Windows 10: Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive

Discus and support Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, My computer is configured like this: Drive C:\ --> SSD 250g with windows Drive G:\ --> HDD 1tb I have a built in SD card reader and when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sylvain Ayotte, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive

Hi,

My computer is configured like this:
    Drive C:\ --> SSD 250g with windows

Drive G:\ --> HDD 1tb

I have a built in SD card reader and when I insert a card in it, a new drive D: is created but it's displaying the same thing as the disk G:\.

I've tried to visually document it as much as I can.

We can see the Disk management is ok and it's showing my 64g memory card assign to D:\

But in the file explorer, we can see the letters D:\ and G:\ have the same size and when I open them Acer D: and Acer G: the both have the same content.

I've tried using an external card reader and I end up with the same result.

I've look everywhere and try many thing but I still can't figure out why the File explorer is not matching with the Disk management.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive f70172f4-7248-44e4-806d-aeb34f42e27b?upload=true.png

:)

Sylvain Ayotte, Jan 15, 2021
  2. uzier Win User

Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted

I have SD card with Raspbian OS on it. When I insert the card using the card reader adapter, Windows asks me to format the E:\ drive, and it shows two different drives where it supposed to be just one (the boot with Raspbian OS on it). Recently it also shows the message: "Location is not available E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." but the boot is on I:\ drive and this E:\ drive should not even exist.

- When I format E:\ drive it shows empty E:\ drive and full boot on I:\ drive. When I eject the boot drive, both drives disappear, however, the I:\ (boot) drive is no longer working properly. (does not boot the OS on raspberry pi)

- When I reinsert the SD card it does not show me any errors. When I then format the SD card (I:\) boot drive, the E:\ drive disappears and I'm left just with I:\ drive. (when I put fresh Raspbian on I:\ drive, the error to format E:\ shows up again)

- When I put some files onto the SD card it does not seem to show any other drives when I eject and reinsert.

It is only happening when I have an image located on the SD card.

I tried:

• Different USB ports
    • Different SD card readers / adapters
    • chkdsk /F /R /X I: (from the command line)
    • chkdsk /F /R /X E: (from the command line (is says that the file system is RAW))

uzier, Jan 15, 2021
  3. SD card inserted into PC doesn't do anything

Hi,

We may need to do further investigation to identify the issue and its cause. Please provide us the following information:

• Have you tried inserting or connecting other SD cards?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to insert the SD card, or when trying to connect the camera? If so, please send us a screenshot.
    • Are you getting any error messages in Device Manager? Please send us a screenshot.

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices
    troubleshooter to scan your computer, identify the problem, and attempt to fix the issue automatically. You may refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R and type Control Panel.
    • Type troubleshooting in the search bar and click on
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on Hardware and Devices.
    • Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Jan 15, 2021
  4. uzier Win User

Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive

Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted

alphanumeric, thank you for the response. On a fresh install of Windows 10, or previous versions of Windows, when I inserted the sd card it just showed the drive and the files which would be booted on Raspberry Pi (linux). Now it does not behave as expected. Normally you would insert SD or USB or CD or anything and you can look into it and see what's on that drive without any previous error messages. Mine is always trying to format the drive when I insert the SD card, I just do not want to see these multiple error messages each time I insert SD card. I perform multiple SD backups daily and these are critical, sometimes I accidentally format the SD card as the message appears straight in the middle of the screen when I insert SD card. Is there a way to repair it? It happens after latest update of Windows 10 (PS. this does not happen on any other PC in my company when I do the same operation). From what you said it seems like Windows need to ignore Linux system partition how do I disable that?

uzier, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive

1. Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive - Similar Threads - Inserting card point

2. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and it doesn't recognize/show an SD card when inserted. I have searched the Microsoft Community and many of the solutions start with locating the SD card in the device manager; however, my SD drive doesn't even show up in the...
  3. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and it doesn't recognize/show an SD card when inserted. I have searched the Microsoft Community and many of the solutions start with locating the SD card in the device manager; however, my SD drive doesn't even show up in the...
  4. SD card not detected unless inserted before boot

in Windows 10 Support
    SD card not detected unless inserted before boot: I have a common issue with my SD card where the card is not detected if I insert it while Windows is running. If I insert the card before booting up, then the card is recognized. The card works as expected with other operating systems. Version 20H2 181341
  5. AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card: When I insert an SD card, I would like File Explorer to open and display the contents. I tried changing the options in Settings -> Devices - AutoPlay to the following: Removable drive: Open folder to view files File Explorer Memory card: Open folder to view files File...
  6. how to insert sd card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to insert sd card: how to insert sd card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-insert-sd-card/b093ae6e-7b9b-408e-82b6-d5dee16c5bee
  7. inserting micro sd card

inserting micro sd card: hi when I insert a micro sd card into the slot on my laptop it won't stay or click in place. it works if I hold it in place. can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inserting-micro-sd-card/110bd64b-13e0-414c-a03d-ecd379cfad66
  8. BSOD inserting SD card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD inserting SD card: Hi when i turned on my PC i typed my PassWord in and i ejected my SD card while logging in and inserted when my desktop and then i got BSOD. And i forgot what the error was and i know whats in the sd card and its just unsupported files (thats not corrupted and no dll and exe...
  9. Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted

Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted: I have SD card with Raspbian OS on it. When I insert the card using the card reader adapter, Windows asks me to format the E:\ drive, and it shows two different drives where it supposed to be just one (the boot with Raspbian OS on it). Recently it also shows the message:...
  10. Problem showing SD cards when inserted in card reader

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem showing SD cards when inserted in card reader: Here's the thing: I have a multi card reader which has been working fine until the Anniversary Update. Now, when I insert an SD card, Windows doesn't show the card mounted. It remains as a hidden object which can only be viewed when I activate the "show hidden items"...