Windows 10: Input Freezes (Mouse / KB) but system does not lock up

Discus and support Input Freezes (Mouse / KB) but system does not lock up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings Win 10 Experts, I've been building PCs for years, I'm confident in my ability to use, diagnose and resolve every major PC issue I've come... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GSmith84, Jul 11, 2017.

1. GSmith84 Win User

Input Freezes (Mouse / KB) but system does not lock up

Greetings Win 10 Experts,

I've been building PCs for years, I'm confident in my ability to use, diagnose and resolve every major PC issue I've come across, but this situation is so unique and I can't find any similar issue in search to solve.

---

I built 2 pcs for my children, identical. Started with an inexpensive Dell Desktop and added ram, sshd, graphics and cooling so they would be starter-gaming devices.

One of the PCs recently has started to freeze input. Keyboard doesn't take any input, doesn't return PC Speaker beeps from trying over and over, mouse does not move at all but the system is still running. If you're in a game, all audio and video continues without stuttering. Pressing the power button on the tower initiates shutdown, it does not require a hard reset.

---

Its running Windows 10 64 Bit Pro. I have Group Policy setup to not automatically download Windows updates, I handle them manually myself. Since the computers are for my young children I've got them fairly restricted in terms of outgoing / incoming access (Netlimiter). I have updated all the drivers, I have run mdsched.exe, sfc /scannow, disk cleanup, I checked for high temps under load. I've done everything I can think of and yet at random the pc will do this soft freeze and require a reset.

Both computers have been running for about 4 months with this issue only cropping up in the past few weeks on this 1 PC. I've also changed out the Mouse and Keyboard in case there was maybe some errant keyboard inputs that wound up creating severe input lag but just grasping at straws.

Here is a snapshot of the hardware specs. Any ideas / help would be great because I'm out of ideas.

Input Freezes (Mouse / KB) but system does not lock up [​IMG]

:)

GSmith84, Jul 11, 2017
  2. CDRW65 Win User

Windows ten lock up and freezing

Hi

Thanks for your reply but when the computer freezes it is totally locked up and can only be recovered by pressing reset. So if I cannot access the keyboard, mouse etc. then I cannot obtain any logs either. The lock up/freezing happened randomly and on
    a couple of occasions even at the password input screens.

The computer had just become unusable so I decided yesterday to revert to Windows 8.1 which was always stable and still is.

I may try Windows 10 at some later stage but for now I will stick with Windows 8.1

Thanks anyway.

Dennis

CDRW65, Jul 11, 2017
  3. PFlorian Win User
    Windows 10 keeps freezing

I am having the same problem. My system may work with out problem for 5 minutes and then just lock-up!

This is on my laptop so my touchpad does not respond. I have tried using an external mouse and disabling the touchpad but with no results. I have started using ctrl-alt-del when it freezes to try to start task manager. It does not start but when the blue
    screen shows up you can cancel and proceed until the next freeze.

Just a workaround until somebody finds the solution !!

PFlorian, Jul 11, 2017
Thema:

Input Freezes (Mouse / KB) but system does not lock up

1. Input Freezes (Mouse / KB) but system does not lock up - Similar Threads - Input Freezes Mouse

2. Mouse Pointer and KB frequently freeze on remote machine 2.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Pointer and KB frequently freeze on remote machine 2.: I'm running Windows 11 Windows Insider Program and MwB version 2.1.8.0105. I'm using 2 machines. My mouse pointer and KB frequently freeze when working on remote machine 2. I must then move my mouse pointer to machne1. I observe the connection with machine 2 has been dropped....
  3. Mouse Pointer and KB frequently freeze on remote machine 2.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse Pointer and KB frequently freeze on remote machine 2.: I'm running Windows 11 Windows Insider Program and MwB version 2.1.8.0105. I'm using 2 machines. My mouse pointer and KB frequently freeze when working on remote machine 2. I must then move my mouse pointer to machne1. I observe the connection with machine 2 has been dropped....
  4. Audio input is picking up all system inputs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio input is picking up all system inputs: My audio jack seems to be picking up every input and sound from my system games, music, videos etc all the time. Even when my mic is muted and my voice isnt picked up the other inputs still are. I have troubleshot for hours going over every other answer microsoft has provided...
  5. Lock screen no longer responsive to mouse input

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen no longer responsive to mouse input: About 3 weeks ago, all of the sudden on my domain, and all the machines within it, which are Windows 10 Professional have stopped being able to get to the login prompt by clicking on the screen. Previously, we could click anywhere on the locked screen, be able to see where...
  6. Designer Bluetooth mouse and KB freezes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Designer Bluetooth mouse and KB freezes: Good day, model 7N9-00018 KB and mouse was purchased 16 feb 2020, and hurt me with freezing keys and delays. I do a lot run diagnostics like "sfc /scannow", reinstall driver, battery, windows update and a lot other things. Some works for some time like 1 to 5 days, but in...
  7. System freezes except mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System freezes except mouse: Got a new PC recently. I'm having a problem where it frequently freezes up, but i can still move my cursor around. I usually use the restart button on the front of my case because I can't open up the start menu. The most recent instant of this happening however, every time I...
  8. mouse freezing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mouse freezing up: Having a problem with my mouse cursor freezing. It occurs often but only lasts for a short time (5 seconds or so). I put new batteries in the mouse but that didn't help. I even bought a new mouse. No help. Tried putting the mouse dongle in different USB ports but again,...
  9. System Lock Ups

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Lock Ups: Been trying to troubleshoot this for a while now. Occasional system lock ups, happens mostly when gaming, but has also happened while web browsing. Complete freeze, have to hard reset (no alt-f4, no task manager,etc). Things I have tried: Have run multiple memtest86+...
  10. Boot Lock Screen mouse cursor/kb delay

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Lock Screen mouse cursor/kb delay: Recently, i've noticed that everytime windows 10 (x64 pro) starts and gets to the initial lock screen, it takes up to 6 seconds to show the mouse cursor and register keyboard events in order to let me log in. It used to be instantaneous. Is this related to Build 1511...