Windows 10: Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10)

Discus and support Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I wish to make a new local account so that it can inherit settings(all settings including desktop background, start-menu pinned items, folder options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KaiPai, Aug 27, 2018.

1. KaiPai Win User

Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10)

I wish to make a new local account so that it can inherit settings(all settings including desktop background, start-menu pinned items, folder options etc) of another existing account. Is it possible to do in windows 10? If so, please detail the steps.

Microsoft's 'User Profiles' doesn't allow me to change the 'default profile' or copy a new one to another. The "copy to" button is disabled.

Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10) 5531bbe0-e231-43f4-a4d5-d63ed5e21475?upload=true.png

:)

KaiPai, Aug 27, 2018
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10) :(

Zakin, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Darshan J Win User

Windows 10 - Trying to convert local to Microsoft account - getting "account already exists" error

Hello James,

To convert local account to Microsoft account follow the steps below.

• Logout from your existing Microsoft account, login using local account.
    • Make sure your connected to internet.
    • click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.
    [*]This will help you to convert local account to Microsoft account.
    [*]Get back to us if you are still unable to convert the account so we can further troubleshoot the issue.
    [*]

Darshan J, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Inheriting settings of an existing local account (windows 10) - Similar Threads - Inheriting settings existing

2. unable to set a local user account windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to set a local user account windows 10: Hi to All,Just new to the forum, I have a question about windows 10 pro.Looks like this laptop was reset but I think this laptop was set-up for an school board.After reset on the step to se-up a user my only option is enter an email address for an specific school board., I am...
  3. unable to set a local user account windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to set a local user account windows 10: Hi to All,Just new to the forum, I have a question about windows 10 pro.Looks like this laptop was reset but I think this laptop was set-up for an school board.After reset on the step to se-up a user my only option is enter an email address for an specific school board., I am...
  4. Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Link a local account on a new PC to an an existing Microsoft account: Hi,On my current/old Win 10 PC I use a Microsoft account with a user ID that has more than five characters.I now have a new PC and want to add my existing MS account into this PC.On my new PC, when I created the same user ID of more than five characters, it truncated it to...
  5. DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled: Greeting! I turn to the community because my IT department cannot find any solution and their only proposal is re-imaging my laptop. Which is frustrating on several levels. This might be a good challenge for the community, I have combed the internet and I cannot find any...
  6. DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled: Greeting! I turn to the community because my IT department cannot find any solution and their only proposal is re-imaging my laptop. Which is frustrating on several levels. This might be a good challenge for the community, I have combed the internet and I cannot find any...
  7. DisableStoreApps Enabled is inherited from Local Policy when it is explicitly set to Disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Log back into an existing Local Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Log back into an existing Local Account: Hi during a support call we accidentally created a new profile on a users windows laptop. I can see the old accounts contents in the C drive > users How do I log back into this local account when it doesn't appear as an account any where else? Thanks...
  9. Combining a local windows 10 account to a Microsoft account that already exist on windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Combining a local windows 10 account to a Microsoft account that already exist on windows 10: I have two accounts on my computer that I want to merge. One is a local account that I want to merge with my Microsoft account so I can sync everything and have all my files and desktop settings. But I don't see any way of doing that? Please help....
  10. Inheriting permissions setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Inheriting permissions setting: Someone from another computer added themselves as administrator to my computer and is causing problems. I cannot delete them from that administrator setting until I turn off the inheriting permissions setting. How do I find and turn off the inherited permissions setting on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chage users roaming profile to local w10