Windows 10: Inherit permissions when moving files

Discus and support Inherit permissions when moving files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can anyone please tell me how I can set Windows 10 up, so moved files will inherit the permissions from the destination folder? I enabled the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Imbizile, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Imbizile Win User

Inherit permissions when moving files

Can anyone please tell me how I can set Windows 10 up, so moved files will inherit the permissions from the destination folder?

I enabled the inheritance option on the parent folder and that works when copying files, but not when moving files.

In previous versions of Windows I could resolve this issue, by adding MoveSecurityAttributes in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer (as described in the article below), but this does not seem to have any effect in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310316

Any help really appreciated and thanks in advance *Smile

/

:)

Imbizile, Dec 11, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

lost file properties

You neglected to mention what 'properties' you're talking about.

With respect to access permissions: Folders and files inherit their access permissions from their parent folder, including the root folder of a drive. You can break the inheritance if you wish and determine your own access permissions if you feel confident
    in your knowledge. However, as soon as you move a folder or file to a new parent folder, the parent folder's access permissions once again take over.

This is how the Windows operating system has always worked and it's how organizations are able to assign access permissions across a network in a consistent and predictable manner.

Therefore, the first thing to do before moving folders and files to a new partition - like when I moved all my user data (documents, pictures, email, etc.) to a new partition - is to setup the permissions as you wish on the root of the new partition. Then
    move your folders and files.

In general, it's best to adhere to Microsoft's default access permissions for files of the same type you want to move, as I did. Access permissions are complex and have far-reaching ramifications. Microsoft has had many years to carefully think this through
    and configure appropriate permissions.

BulldogXX, Dec 11, 2015
  3. why since switched to windows 10 got extra user

Well it certainly seems like some "interesting" things are going on, and my best guess as to why would be something happened during the upgrade. One of the many reasons I like to do clean installs.

Anyways first off the default location for the pictures is on the C drive, in:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Pictures

But it can be moved.

If you right click on Pictures -> Location, it will show where it is. If it is not on the above path that could certainly be the cause of permission problems. For instance my Pictures are stored on a server and as such the server has a lot to do with what
    permissions might be there. But if it was just say on D drive, I wouldn't really expect all this strangeness.

The "inherited from" does mean that the folder listed is controlling the permissions.

That was in fact what we were trying to do with the "Replace all child permissions..." setting, for the folders below.

For each of the permissions listed on a file/folder it possible that the permission is "local" or inherited from the folder above it. This inheritance can go all the way up to the top of the drive, adding different permissions.

Basically you mostly want permissions to be inherited. For instance when you created the test folder under Pictures, what should its permissions be? It should get the inheritable permissions. That way you don't have to set permissions every time you create
    a folder, they just naturally take on the permissions of the parent. And only when you have a special case do you override these inherited permissions.

On the " I see a new user group (I guess this user is inherited from CInherit permissions when moving files :) with same name as I login to the computer". This isn't a group, this is your user account. And yes by default your account should be on all the files from C:\Users\USERNAME on down.

I'm glad you found a combination works for you, but I also think that maybe you should check who owns the Pictures folder. If you go into the advanced permissions, it will show who owns it. If your Pictures folder is on a local drive it certainly should
    be your username (the one you log in with).

A_User_Here, Dec 11, 2015
  4. 007
    007 Win User

Hi, did you find a solution to this?

5. Imbizile Win User
    Sadly no - im still hoping someone have a solution for this.

Imbizile, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Inherit permissions when moving files - Similar Threads - Inherit permissions moving

2. Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...: Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019 Standard ServerWhile copying file from 1 folder to another folder permission was not applied as per group policy. Do we have any option for preventive or corrective action.We have tried...
  3. Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...: Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019 Standard ServerWhile copying file from 1 folder to another folder permission was not applied as per group policy. Do we have any option for preventive or corrective action.We have tried...
  4. Permissions to move/delete files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permissions to move/delete files: I am logged in as administrator on my computer, but when I need to move or delete folders/files it says I need administrator permission and does nothing. Also two other messages when I try to do something with a file/folder: 1 the item is no longer located in C: 2 the item is...
  5. Inheriting Permissions when Moving Files

Inheriting Permissions when Moving Files: Hi, we have a fairly complex folder structure within the same volume. Major folders in this structure have specific folder permissions that regulate file access within. One major folder is for developing content many users have write permission, the other one is for...
  6. Files and Folders Permissions Inherited

Files and Folders Permissions Inherited: So with windows 7, if i had an external drive D:\ with read and execute only permissions for user X, and these permission were inherited from the drive D:\ if user X opened the drive, selected a folder on the drive and right clicked, there would be a UAC symbol by DELETE,...
  7. Move a file into a folder with a non-inherited ACL rule, the file will not inherit ACL from...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Move a file into a folder with a non-inherited ACL rule, the file will not inherit ACL from...: Hi, I have an issue to setup ACL rule correctly when I move files around folders, and it seems a Windows bug... When I move a file into a folder with a non-inherited ACL rule, the file will not inherit ACL from its parent. For example, D:\Folder has an explicit rule...
  8. Inheriting permissions setting

Inheriting permissions setting: Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator setting until I turn off the inheriting permissions setting. How do I find and turn off the inherited permissions setting on...
  9. permissions, inheritances

permissions, inheritances: After transferring all files and programs from my old damaged laptop to my new laptop (both Win 10) I find I cannot access many older files. "You do not have permission". How can I disable all permissions so I can straighten this out?...
  10. Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows How to Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows [img] Information On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny access to the files and...