Windows 10: Initialising a disk

Discus and support Initialising a disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently added an SSD drive on my laptop. It's working fine. All my files are stored there. But only one disk is visible on my computer and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ShreyaGoyal, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Initialising a disk

Hi,

I recently added an SSD drive on my laptop. It's working fine. All my files are stored there. But only one disk is visible on my computer and that's the SSD. I can't locate the second disk. I went to Disk management and Disk 2 , i.e, my system's internal storage is termed as Unlocated. How do I initialise it and if I do, will the data in my SSD drive, i.e. Disk 1 get affected?

Please Help.

:)

ShreyaGoyal, Jul 11, 2020

2. Disk Initialisation

I was advised to go to TechNet, but its solution did not work. Although the drive in question does not exist, I initialised it (GPT selected) as given in the solution and a panel said "The specified disk is not convertable because the size is less than
    the minimum size required for GPT disks". I have added 'DiskPart' below. I am reluctant to initialise using MBR.

I feel I am still at 'square one'

Regards

Julian

Initialising a disk db143e56-44c3-4d31-8301-8e7f0aafb0d5.jpg

Julian Grenfell, Jul 11, 2020
  3. WiggyXL Win User
    Initialise existing disk

One of the hard drives in my PC has stopped showing in windows explorer and in disk management it says "you must initialise a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it."

The disk is 3TB but when I choose GPT, I get the following error "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks".

If I choose MBR i get the error "The system cannot find the file specified".

I've installed MiniTool Partition Wizard and EaseUS Partition Master 12.8 but neither recognise the disk at all

WiggyXL, Jul 11, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Initialising a disk

Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised

Initialising a disk [​IMG]

cereberus, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Initialising a disk

1. Initialising a disk - Similar Threads - Initialising disk

2. Cannot initialise new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot initialise new SSD.: Hello,I have purchased a new SSD and an enclosure so as I can upgrade the SSD C drive in my laptop. When attempting to initialise the disk, I have no option listed in Disk Management:Disk 2 is the enclosure with the new SSD in it. Following other guides on the internet, I...
  3. Cannot initialise new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot initialise new SSD.: Hello,I have purchased a new SSD and an enclosure so as I can upgrade the SSD C drive in my laptop. When attempting to initialise the disk, I have no option listed in Disk Management:Disk 2 is the enclosure with the new SSD in it. Following other guides on the internet, I...
  4. Cannot initialise new SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready: Hi, I am trying to format a 4TB WD MyPassport on Win11. The drive doesn't appear in This PC, but does appear in the Control Panel's Devices and Printers and in Disk Management. Upon trying to initialise the hard drive, I am shown the message "The device is not ready".I can't...
  6. External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Won't Initialise: The Device Is Not Ready: Hi, I am trying to format a 4TB WD MyPassport on Win11. The drive doesn't appear in This PC, but does appear in the Control Panel's Devices and Printers and in Disk Management. Upon trying to initialise the hard drive, I am shown the message "The device is not ready".I can't...
  7. Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install

Windows keeps wanting to initialise some disks since GPU install: I built a new PC some months back with mostly new components but with a few HDDs and SSDs from my older build (though some HDDs were quite new anyway) and had no bother with them. Finally managed to get a new Nvidia 3080 GPU but after installation I noticed some drives were...
  8. Disk Cannot Be Initialised - Device Isn't Ready

Disk Cannot Be Initialised - Device Isn't Ready: Hi there, I've tried everything under the sun to get this to work but so far nothing has. I have a WD Passport not ssd that is unable to be initialised by every third party software, disk management windows and CMD/powershell. It is listed on disk management but not in...
  9. Tried everything! Cant add a driver letter/initialise disk for Seagate Backup Plus

Tried everything! Cant add a driver letter/initialise disk for Seagate Backup Plus: Hi, I've tried all the troubleshooting disk management ideas; the Seagate Backup Plus lights up but doesn't show up on windows. So in Disk Management everything is fine for windows 10 {I'm using an Asus x555} but the Seagate doesn't have a name and I can't put one in....
  10. Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised

Disk 1 Unknown Not initialised: Hi, I have made a stupid mistake by resetting my windows 10 using the advanced start-up option without any device or disc( just my laptop). Later, I have found that the computer can only recognise my C drive, and when I go to my disk manager, it shows my other drive to be...