Windows 10: Insert key not working

Discus and support Insert key not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday, for the first time since I bought my laptop, I needed to use the Insert key (it says "Einfg" instead of "Ins" because I bought it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Insert key not working

Yesterday, for the first time since I bought my laptop, I needed to use the Insert key (it says "Einfg" instead of "Ins" because I bought it from Germany). I tried it in two applications Freemind and Freeplane, in both of which it is supposed to create a child node on a mind map but it didn't work in either. Then I tried using it to toggle overwriting in MS Word, having first enabled the Insert-as-toggle option in Word's options, but it didn't work there either.

I tried plugging in an external (Belgian) USB keyboard, but the insert key didn't work on that either.

My laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 710-14IKB. It shipped with a German version of Windows 10 and occasionally still talks to me in German. I am now at version 2004.

NEW INFO: I have just discovered that shift+insert does work in Freeplane, in which it causes a new parent node to be inserted. So the physical insert key definitely works, but it doesn't do everything that it is supposed to.

How can I get Insert working?

:)

ricecrispies, Sep 26, 2020

2. Insert Key Default

Hi,

Additional information will help us to better understand your concern. Please answer the questions below:

• On what application are you trying to use the Insert Key?
    • Are you referring to Overtype mode in Word?
    • Where are you trying to enable/disable the Insert Key?

Janeane Cru, Sep 26, 2020
  3. Cat Disabled Insert Key

The cat stepped on some combination of keys that effected the insert command.

Now if I try to insert text, it just overwrites whatever is already written.

There's no "insert" key on my keyboard, only a "delete" key located pretty much

in her favorite path across the keyboard (but only when I'm working--of course!)

Cat Victim, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Insert key not working

How to get Insert Key to work

This has been a constant source of frustration with Microsoft in General and Windows 10 in particular. The insert key no longer toggles between insert and overwrite. Is there a way to get this to work? I have version 1903.

uwphotonut, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

Insert key not working

1. Insert key not working - Similar Threads - Insert key working

2. Original Product Key Insertion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Original Product Key Insertion: Hi,I was studying a docker course when I was setting up the docker I wanted to activate Hyper V, but this feature was not available, I had to change my product key, but now I want to insert my original product key, and when I try to insert it, it sends me this message 'the...
  3. Original Product Key Insertion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Original Product Key Insertion: Hi,I was studying a docker course when I was setting up the docker I wanted to activate Hyper V, but this feature was not available, I had to change my product key, but now I want to insert my original product key, and when I try to insert it, it sends me this message 'the...
  4. Original Product Key Insertion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Insert Key Not Working, Icon Spacing Wrong.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Insert Key Not Working, Icon Spacing Wrong.: Hi. So I have been customizing my desktop and realized that I can't put icons close to the top or bottom of my screen on the desktop. I have my screen scale at 124%. I went into REGEDIT and modified the value of iconSpacing to -480 and iconVerticalSpacing to something...
  6. Insert key not working in specific situations

in Windows 10 Support
    Insert key not working in specific situations: For the first time, I have needed to use the Insert key on my laptop, but I have discovered that it doesn't work when I need it to work. To be more specific, it doesn't work when I try to use it in Freeplane or Freemind (in both of which it causes a new child node to be...
  7. Insert key not working

Insert key not working: When I press the Insert key on my laptop in apps that make use of the Insert key, nothing happens. For instance in Freeplane, pressing the Insert key is supposed to create a child node on a mind map, but it doesn't work. I have also tried to use the Insert key in Freemind and...
  8. Insert key has stopped working after recent updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Insert key has stopped working after recent updates: I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or an Edge issue, as I've updated both in just the last couple of weeks. But on all three of my computers, the "insert" key has stopped toggling. I WAS able to type over characters. Now I'm forced to type in the new text and then...
  9. How to get Insert Key to work

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Insert Key to work: This has been a constant source of frustration with Microsoft in General and Windows 10 in particular. The insert key no longer toggles between insert and overwrite. Is there a way to get this to work? I have version 1903. 139756
  10. insert key

insert key: how do I turn off the insert key on win 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/insert-key/2bc17fd0-1405-4412-88e3-d13f15a4460b