Windows 10: insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues)

Discus and support insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; i've had an HP G5 255 laptop for work for years. mine worked fine. no issues. then it got stolen out of a rental car in san jose. now i'm using a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/doc_shades, Nov 14, 2019.

1. insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues)

i've had an HP G5 255 laptop for work for years. mine worked fine. no issues.

then it got stolen out of a rental car in san jose.

now i'm using a former coworker's G5 255 -- purchased at the same time as my old system. i didn't reformat it or anything because it has our professional software installed on it.

this computer however has problems with "sleep".

when i press the power button --- to send the computer into sleep mode --- the screen turns off, but the "action button" lights remain on (i.e. the light to signify that "mute" is enabled).

more importantly, the fan speed cranks up like it's getting ready to blast off into outer space.

i've tried messing with the sleep mode/power mode settings and nothing seems to work.

i don't know if my former coworker did anything to the system --- he had "speedfan" installed. i did some reading on it and couldn't find that any system changes were made. i reset the BIOS and uninstalled SpeedFan while also resetting any changes made and restarted the system.

i can't even close the lid to the computer and take it home --- if this computer is unplugged from power it will go into "sleep mode" which means the fan spins 90,000 rpm and the computer is unresponsive. the only way to get the computer back is to hard-reset the system by holding the power button.

(for reference my old laptop i could just close the lid, unplug power, throw it in a bag and drive home and press the button to wake it up from sleep. this computer --- no sleeping)

as far as i'm aware all of the updates are current and everything else is functioning okay.

if someone has any advice, suggestions, or has seen an HP G5 for sale at a pawnshop in southern california, let me know!

submitted by /u/doc_shades
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/doc_shades, Nov 14, 2019
  2. Trapper Win User

Sleep mode suffers from insomnia

Sleep mode suffers from insomnia.
    Please see attached Snippet showing my power options relating to Win 10 sleep.
    When I hit the sleep key on the keyboard, or the Power - Sleep from the drop down menu or the same from the desktop, the PC shuts down, the fans stop. 9 times out 10 about 5 seconds later the fans resume and the logon screen appears, activate sleep again and the cycle is repeated.
    ANY suggestions what may be causing this, it's driving me bonkers. I've not used Hibernate and that option does not appear on my menus. Don't know if that would help or not. I am not using SSD only SATA drives.

insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues) [​IMG]

Trapper, Nov 14, 2019
  3. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Nov 14, 2019
  4. insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues)

Sleep mode

Hi,

This issue with sleep mode could have happened due to corrupted or outdated drivers. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you update your drivers. You can follow the steps provided in this

article

If the issue still persists, we also suggest that you change the settings in your Windows 10. You can follow the steps provided in this

article
    . This will give you steps to shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anthony Gal, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues)

1. insomnia (laptop sleep mode issues) - Similar Threads - insomnia laptop sleep

2. Issues with Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Sleep mode: I have had constant issues with sleep mode on my New HP Envy Desktop that came with Windows 11 preloaded. Sleep mode starts just fine, but after about 10 minutes, I get a message from my monitor that there is no video input The monitor is an HP 27" When I move the mouse, the...
  3. Issues with Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Sleep mode: I have had constant issues with sleep mode on my New HP Envy Desktop that came with Windows 11 preloaded. Sleep mode starts just fine, but after about 10 minutes, I get a message from my monitor that there is no video input The monitor is an HP 27" When I move the mouse, the...
  4. Sleep mode issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep mode issues: So I don't know what is causing this particular issue, and am not really finding any good answers for it when I search.I was forced to do a clean install of Windows when my previous boot drive had a critical failure and basically bricked. So I bought a brand new drive Samsung...
  5. Sleep Mode Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Mode Issue: After installing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 computer and monitor will not go into sleep mode. Checked the Power & Sleep settings and they are set will values. Any suggestions?...
  6. sleep mode issues

sleep mode issues: I have all of my settings for sleep mode to not cause the pc to sleep at all. It still goes into sleep mode and still won't wake up when I push any buttons or the touchpad. Any advice?...
  7. Sleep mode issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sleep mode issue: Recently I have noticed that after I have put my pc into sleep, it's waking up on it's own... It's kind of weird problem for me! Another problem is that I am seeing a box on the sound bar and performance bar on battery section on the taskbar.. Why I am seeing those issues?...
  8. Sleep mode issue

Sleep mode issue: When I turn my laptop into sleep mode, it goes into sleep mode, but after some time it is automatically getting shut down. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-issue/0aef3481-5072-4dcb-b44b-9ea19eff5903
  9. Insomnia

in Windows 10 Support
    Insomnia: Computer suffers from insomnia. Computer (Desktop, Win 10 Pro) will not go to sleep although i did change the settings on the power profiles, used various power profiles, created a new one etc... Also the screen will not suspend ever after the given time of non-use. The...
  10. Sleep mode suffers from insomnia

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep mode suffers from insomnia: Sleep mode suffers from insomnia. Please see attached Snippet showing my power options relating to Win 10 sleep. When I hit the sleep key on the keyboard, or the Power - Sleep from the drop down menu or the same from the desktop, the PC shuts down, the fans stop. 9 times...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. insomnia doesnt keep laptop on