Windows 10: inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes

Discus and support inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm backing up to an external drive seagate expansion 500gb using winzip on windows 10 pro. The drive has several backups on it, all around 60-70Gb in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by bhin293, Feb 9, 2020.

1. bhin293 Win User

inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes

I'm backing up to an external drive seagate expansion 500gb using winzip on windows 10 pro. The drive has several backups on it, all around 60-70Gb in size.

Recently, I notice that when I attach the drive, Windows almost immediately opens each zip file to retrieve the directory. Because there are several older backups on the drive, this causes the cpu usage to spike to 100% the machine is a dual core 3Ghz for 15 to 20 minutes, making the machine unusable during that time. I cannot stop it from doing this. Eventually it finishes whatever it is doing and cpu usage goes back to normal.

I've been able to reproduce the behavior on other machines with windows 10 pro and windows 10 home. The cpu usage and the time it takes for things to settle back down vary, depending on the number of cores and core speed. Task manager shows it is the windows explorer process that is using the cpu.

I don't believe it is a disk throughput issue because it is the cpu usage that goes to 100%. Disk I/O goes to zero and stays there for the majority of the high cpu usage time.

I had also tried renaming all the zip files to have a .txt file extension. When I re-inserted the drive, there was no increase in cpu usage. To me, this implicated the zip files.

The net affect is we can't use these backup scripts or do anything else for that matter without waiting 15 to 20 minutes for the computer to calm down.

Is there any way to turn off this behavior?

thanks.

:)

bhin293, Feb 9, 2020
  2. bhin293 Win User

inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes

I'm backing up to an external drive (seagate expansion 500gb) using winzip on Windows 7. The drive has several backups on it, all around 60-70Gb in size. The backup procedures have been working just fine for several years.

Recently, the machine was upgraded to windows 10. Now, I notice that when I attach the drive, Windows almost immediately opens each zip file to retrieve the directory. Because there are several older backups on the drive, this causes
    the cpu usage to spike to 100% (the machine is a dual core 3Ghz) for 15 to 20 minutes, making the machine unusable during that time. I cannot stop it from doing this. Eventually it finishes whatever it is doing and cpu usage goes back to normal.

I've been able to reproduce the behavior on other machines with windows 10 pro and windows 10 home. The cpu usage and the time it takes for things to settle back down vary, depending on the number of cores and core speed. Task manager
    shows it is the windows explorer process that is using the cpu.

I don't believe it is a disk throughput issue because it is the cpu usage that goes to 100%. Disk I/O goes to zero and stays there for the majority of the high cpu usage time.

I had also tried renaming all the zip files to have a .txt file extension. When I re-inserted the drive, there was no increase in cpu usage. To me, this implicated the zip files.

The net affect is we can't use these backup scripts (or do anything else for that matter) without waiting 15 to 20 minutes for the computer to calm down.
    Is there any way to turn off this behavior?

thanks.

bhin293, Feb 9, 2020
  3. RonGreen1 Win User
    onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes

onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes

Help..makes my laptop unusable

please help

RonGreen1, Feb 9, 2020
  4. maxatv Win User

CPU usage 100% but system idle process says otherwise

Hello, So I was copying a large group of files (400 gigs) to an external drive, it was about 150 gigs in when the PC crashed ( i believe due to MSI usb speed up), i've since removed the MSI program but CPU usage stays at 100% from the moment the PC turns on, however system idle process shows it's using most everything which is good, and PC perfomance is normal and unlike if CPU usage was actually 100%, but I can't figure out how to fix this, any suggestions or tips would be so helpful, I've attached screen shots showing 100% usage but every program running doesn't add up to near that and system idle showing everything mostly idle. Thanks!!!!!

inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes [​IMG]

inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes [​IMG]

maxatv, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

1. inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes - Similar Threads - inserting external drive

2. CPU usage at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU usage at 100%: Hi!My name is Luca and from like 2 weeks ago my laptop started lagging.At first i didnt know what it was,but when i watched some videos online i looked at my task manager and the CPU was at 100%.I watched so many videos online but it didn't work.My laptop i an ASUS AMD Ryzen...
  3. 100% cpu usage

100% cpu usage: I have begun to notice when I have my charger plugged into my laptop, it causes my CPU usage to shoot up to 100%. However, when I unplug my charger it drops down to around 20%-30%. Does this mean my laptop charger is playing up? Or is there something running on my pc that Is...
  4. 100% CPU Usage

100% CPU Usage: PC fine until update to version 20H2 installed, now intermittent 100% CPU usage once or twice an hour for one to two minutes at a time. How do I correct the problem on this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-cpu-usage/7fed075a-2d99-44cc-bec1-93f40c948c6e
  5. inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes: I'm backing up to an external drive seagate expansion 500gb using winzip on Windows 7. The drive has several backups on it, all around 60-70Gb in size. The backup procedures have been working just fine for several years. Recently, the machine was upgraded to windows 10....
  6. 100% cpu usage

100% cpu usage: Once i booted today, i realised after a few minutes that my pc was acting extremely slow and jittery. I had open task manager and noticed my CPU was at extreme loads of 80-100%. The top 2 processes were "appmodel" "Serivce host: Remote procedure". It seems that the least...
  7. Windows 10 loads into a high CPU usage for several minutes and crashes immediately. Results...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 loads into a high CPU usage for several minutes and crashes immediately. Results...: Hello all I've been trying to use my computer for the last 2 hours. My computer has not been able to load Windows 10 after getting into the login screen. I have noticed that the CPU usage for some reason is very high (100%) and the fans are also running at max speed. I've...
  8. CPU 100% usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU 100% usage: I have two issues with windows 10, first issue is that, the taskbar in windows 10 showing me that the CPU is being used 100%. In Ubuntu it's running smoothly. I didn't have the issue windows until this morning. So after trying multiple solution from online the CPU still shows...
  9. onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes

onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes: onedrive on bootup causes 100% disk usage for 10 ~ 20 minutes Help..makes my laptop unusable please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/onedrive-on-bootup-causes-100-disk-usage-for-10-20/66a39529-ed8b-4336-8970-a487d7b99b7d
  10. 100% CPU usage.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% CPU usage.: Hi all. I sometimes use Xilisoft audio convertor and it puts CPU usage through the roof, sits on 100%. I do not use other progs to compare this to. Consequently PC slows down sometimes freezes, web slow to load etc. Is this normal. New install of win 10, 2 months ago. 8 gig...