Windows 10: Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?

Discus and support Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My work desk came with a Windows 10 Pro computer. On startup, it defaults to a specific person who is no longer with the clinic. How do I change that?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DocBob97, May 19, 2022.

1. DocBob97 Win User

Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?

My work desk came with a Windows 10 Pro computer. On startup, it defaults to a specific person who is no longer with the clinic. How do I change that? I don't want to do a factory reset as I use most of the files and settings. Is there a way to just create my own login and have it default to that? Or I'd be okay just changing the displa name & password of the current login, if that would work... I do have the current password.Thanks

:)

DocBob97, May 19, 2022
  2. Ender Win User

Setting the default input method for the Windows 10 login screen

I had the same question but with French being the default on Windows 10 rather than the one I wanted so I ended up here.

HoD is very close. I was able to use his suggestion to find the solution for me. This solution uses your current display and input language to change the Welcome screen and possible for new user accounts if you want. So make sure you have the display and input settings while logged in that you want to apply to the login screen before doing the steps:

1. Click the language on the Taskbar.
    2. Then click Language preferences.
    3. At the bottom under "Related settings," click "additional date, time, & regional settings" which opens the control panel
    4. Click the "Region" option
    5. Then go to the far right tab "Administrative". (HoD's step 2)
    6. In the "Welcome screen and new user accounts" click copy settings. (HoD's step 3)
    7. Tick "Welcome screen and system accounts" (and "new user accounts" if you want it to be applied to those as well). (HoD's step 4)
    8. Click Ok. (HoD's step 5)

I was able to use HoD's suggestion to find the solution here. It's for Windows 8.1, but works on 10 so far.

Hope it will help you, too!

Ender, May 19, 2022
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 19, 2022
  4. Arun B J Win User

Can't login to new computer w/Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Are you able to login to Microsoft Account on Web?

• Have you installed any language pack?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to select the appropriate language in login screen at the bottom right corner and check if it helps.

Steps 2: Use On-screen keyboard in the login screen to login and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, May 19, 2022
Thema:

1. Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login? - Similar Threads - Inherited Pro computer

2. Set default login account in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set default login account in windows 10: Hi,We have a meeting room PC with windows 10 OS joined to domain and we disabled last login history from the system.Users are login to this system by using their account or meeting room public account.Sometimes after the meeting users are logging out their account and it's...
  3. Set default login account in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set default login account in windows 10: Hi,We have a meeting room PC with windows 10 OS joined to domain and we disabled last login history from the system.Users are login to this system by using their account or meeting room public account.Sometimes after the meeting users are logging out their account and it's...
  4. Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?: My work desk came with a Windows 10 Pro computer. On startup, it defaults to a specific person who is no longer with the clinic. How do I change that? I don't want to do a factory reset as I use most of the files and settings. Is there a way to just create my own login and...
  5. Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?: My work desk came with a Windows 10 Pro computer. On startup, it defaults to a specific person who is no longer with the clinic. How do I change that? I don't want to do a factory reset as I use most of the files and settings. Is there a way to just create my own login and...
  6. Inherited a Windows 10 Pro computer... How to set a new default login?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Inherited computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Inherited computer: my brother’s old computer is plugged in and aparantly working. It lists his name as owner and asks for a password. I have used this computer before at his house and the password was “shooter” but now that does not work. Any suggestions on how to make this computer my own?...
  8. Inheriting permissions setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Inheriting permissions setting: Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator setting until I turn off the inheriting permissions setting. How do I find and turn off the inherited permissions setting on...
  9. Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10): I wish to make a new local account so that it can inherit settings(all settings including desktop background, start-menu pinned items, folder options etc) of another existing account. Is it possible to do in windows 10? If so, please detail the steps. Microsoft's 'User...
  10. Setting default login account...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Setting default login account...: Forgive all the 'newbie' questions. Is there a way to set a certain account to be the default account when booting up? I'd like MY account to be the one that is waiting to be logged in when the system starts. Is this possible? If so, How? 52891