticed that my 1TB HDD was becoming alarmingly filled up. A short time ago, it was down to 80Gb free so I started uninstalling all games I wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IanS769, May 23, 2020.

1. IanS769 Win User

Inexplicable Storage usage

I noticed that my 1TB HDD was becoming alarmingly filled up. A short time ago, it was down to 80Gb free so I started uninstalling all games I wasn't playing. I even went through and uninstalled old programs I never use anymore in the Apps and Features. This brought my drive down to 208GB free. Which made me wonder where all that other space was being used up.

I went into the "Storage" menu and in the readout, my Apps and Features showed 629GB of space used. Which seemed wrong. So I clicked on the folder and sorted by size. I added up everything until I stopped when in the low 100MB, which added up to around 187GB. So there is ~440GB of storage unaccounted for within Apps and Features.

I can't figure out what's going on.

I have no partitions, just the one C: drive, no external drives. Windows 10

Any suggestions?

:)

IanS769, May 23, 2020
  2. Terrypin Win User

Inexplicable restarts

Thanks for your patient help and analysis, zbook. I'll step through some of your suggestions over the next few days - there's a lot to do and some look a bit hairy! That is, for a PC that is working sweetly right now...

Meanwhile, as requested in the BSOD thread (sorry, I misunderstood and posted there by mistake), I've attached both ZIP files.
    --------------------
    One step I did try right away was to answer your question about whether my BIOS is up-to-date. I had no success at the AMI site but did get some info from this commercial site:

Inexplicable Storage usage [​IMG]

It was one of the '9' (I counted 10) listed here:

Inexplicable Storage usage [​IMG]

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, May 23, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - settings - storage usage - other?

Hi Steve,

It's possible that some folders are not showing under the Storage usage >
    Others since they are hidden. Though they are hidden, the space that they are taking will still be counted under
    Storage usage > Others. You'll have to identify what files and folder are hidden with the steps below:

• Type hidden in Cortana, the Windows search bar or your task bar.
    • Select Show hidden files and folders from the result.
    • Go to View tab.
    • Enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    • Hit Apply, then click OK.

Once you're done with these steps, try checking the Storage usage again and see if it will match.

Let us know if it addressed your concern.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, May 23, 2020
  4. Inexplicable Storage usage

Storage Problem

Hi,

It's possible that the 346GB of space that you're seeing under the Apps & games window refers to the available space of the selected drive and not the actual usage. To confirm this information, we suggest that you check the total
    usage through the Storage usage screen instead. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Start menu or Windows icon.
    • Select the gear icon or Settings.
    • Select System > Storage.
    • Under Choose a drive to see what's taking up space, select
      This PC (Drive letter)
    • Under Apps & games, check if the space usage exceeds the estimate 140GB of space.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Inexplicable Storage usage

1. Inexplicable Storage usage - Similar Threads - Inexplicable Storage usage

2. random inexplicable behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    random inexplicable behaviour: recently about a week or so ago an update was forced on me now I am experienceing multiple random inexplicable behaviour i.e I cannot discern any firm pattern except to suspect the gesktop feature which it seems you are forced or is automatically used. The first inkling was...
  3. random inexplicable behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    random inexplicable behaviour: recently about a week or so ago an update was forced on me now I am experienceing multiple random inexplicable behaviour i.e I cannot discern any firm pattern except to suspect the gesktop feature which it seems you are forced or is automatically used. The first inkling was...
  4. Misleading Storage Usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Misleading Storage Usage: There seems to be an issue with how Windows is calculating storage usage. Only the total storage amount 856 GB is true. Rest all of them are false. Don' know why but this happens also for valorant which I installed on my SSD which in Control Panel displayed 1 TBconsidering my...
  5. Inexplicable bluescreens.

Inexplicable bluescreens.: Hello, recently I have been getting Blue Screens of Death a little while after I installed the Ducky keyboard software from their website here https://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/support. After that I started randomly getting blue screens that said either "Memory_Managment and...
  6. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  7. Storage usage problem

Storage usage problem: Hello, I don't know that where is the problem. Actually after update to windows 10 version 2004 to 20H2. Actually HDD using too much everyday, and also i can hear a little voice of spining disk in HDD. But always when i check HDD usage on task manager it shows that HDD is not...
  8. Inexplicable BSoD

Inexplicable BSoD: Dear Community! I have a gaming laptop (ASUS ROG Strix GL503VS-EI005T) and recently (about maybe from january...) I'm experiencing a lots of BSoDs. The weird thing is: they happen only when I don't use my computer... When I'm using it, (playing, working, anything) it looks...
  9. storage usage

storage usage: reserved storage usage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-usage/c344f71c-b28a-4e6a-a287-5dede390fe4c"
  10. Inexplicable restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Inexplicable restarts: I'd be very grateful for some expert help on the following please. I run my PC 24/7. For the last two nights and again today it has restarted inexplicably. I'm trying to discover what caused it. Studying Event logs quickly leaves me wondering how my PC can be working at...