Windows 10: Insanely slow HDD random read/write

Discus and support Insanely slow HDD random read/write in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm playing tech support for a relative, and her (ASUS K53E) laptop SATA HDD has insanely slow random read/write. Sequential r/w is around 74 MB/s,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mc510, Nov 19, 2017.

1. mc510 Win User

Insanely slow HDD random read/write

I'm playing tech support for a relative, and her (ASUS K53E) laptop SATA HDD has insanely slow random read/write. Sequential r/w is around 74 MB/s, which seems fine, but random is around 1 MB/s. Hard disk health is fine according to S.M.A.R.T. Win10 1709 Pro x64. Pentium B960; HM65 Express chipset using the Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver. Windows update doesn't have any driver updates; Intel driver tool returns nothing; Asus website has no Windows 10 drivers. I'm at a loss, any suggestions?

Insanely slow HDD random read/write [​IMG]

:)

mc510, Nov 19, 2017

2. Hard drive slow on windows 10

i have this same problem.

my set up is:

I7 4790k

gtx 1070

sata ssd 120gb

hdd 1tb

i pretty much use the system in the same way as the guy above discribed. my ssd is always fast.

but my HDD is sometimes slow and with slow i mean VERY slow. it wont even reach 1mb read/write.

also the MS response time goes up to about 1000ms wich is insane.

to clarify, it only hapends sometimes. i would say 1 out of 10 boots this happends. after a restard the problem is gone and i see read speeds around the 140MB.

what have i done?

switched the HDD completely: still having the problem.

updated Windows 10.

installed latest drivers (double checked with external programs)

can annyone help me ?

dennis van beelen, Nov 19, 2017
  3. PiVoR Win User
    Storage pools, update pool with RAID10

Storage Spaces also writes some "meta" data to the drives. This meta data is the checksums for the data blocks. It's basically overhead for data protection. Try copying more data to see whether this
    is still the case. I will help you troubleshoot it.

Yea, it uses 1gb per drive for meta data, after that everything goes normally.

And im pretty curious about speeds, this is what i get with hardware raid 10:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 270.186 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 283.350 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 6.603 MB/s [ 1612.1 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3.732 MB/s [ 911.1 IOPS]

Sequential Read (T= 1) : 282.064 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) : 282.045 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 1.600 MB/s [ 390.6 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 3.672 MB/s [ 896.5 IOPS]

This is what i get with 2 level mirror refs storage pool:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 129.761 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 119.085 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2.512 MB/s [ 613.3 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1.238 MB/s [ 302.2 IOPS]

Sequential Read (T= 1) : 132.336 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) : 120.378 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.607 MB/s [ 148.2 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 1.167 MB/s [ 284.9 IOPS]

And this is my current config with cheated RAID10:

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 305.170 MB/s

Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 189.530 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3.434 MB/s [ 838.4 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2.053 MB/s [ 501.2 IOPS]

Sequential Read (T= 1) : 246.429 MB/s

Sequential Write (T= 1) : 192.102 MB/s

Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 0.520 MB/s [ 127.0 IOPS]

Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 1.926 MB/s [ 470.2 IOPS]

The diffrenece in speed with 2level mirror storage pool is pretty insane :/.

PiVoR, Nov 19, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

Looks OK. Don't see any problem.

Helmut, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Geneo Win User
    That is about what you might expect of a 5500 rpm spinning disk drives. The seek time, on the order of 10 ms or more, and hence latency kills rates for random small sized i/o.

Geneo, Nov 19, 2017
  6. mc510 Win User
    Hey, thanks Helmut and Geneo; I guess this just shows how long it has been since I've had a computer with a spinning HDD as its primary drive. How did people ever put up with this? But y'know, even with those random-RW stats looking correct, this laptop seems to be performing very poorly. For example, I took it back to a recent Restore Point, which took 45 minutes to complete. Is that normal?

[EDIT] Okay, Google tells me that it's not unheard of for recovery to a Restore Point to take 45 minutes, so I guess I need to just chill out about this. Or buy my relative an SSD. [/EDIT]

mc510, Nov 19, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    "How did people ever put up with this? "

They don't have to as Windows and Applications use a HDD very differently to a Benchmark test such as that.
    Windows and Applications use techniques like prefetch to load and run applications faster for users.

A benchmark test is designed to seek out very small differences in say a WD drive to a Seagate drive of the same type, a very different objective.
    Almost completely opposing objectives.

Helmut, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Insanely slow HDD random read/write - Similar Threads - Insanely slow HDD

2. External HDD unable to read or write anything on it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD unable to read or write anything on it: I've recently bought a 2TB Toshiba Hard drive and i am unable to use it.Every time i try to save anything to it or open anything on it, my whole PC becomes unresponsive. Even if it is just plugged in it stop me from using programs on my PC until i unplug it again and...
  3. External HDD unable to read or write anything on it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD unable to read or write anything on it: I've recently bought a 2TB Toshiba Hard drive and i am unable to use it.Every time i try to save anything to it or open anything on it, my whole PC becomes unresponsive. Even if it is just plugged in it stop me from using programs on my PC until i unplug it again and...
  4. USB Drive read/write 100%... very slow write

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive read/write 100%... very slow write: I have a 6TB (mains-powered) external Seagate USB3 drive (used only for data backup) which might be failing? Or is there another reason the problem? An identical Seagate drive seems to perform fine (though I haven't done extensive side-by-side testing). When I start copying...
  5. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: Hello to everyone Let me explain the problem as follows: The hdd read and write speeds I plugged into the cnddy slot are very bad, there was no such problem before, then there was such a problem, how can I solve it 178342
  6. RANDOM read and write speeds too low

RANDOM read and write speeds too low: Two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I tested both with drives...
  7. Random 100% HDD read spikes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random 100% HDD read spikes: Hi, I'm experiencing system wide stuttering due to secondary disk usage. My primary disk is SSD. Stuttering completelety freezes PC for 1-3 seconds. I've tried using Process Monitor from Sysinternals but did not found any process writing or reading from HDD during that...
  8. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  9. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...
  10. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...