Windows 10: Instaling programs just for my user account

Discus and support Instaling programs just for my user account in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi! So me and my father share a desktop computer running Windows 10 on two different user accounts(both are linked to a Microsoft account) and each one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by shoqw, Dec 30, 2017.

1. shoqw Win User

Instaling programs just for my user account

Hi! So me and my father share a desktop computer running Windows 10 on two different user accounts(both are linked to a Microsoft account) and each one of us has installed various programs. However, when I installed some of my games, they popped up on his desktop, and I don't really want my stuff to be on his account too. So my question is, is it possible to install software such as Steam, Discord etc... just to one user account, so I can be the only one that sees it and can access it, or our programs will be shared on both of our desktops, start menus etc. ?

:)

shoqw, Dec 30, 2017
  2. wrayc954 Win User

windows 10 update

different microsoft login accounts

the programs are installed

they just don't appear in my startup menu or program list

my computer is Gateway FX510XT

the problem is not the computer

something happened during update process

the other user account on the same computer is fine

no desktop icons or programs missing

thankyou

wrayc954, Dec 30, 2017
  3. why cant i go back to windows 7

I have master account and user account in windows 7 and also in windows 10

after the transformation from windows 7 to 10 i changed my passwords and also downloaded a program called vlc which is a media playing program from the store in which the vlc program never installed onto my user account it just installed
    into the master account so i deleted the vlc program

that basically is the extent of what i did to my windows i am going to do a quick check now of dir on c brb

shows windows and an old windows.old

is their a place i can download a legal copy of windows 7 64 bit and ill just do a reinstall and copy my files to a usb and transfer them

paulhoover68, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Instaling programs just for my user account

Some program installers give you the option of installing just for your own account. Most do not.

The only difference between "just for me" and "for everyone" is in the placement of the shortcuts ... as you already seem to know.
    So if a program won't allow "just for me" ... just install as usual, and then move the shortcuts from the "everyone" location to the "personal" location, as follows ...

In the "everyone" Start Menu folders, found here ...
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    ... any shortcuts will be visible by everyone in his Start Menu, regardless of login.

But if those shortcuts are in either of these "personal" folders ...
    C:\Users\<YOUR-USER-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    C:\Users\<YOUR-USER-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    ... then only you will see them in your Start Menu.

There's a similar situation with desktop files (whether those files be shortcuts or any other type of file).

Items placed in the "everyone" location, here ...
    C:\Users\Public\Desktop
    ... will show up on everyone's desktop, regardless of login.

Where as items placed in your personal desktop folder, found here ...
    C:\Users\<YOUR-USER-NAME>\Desktop
    ... will only show up on your desktop.

Feel free to move shortcuts from either of those "everyone" locations to your "personal" location.

margrave55, Dec 31, 2017
Thema:

Instaling programs just for my user account

1. Instaling programs just for my user account - Similar Threads - Instaling programs user

2. How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs: I have Win 11 set up with a Standard User Account local without admin privileges for day to day operations. I don't want anyone with admin privileges doing day to day work for safety reasons. What is the best way to give the Standard User temporary access to an admin password...
  3. How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to allow Standard User local account to Install Programs: I have Win 11 set up with a Standard User Account local without admin privileges for day to day operations. I don't want anyone with admin privileges doing day to day work for safety reasons. What is the best way to give the Standard User temporary access to an admin password...
  4. Access my files from user account, not just administrator account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access my files from user account, not just administrator account.: I read I should make a user non-administrative account for everyday online use of my laptop. I added an account that is me but not as administrator. I need to access all my personal files with my new user account. I tried making one folder shareable as a test. That failed....
  5. Access my files from user account, not just administrator account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access my files from user account, not just administrator account.: I read I should make a user non-administrative account for everyday online use of my laptop. I added an account that is me but not as administrator. I need to access all my personal files with my new user account. I tried making one folder shareable as a test. That failed....
  6. Access my files from user account, not just administrator account.

7. User Account Control Blocking Programs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Control Blocking Programs: I am unable to launch my accounting program after installing it on my new laptop. User account control blocks it. How can I get around this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/user-account-control-blocking-programs/369c4290-bf10-4dd1-bc75-27196e8e85c3
  8. Installing Programs with Multiple Users

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Programs with Multiple Users: If I have 2 users in windows 10 (one is an admin account signed into a Microsoft account, one is a local account without admin privileges) will I have to download programs like discord twice, once on each user? And will it keep one account logged in on one user and a...
  9. Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?: I want to have both The Sims 2 (base game, physical copy/CD installation) and The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (digital download) on the same computer, but I can't run one with the other installed because they conflict. I have two user accounts on my computer and I was...
  10. Programs installed using Admin account not available for other users

Programs installed using Admin account not available for other users: Some programs I installed using my "Admin" account are not accessible to my other "Standard" user accounts. Examples are Spotify and uTorrent. I checked and they are installed in appdata/roaming of my admin account, so I guess they were installed only for that specific...