Windows 10: Initiated backup, Windows crashed, drives now corrupted

Discus and support Initiated backup, Windows crashed, drives now corrupted in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was trying to use the backup tool in Windows 10 to backup my RAID 0 array to a separate, single backup drive. All my drivers are up to date (though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JakeN3, Oct 31, 2018.

1. JakeN3 Win User

Initiated backup, Windows crashed, drives now corrupted

I was trying to use the backup tool in Windows 10 to backup my RAID 0 array to a separate, single backup drive. All my drivers are up to date (though Windows tells me I don't need any for my hard drive dock), nothing else was running on the computer, and there were no power interruptions. It looked like it was working and I left it for a few hours. When I came back, my computer was off.

After this, I am now no longer able to access my RAID. Windows sees the two disks in Disk Management, but the RAID drive will not show up in explorer. I have it backed up with an online backup service, but I don't want to spend weeks downloading, or have to pay for them to mail me my data on a drive. I don't think Windows should be so fragile as to corrupt disks if it crashes during its own built-in backup program.

Is there any way to get my data back without reformatting and recovering from online? Do I have any recourse to take against Microsoft (pay for backup drives to be mailed to me)? I just converted from Mac and I'm trying to get everything moved over and backed up and this happens, not really worth saving the money on hardware at this point.

:)

JakeN3, Oct 31, 2018
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Initiated backup, Windows crashed, drives now corrupted [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Oct 31, 2018
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 31, 2018
  4. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Initiated backup, Windows crashed, drives now corrupted - Similar Threads - Initiated backup crashed

2. Backup application from corrupted windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup application from corrupted windows: Sir, my windows 10 is corrupted and I was unable to start window including safe mode can I create a backup of installed app or application on my computer....
  3. HDD drives not initializing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD drives not initializing: Close to a month ago I logged onto my computer (win10 pro) and found that 2 of my HDD drives had vanished from file explorer. Of course I panic, open up disk management and they are both not initialized. I spent about a week recovering 4tb of lost data. Initialized the disk...
  4. ROBLOX Crashes on initialization.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    ROBLOX Crashes on initialization.: Roblox was installed on this newly purchased 9th Gen Core i7 gamer PC, and Minecraft and Fortnite load fine but not Roblox. Intermittently I can start my PC and Roblox will work. Most of the time it crashes after a few seconds of the load screen. I have tried everything...
  5. Initialize Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Initialize Hard drive: Hi all, A friend of mine asked me if I can help him get his laptop back into working order. It is a Samsung model NP740U3L When I turn it on, after about a minute, it tells me: All boot option tried Press F4 for repair After pressing F4 it comes back to the same screen as...
  6. OS drive crashed without a backup/boot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OS drive crashed without a backup/boot: Hi, my Wife's OS SSD drive crashed and appears to be dead. I've put it in a different computer without any success. She can't find or didn't have a recovery drive and we don't know where the Win10 install USB drive is for her computer. I have one for mine but the product...
  7. Hard drive crash with no backup

Hard drive crash with no backup: Hard drive crash on PC with no backup. Do I need to buy a new license key for Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-crash-with-no-backup/a8309843-ad58-4a8a-8580-9641a8fe07fa
  8. Backup now

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup now: How to pin on taskbar "Backup now" of backup options? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-now/24928be7-fc6b-4027-b3b0-a3aadc77dc07"
  9. Settings Crash + Hard Drive Corruption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings Crash + Hard Drive Corruption: About a week ago, my power went out twice. Since then, I have been experiencing freezes and crashes. The settings app will crash every time I go from the screen after I open it directly. Games also have frame drops and apps are running insanely slow. Is there any way for me...
  10. Windows not booting after failed update (initial message was bootres.dll corrupted, now...

Windows not booting after failed update (initial message was bootres.dll corrupted, now...: Good evening. I'm a bit desperate, as all my life work is on this machine (desktop). Last night Vrigin was down, as they always are when least expected. Before going to sleep I pressed update and shutdown. When I wake up in the morning, computer would not start. Used the...