Windows 10: Inserting or unplugging USB devices cause Windows 10 to lock

Discus and support Inserting or unplugging USB devices cause Windows 10 to lock in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I cannot seem to figure out where this setting is but literally any device that I connect to a USB port on my computer will cause Windows 10 to go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chownsauce, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Inserting or unplugging USB devices cause Windows 10 to lock

I cannot seem to figure out where this setting is but literally any device that I connect to a USB port on my computer will cause Windows 10 to go to the lock screen. It can be even unplugging and plugging back in my keyboard or mouse. Any device. Is that some new security feature? I don't remember it always doing this previously so wondering if it has to do with some update. Does anyone know?

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS Version: 10.0.19041 N/A Build 19041

I did find this after unplugging my phone from my machine in the event log:

Faulting application name: LogonUI.exe, version: 10.0.19041.1, time stamp: 0xc08a5452

Faulting module name: USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x53d9fa55

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000002b4a8

Faulting process id: 0x145c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d6a24e2fecc4bf

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogonUI.exe

Faulting module path: USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll

Report Id: dd964478-ac31-4168-a646-c6d01267d47b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

It doesn't show a USB key being configured though so I don't understand.

submitted by /u/chownsauce
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/chownsauce, Oct 14, 2020

2. Computer freezing/rebooting when inserting USB devices

Just about 90% of the time when I plug in a USB device (external HD, ipod, etc) my computer will just lock up...can't move mouse, can't even control alt delete...nothing so of course I'm forced to reboot.

I haven't found many solutions except the one Linked Here. So I make the notepad dialog and add it to the registry, but then the second step is to "Unplug ALL usb devices" and proceed to Device Manager to "Uninstall all devices under USB controllers" well both my mouse and keyboard are USB devices, so obviously if I unplug them nothing works, so I just attempt to uninstall what I can and of course eventually it uninstalls the drivers for my mouse and keyboard therefore rendering them useless... I have no idea what to do but this is extremely annoying and I refuse to accept it. I have the latest BIOS on my motherboard

Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB 3
    Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
    12GB Ram
    All "important updates" are installed (windows update) but I know this isn't the problem because I had about 25 to install for months now and never had these USB errors.

Obviously I'd like to avoid doing a clean install of my OS but if that's what I have to do Ill do it.

cctaylor88, Oct 14, 2020
  3. USB device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged

Hi Ai-Ling,

Appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you have tried. I suggest you run Hardware Troubleshooter and check as it is an automated tool which checks the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues and provides the details on how to fix
    them. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and press “Enter”.

• In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

• Click on “Hardware and Devices”.

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
    I also suggest you to Disable & Enable all USB controllers and check if it helps.

• Click Windows key + R, type
      devmgmt.msc
      and press Enter.

• Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

• Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers mode, and then click Disable one at a time.

• Restart the computer, and then enable the USB controllers.
    Update USB Controllers: To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go Select Device manager.

• Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.

• Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select
      Update.
    How to Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes, we’ll be glad to assist.

SujataMoktan, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Inserting or unplugging USB devices cause Windows 10 to lock

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Inserting or unplugging USB devices cause Windows 10 to lock

1. Inserting or unplugging USB devices cause Windows 10 to lock - Similar Threads - Inserting unplugging USB

2. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep: I'm running Windows 10 [0] via Apple Boot Camp on a 2016 Macbook Pro. I have display [1] connected to my MBP over the certified TB3 cable. That display has a built-in USB Hub with USB-C ports. My Logi Bolt receiver is connected to the hub and a mouse and keyboard are paired...
  3. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep: I'm running Windows 10 [0] via Apple Boot Camp on a 2016 Macbook Pro. I have display [1] connected to my MBP over the certified TB3 cable. That display has a built-in USB Hub with USB-C ports. My Logi Bolt receiver is connected to the hub and a mouse and keyboard are paired...
  4. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. bsod when unplugging usb device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bsod when unplugging usb device: i very regularly always get bsod when i unplug anything from any of my usb ports, bsod says PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. i can access the minidump file but dont know how top upload it on here for further assitance....
  6. bsod when unplugging usb device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bsod when unplugging usb device: i very regularly always get bsod when i unplug anything from any of my usb ports, bsod says PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. i can access the minidump file but dont know how top upload it on here for further assitance....
  7. Keep usb unplugged

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keep usb unplugged: i am trying to install windows 10 and it keeps installing in in external drive instead of the internal one when i remove the device blue screen appears and i have to shut down again and can only access the operating system when the external drive is plugged in i am using a...
  8. No auto USB insert

No auto USB insert: When I insert my USB there is no automatic showing of any files. I have tried everything on Web and nobody has the answer. I know all about "auto play" and have tried that all to no avail. Olease any ideas ? Thanks Ron 151562
  9. No auto USB insert

in Windows 10 Support
    No auto USB insert: When I insert my USB there is no automatic showing of any files. I have tried everything on Web and nobody has the answer. I know all about "auto play" and have tried that all to no avail. Olease any ideas ? Thanks Ron 151562
  10. Windows USB port not detecting new inserted devices.

Windows USB port not detecting new inserted devices.: This issue is happening on windows (7 & 10) on a HP computer. The USB devices will not be recognized even after updating the USB drivers. The USB Devices will however become recognized after disabling, then enabling said drivers. The USB Device will not be recognized as being...