Windows 10: Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat?

Discus and support Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've just clean installed the first computer on our little office network to Windows 10 and I'm seeing some strange and unreliable behaviour for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spacedog, Aug 11, 2015.

1. spacedog Win User

Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat?

I've just clean installed the first computer on our little office network to Windows 10 and I'm seeing some strange and unreliable behaviour for connecting to workgroup shares. We are not using domains or Microsoft accounts. The Windows 10 computer is just using a local account. I have given it the same username and password as it had before and it is part of the same workgroup.

Here's where it gets buggy and unreliable. When I go to the Network I can see the other Win7 computers that have files and folders shared. When I double-click on the computer it hangs and then reports that it could not connect and offers to Diagnose the problem. If I cancel Diagnose and try again it might, or might not, fail. However, after the 2nd or 3rd attempt, it comes up and I can see all the correct shared folders. It never asks for credentials as it seems to be pulling the local account details like it did before in Win7. When I try to connect to a shared folder it sometimes fails as well, but after repeating the attempt it then succeeds and everything is fine.

So the issue can be resolved by making repeated connection attempts to workgroup computers, but it often fails before resolving itself? It is slow and frustrating though.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions on how to improve the reliability and performance of Win10 connecting to Win7 workgroup shares?

I wonder if this has something to do with the changes they made to SMB in Win10?

:)

spacedog, Aug 11, 2015

2. Error 0x000003e3 when trying to install a shared printer (Server 2012 R2) from a Windows 10 (winver 1703) computer

Open a shared printer prompts for Install Driver, then failed with error message:

• Cannot connect to printer
    • The operation failed
    • Error message 0x000003e3

This issue seems to only occur on some of the Windows 10 hosts after recent Windows update. Other hosts succeed in same action. The host experiencing this issue seems to have difficulties connecting to all shared printers even from different Windows Servers
    (2012, 2012R2, 2016).

Removing entries under HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Drivers/Version 3 does not resolve this issue.

However, adding same network printer using TCP/IP connection directly was successful.

WANG Kaiqi, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Ugo Lopez Win User
    restart/updates

Ciao, there are some precedences among updates, so this means that if you update altogether, the newest will fail until the oldest succeeds. Can you please try again and check if, after each restart, some more new updates succeded? Please share the outcome.
    Ciao and thanks Ugo

Ugo Lopez, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat?

1. Initial connection to workroup share fails, but succeeds after repeat? - Similar Threads - Initial connection workroup

2. process1 initialization failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    process1 initialization failed: I am not kidding. I have been spending hours, hours, and days trying to get Windows 10 to start. I cannot get to the Desktop or to a Command Prompt. Usually, I am able to fix just about anything. This one has me stumbled. I refuse to give up. The information on the laptop is...
  3. process1 initialization failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    process1 initialization failed: I am not kidding. I have been spending hours, hours, and days trying to get Windows 10 to start. I cannot get to the Desktop or to a Command Prompt. Usually, I am able to fix just about anything. This one has me stumbled. I refuse to give up. The information on the laptop is...
  4. process1 initialization failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Failed to initialize

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failed to initialize: I downloaded a program - Twinity - and thought all was fine until I tried to log in and got the failed to intialize message. Can I get round this? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-initialize/cb4619db-8347-4ced-85da-896f0692a1cb
  6. initialization failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    initialization failed: hello everyone so when i started my PC he showed me this screen[IMG] then restarted and did that in a loop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/initialization-failed/10e740ab-553d-4214-a0a4-4c49d49ebfac
  7. Failed to initialize shared canvas

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Failed to initialize shared canvas: I realise that this is a very old issue (and that WLM is technically retired) but I have a new W10 laptop and I get the message 'Failed to initialize shared canvas' when I open WLM. As my other W10 laptops continue to work with WLM I would like to keep WLM as my main email...
  8. repeat fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    repeat fail: 0x800703e3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repeat-fail/2a3a55bd-2b52-4c84-a95b-14d60522eb75
  9. After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds: I recently purchased a Dell Latitude E6430, which is exhibiting a rather odd problem. I removed the included 5400RPM 500GB hard drive and replaced it with an SSD. The first Windows 10 installation attempt failed with a message to the effect that there were no bootable...
  10. Failed to Initialize OpenCL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed to Initialize OpenCL: First error in a program after the Windows 10 Fall Upgrade... I'm using Adobe After Effects CC 2015. [img] Any ideas? 29754