Windows 10: insert file dialog search bar shrinks

Discus and support insert file dialog search bar shrinks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Where is the setting that makes the search bar in the insert file dialog box shrink when you click on it? To produce the problem, open Outlook [2016... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RS_ITGUY, Sep 24, 2020.

1. RS_ITGUY Win User

insert file dialog search bar shrinks

Where is the setting that makes the search bar in the insert file dialog box shrink when you click on it?

To produce the problem, open Outlook [2016 on Win 10 1909] and create a new email. Now Attach File -> Browse this PC. The insert file dialog box opens. Everything looks normal, but if you click in the search area, the search area and history only shrinks. It's not just the text, but the bar itself. See screenshot below. Notice how the search is smaller than the rest of the text?

I've checked Explorer and the search bar there doesn't shrink. I then tried insert picture in both Excel and Word and got the same shrinking. I tried the open dialog in Acrobat and that didn't shrink, so as far as I can tell, it seems limited to either Office or the insert file dialog, or both.

A search turned up the compact layout in Outlook View -> View Settings -> Other Settings, but turning that on and off didn't change the problem. Hoping someone here has seen this before.

insert file dialog search bar shrinks 22ea404a-bf31-4eaf-b08a-2a074c21472a?upload=true.png

** Moved from: Microsoft 365 and Office/ Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Office 2016 **

:)

RS_ITGUY, Sep 24, 2020

2. Unable to search files using Windows search bar

Hi Jill,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I would recommend you to run
    search and indexing troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting on the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Type indexing on the search bar and click on click on
      search and indexing.

• Click on Advanced on the search and indexing dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
      search and indexing troubleshooter.
    Please be informed that, it is not possible to revert back to the Windows 7 Start menu. However, I suggest you to give your valuable feedback and suggestion using Windows feedback app.

Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 24, 2020
  3. How to clear the search record at the search bar on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which search bar are you referring to?

• Is it the search bar in file explorer or the search bar on desktop (cortana and search)?
    If you are referring to the search bar in file explorer, I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:
    (to delete a specific entry)

• Open File Explorer.

• Click/tap inside the Search box, then select (highlight) the search suggestion (ex:
      ttt) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key.

• You will not notice that it has been deleted.

• Repeat if you would like to delete another one.

To clear all search entries, follow this:

• Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then
      run it.

Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by
    unblocking

the downloaded .bat file

3. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Sep 24, 2020
  4. insert file dialog search bar shrinks

Removed USB files suggestions showing up in search bar and in search this pc in windows explorer

I had inserted a USB in my laptop and then removed it but when I searched the files in the search bar and in search this PC in windows explorer, all of the files and suggestions from the USB show up. What do I do to remove them?

"show recently opened items in jump lists on start or taskbar and in file explorer quick access" is already disabled. I have tried removing and adding c and drive d drive from the indexing options. I also tried clearing the device search history but nothing
    seems to work.

Muhammad Luqman Qureshi, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

insert file dialog search bar shrinks

1. insert file dialog search bar shrinks - Similar Threads - insert file dialog

2. Search files progression bar on address bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search files progression bar on address bar: on windows 7 / windows 10 when you done a search in file explorer as it searched a green bar moved across the address bar - i liked this . In windows 11 all you get is the spinning circle on the top left . does anyone know how I can changed it back to the bar going across the...
  3. Search files progression bar on address bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search files progression bar on address bar: on windows 7 / windows 10 when you done a search in file explorer as it searched a green bar moved across the address bar - i liked this . In windows 11 all you get is the spinning circle on the top left . does anyone know how I can changed it back to the bar going across the...
  4. The search dialog is white but everything else including the search BAR on the taskbar is dark.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The search dialog is white but everything else including the search BAR on the taskbar is dark.: I have tried restarting my PC, changing old personalization settings and uninstalling latest updates, but it did not help. I also could not find "WhiteSearchBox" in my registry....
  5. The search dialog is white but everything else including the search BAR on the taskbar is dark.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The search dialog is white but everything else including the search BAR on the taskbar is dark.: I have tried restarting my PC, changing old personalization settings and uninstalling latest updates, but it did not help. I also could not find "WhiteSearchBox" in my registry....
  6. The search dialog is white but everything else including the search BAR on the taskbar is dark.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Need to stop File Explorer Search Box from Shrinking

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to stop File Explorer Search Box from Shrinking: Hello, MS Surface Book, Windows 10 Pro, up to date, Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1440). For the longest time when I have File Explorer open and want to do a file search, the search box shrinks to a very small size whenever I click in it to type something. It is so small I...
  8. Windows 10 explorer location bar shrinking - search bar growing

in Cortana
    Windows 10 explorer location bar shrinking - search bar growing: Hi, I seem to resizing my windows explorer search bar every other week. And then suddenly without being asked it has grown to fill almost all available space. Anybody else having this issue? Solutions? [ATTACH]...
  9. Search bar and missing file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search bar and missing file: My search bar has gone walkies and not come back also I had a file and now I can't find it anywhere https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-and-missing-file/77393ae1-a9cc-4b3a-911b-222deee84385"
  10. Search Bar in Open Dialog Box gone missing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Bar in Open Dialog Box gone missing.: Since this week, the Search Box/Bar on the far right top of the Open Dialog box in my Endnote application has gone missing. I have checked with the Endnote application team and they to are not able to see it working with Windows 10. It is essential as it is need to search...