Windows 10: Inquiring about OneDrive and malware

Discus and support Inquiring about OneDrive and malware in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Last week, I felt heroic (stupid) and dedicated a couple days to “fixing” a friend’s computer, which had been running at a crawl and using a ton of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MyAimIsTrue77, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Inquiring about OneDrive and malware

Last week, I felt heroic (stupid) and dedicated a couple days to “fixing” a friend’s computer, which had been running at a crawl and using a ton of disk space. I discovered a number of malicious files, both on her system and her browser, which I removed.

Then, I realized I made a huge mistake: beforehand, I backed up her files by transferring them to a thumb drive, then locally to my own desktop for extra measure. I realized, too late, that transferring files from an infected PC was a really bad idea.
    A few days later, I began to encounter the same issues my friend faced with her computer. After extensive troubleshooting failed, I gave in and got a replacement computer.
    When I set up my new computer, I logged in using the same Microsoft account I used on my previous one. When I finished setup and reached the desktop, OneDrive launched and began syncing files from my old computer. Worried those files were infected, I paused all the downloads and deleted the files OneDrive already planted right away.

My question is: If those files happened to be infected, could OneDrive have transferred malware from my old PC onto my new one?

Thanks!

:)

MyAimIsTrue77, Jul 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 16, 2019
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Will Malware Sync With OneDrive?

Let's say that the files in my local OneDrive folder become infected by malware. Will the malware spread to OneDrive online? Because of automatic file syncing.

(The OneDrive forum says it's been locked.)

S_and_S, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Le Boule Win User

Inquiring about OneDrive and malware

Le Boule, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

Inquiring about OneDrive and malware

1. Inquiring about OneDrive and malware - Similar Threads - Inquiring OneDrive malware

2. I'd like to inquire about how to change the quarantine policy notification mail.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'd like to inquire about how to change the quarantine policy notification mail.: Hello, I am the manager of Office 365 at the University.https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/quarantine-quarantine-notifications?view=o365-worldwideI would like to change the content of the quarantine policy mail shown in the link...
  3. I'd like to inquire about how to change the quarantine policy notification mail.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'd like to inquire about how to change the quarantine policy notification mail.: Hello, I am the manager of Office 365 at the University.https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/quarantine-quarantine-notifications?view=o365-worldwideI would like to change the content of the quarantine policy mail shown in the link...
  4. How to remove OneDrive malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove OneDrive malware: Hello, I am wondering how to permanently remove the malware known as OneDrive and all traces of it from my machine. Even after unlinking my device, deleting every file associated with the program, and editing registry keys, I still am forced to have OneDrive as a default...
  5. Question about Malware in Quarantine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about Malware in Quarantine: I downloaded malware. It was in quarantine. I clicked removal as I thought it would delete it. What if the malware is now out of quarantine roaming through my computer?[Original Title: Help!]...
  6. Worried about malware infection

Worried about malware infection: Hello!My friend decided to download a mod for GTA V when I was gone and he installed a virus and I've gotten about 50-60 viruses from 1 application.I've already deleted all of them and safely continued. But every single day they multiply and I have to delete them everyday.I...
  7. Questions about Malware/Virus

Questions about Malware/Virus: Hi, Windows defender keeps finding DefenderTamperingRestore and it keeps coming back and i dont know what to do, what other antivirus should i use other than windows defender. And i want some information on segurazo antivirus and how to remove it[Original Title:...
  8. OneDrive malware

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive malware: My android ran out of space a few months ago. I normally fix that by uploading the photos from my android to my two windows 10 laptops and then I delete the photos from my android. When I tried to do that, the photos would not upload. I found that if I selected a handful of...
  9. Inquiring about Tech Defender call

Inquiring about Tech Defender call: I just received a telephone call from a man calling himself "Danny Denzopa" and claiming to be calling on behalf of Microsoft Windows Tech Defender. He said he was calling from Winnipeg, Manitoba, in Canada. He gave his phone number as 1-800=300-0900, ext 9. He said that...
  10. Questions about malware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about malware: I’m building a new pc and I’m not very informed on certain types of viruses are they any that could attach themselves to a GPU’s memory? or anything like that probably a stupid question but like I said I’m not well informed on what they can really do lol. submitted by...