Windows 10: Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems

Discus and support Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OK, maybe this was really stupid. I had a 32GB flash drive formatted with the Win10 media upgrade image on it (bootable). I was going to use it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spkay31, Aug 18, 2016.

1. spkay31 Win User

Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems

OK, maybe this was really stupid. I had a 32GB flash drive formatted with the Win10 media upgrade image on it (bootable). I was going to use it to upgrade another system but in the meantime I wanted to copy some programs between two systems. I inserted the flash drive into my previously installed Windows 10 laptop which was running flawlessly for 5 weeks and setup using the D: user profile setup (autorun move of profiles to D post install step).

So now after I inserted the flash drive it appeared like my current windows 10 system was trying to reinstall windows 10 again, I didn't realize anything would happen simply by plugging in the flash drive. So I aborted the "getting windows ready" but now I can login to the system but have an error dialog:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and them try again. If the location still can't be found, it might be moved or deleted.

So when I open explorer and look in C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile I do not see a Desktop folder. I am guessing the install got to a certain point before I halted it and now some system files are gone. Damn I am so fuming over this, I assumed the flash drive insert would prompt before any action and I was just going to copy a couple of files to do an install of Visual Studio. I'm hoping there's a path to recovery that doesn't involve complete reinstall, there is a lot of additional software installed and configured now that I don't want to re-install! Hoping someone has some tips to try and recover this. I do have all the software on the system and can run it but I realize the OS is not fully configured.

Cheers,
    -Scott

:)

spkay31, Aug 18, 2016

2. Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems

Something doesn't sound right. To me, it sounds like you actually initiated the install again.

In order to do that, the following would have happened when you connected the thumb drive. A lot of requires user input. So, could you explain how that happened unless you some how configured the thumb drive for unattended setup?

So could you explain how you went through all this?

Connect the thumbdrive then

Click Run setup.exe

Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems [​IMG]

Wait while setup is initialized.

You can select download and install any important updates before upgrading. This is recommended since it can help to ensure a smooth upgrade. If you are not connected to the Internet, select the Not right now radio box instead. Click
    Next.

Wait while Windows 10 setup checks your system.

Accept the End User License Agreement.

Wait while Windows 10 setup does one final check to ensure your system is ready.

Windows 10 setup will check if you have enough disk space. If you don’t, review the following article for instructions how to upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update on a system with limited space:

How
    to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Please note, you have the option of choosing what you would like to keep, which includes personal files, apps and settings. If you want to perform a new install or just keep your files click
    Change what to keep. Once you have chosen the desired options, click Install to begin.

This will be your screen for a little while. During the installation, your computer will restart several times.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2016
  3. Scott_Kay Win User

OK, maybe this was really stupid. I had a 32GB flash drive formatted with the Win10 media upgrade image on it (bootable). I was going to use it to upgrade another system but in the meantime I wanted to copy some programs between two systems. I inserted
    the flash drive into my previously installed Windows 10 laptop which was running flawlessly for 5 weeks and setup using the D: user profile setup (autorun move of profiles to D post install step).

I didn't think any install action would happen automatically and certainly nothing if running on a system already running Windows 10 (nothing to upgrade) but I guess that was and incorrect assumption??

So now after I inserted the flash drive it appeared like my current windows 10 system was trying to reinstall windows 10 again, I didn't realize anything would happen simply by plugging in the flash drive.
    So I aborted the "getting windows ready" but now I can login to the system but have an error dialog:

C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the
    network or Internet, and them try again. If the location still can't be found, it might be moved or deleted.

So when I open explorer and look in C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile I do not see a Desktop folder. I am guessing the install got to a certain point before I halted it and now some system files are gone. Damn I am so fuming over this, I assumed
    the flash drive insert would prompt before any action and I was just going to copy a couple of files to do an install of Visual Studio. I'm hoping there's a path to recovery that doesn't involve complete reinstall, there is a lot of additional software installed
    and configured now that I don't want to re-install! Hoping someone has some tips to try and recover this. I do have all the software on the system and can run it but I realize the OS is not fully configured.

It runs but there are no icons on the desktop (they show up and immediately disappear after login). Looking for the best solution to recover from this situation.

Cheers,

-Scott

Scott_Kay, Aug 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

simrick, Aug 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Inserted win10 boot USB flash drive to working Win10 system - problems - Similar Threads - Inserted win10 boot

2. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: On Feb 8 I asked this question. I have follow-on questions, but could not add to previous question. Although my Old too-small win10 PRO C:\ still works perfectly, I am still unable to get my Cloned 1TB D:\ drive to boot, although the D: appears correctly cloned except for the...
  3. Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Boot Problem on cloned SSD drive: I have a DIY desktop that I built in 2013 and installed as I remember win8. It has been automatically updating since then. It now has the latest version of Win10. I still runs well. My problem is that the win10 C: SSD drive is too small 256GB. I purchased a larger 1TB SSD. I...
  4. Boot problems for win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot problems for win10: Hi. I have the error 0×c0000225.I tried to install ubuntu because win10 become to heavy because is an old laptop.Ubuntu is not install properly but was an error so now i have an error in boot.With "chkdsk c: /f /r" the file system is fat32 and volume ubuntu 20_0 wS...
  5. Boot problems for win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot problems for win10: Hi. I have the error 0×c0000225.I tried to install ubuntu because win10 become to heavy because is an old laptop.Ubuntu is not install properly but was an error so now i have an error in boot.With "chkdsk c: /f /r" the file system is fat32 and volume ubuntu 20_0 wS...
  6. Boot problems for win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Emojis not inserting in Win10

Emojis not inserting in Win10: In Win10, the emoji panel opens just fine. However, when selecting an emoji it will not insert into any document. They used to work perfectly then suddenly stopped working....
  8. Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting

Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting: I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results show that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". After that, I clicked Startup Repair...
  9. USB Flash drive please insert a disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive please insert a disk: Usb flash drive please insert a disk, tried different computers. Updated drivers. Changed drive letter. Uninstalled driver and reinstalled. Checked for updates. Ran troubleshooter. Please help I have a document I really need.......
  10. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...