Windows 10: Inheriting permissions setting

Discus and support Inheriting permissions setting in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DiMi3940, Sep 19, 2018.

1. DiMi3940 Win User

Inheriting permissions setting

Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator setting until I turn off the inheriting permissions setting. How do I find and turn off the inherited permissions setting on Windows 10? Thanks.

:)

DiMi3940, Sep 19, 2018

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Sep 19, 2018
  3. homer_3 Win User
    How to disable inherited permissions on a folder by default?

When I create a folder "foo" under the C: drive, I then run

icacls "C:\foo" /inheritance:d

to remove permission inheritance on it. But if I create a folder under foo like C:\foo\bar, bar still gets the inherited permissions Users added to it and it can't be removed without 1st running icacls /inheritance:d on it as well. Is there some way to disable
    the inherited permissions by default instead of having to run this command all the time?

homer_3, Sep 19, 2018
  4. homer_3 Win User

How to disable inherited permissions on a folder by default?

If all it did was copy the same permissions, that'd be fine. But it is also marking those permissions as inherited, which prevents me from editing them until I've unmarked it as inherited.

I ran into this issue after switching to a newer build of W10, so I thought there might be some setting somewhere that turned this feature on between builds that I could turn back off.

homer_3, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Inheriting permissions setting - Similar Threads - Inheriting permissions setting

2. Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”: Hi all,I am trying to follow this advice:Incase of any issues with file or folder permission then, you can fix this using these steps:Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located such as Documents, Pictures, etc..Go to the Security tab and...
  3. Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”: Hi all,I am trying to follow this advice:Incase of any issues with file or folder permission then, you can fix this using these steps:Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located such as Documents, Pictures, etc..Go to the Security tab and...
  4. Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Inheriting Permissions when Moving Files

Inheriting Permissions when Moving Files: Hi, we have a fairly complex folder structure within the same volume. Major folders in this structure have specific folder permissions that regulate file access within. One major folder is for developing content many users have write permission, the other one is for...
  6. Files and Folders Permissions Inherited

Files and Folders Permissions Inherited: So with windows 7, if i had an external drive D:\ with read and execute only permissions for user X, and these permission were inherited from the drive D:\ if user X opened the drive, selected a folder on the drive and right clicked, there would be a UAC symbol by DELETE,...
  7. permissions, inheritances

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    permissions, inheritances: After transferring all files and programs from my old damaged laptop to my new laptop (both Win 10) I find I cannot access many older files. "You do not have permission". How can I disable all permissions so I can straighten this out?...
  8. Inherit permissions when moving files

Inherit permissions when moving files: Can anyone please tell me how I can set Windows 10 up, so moved files will inherit the permissions from the destination folder? I enabled the inheritance option on the parent folder and that works when copying files, but not when moving files. In previous versions of...
  9. Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows How to Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows [img] Information On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny access to the files and...
  10. Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Objects in Windows Enable or Disable Inherited Permissions for Files and Folders in Windows [img] Information On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny...