Windows 10: Install a bootable permanently in partitions

Discus and support Install a bootable permanently in partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there some way we can install a bootable software permanently, by partitioning the hard disk? If so, how to do it? The software in question here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by white wolverine, May 17, 2017.

1. Install a bootable permanently in partitions

Is there some way we can install a bootable software permanently, by partitioning the hard disk?
    If so, how to do it?
    The software in question here is the Kaspersky rescue to usb, which is a bootable anti virus os size around 400 mb.
    So my question is there some way i can install it in the disk and directly boot into it?

:)

white wolverine, May 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 installation

Create a bootable CD of Partition Wizard, insert the CD and power off the laptop. Now power it on and see if you can boot from the Partition Wizard CD. Use it to delete "All" partitions on your disk drive. Now try installing Windows 10.

Partition Wizard Home Edition (Free):

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Note: There is also a bootable CD or bootable Flash drive versions:

CD: Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

Flash Drive: Boot partition manager from USB Flash disk directly to manage disk partition - Partition Wizard Bootable Flash Drive.

Resize Partition Video: How to Move/Resize Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial

Some of the features and Functions include: Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition,

Resize / Shrink a partition, Move partitions, Restore Partition after accidental deletion,

Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition, Disk surface test,

Change drive letter, Set active partition, partition explorer (View contents).

Note: To complete any task use the 'Pending Operations' box located in the lower or top left.

:
    http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, May 17, 2017
  3. windows 10 is not booting after dual boot with ubuntu

ubuntu installer has changed something called the partition map, its the identification of each of the hard drive partitions. ubuntu installer took the boot identification away from the partition where windows installed, and put it in the new partition
    it made to install Ubuntu on. get into ubuntu and use a disk manager to change the partition map and make the partition where windows installed bootable as well

Al Sesalim, May 17, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Install a bootable permanently in partitions

As it happens, I wrote a story about this for TechTarget's SearchEnterpriseDesktop website. It's entitled "How to build and use a bootable recovery partition in Windows 10." You'll want to follow the instructions for setting up the partition and making it bootable, then copy the entire contents of the Kaspersky environment into that partition. Then, you can set up the partition to show up in the boot menu, so that when you select it during boot, it will take over and run your PC.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: to do your thing, you'll also need to enact the following steps:
    1. Use a partition management program (I recommend the excellent, free MiniTool Partition Wizard) to carve out and set up an empty partition on your boot disk. It's a good idea to give it some slack space, so if Kaspersky consumes 400 MB it's best to size it at 500 or 550 MB, or more if you can spare it).
    2. Assign the partition a drive letter so you can copy the Kaspersky stuff into your new partition.
    3. Use a tool like EasyBCD (also available as freeware or commercial-ware) to point to and add your Kaspersky partition to the boot menu. You can use the explore option in MiniTool Partition Wizard to find the Windows recovery environment (WinRE) or pre-installation environment (WinPE) .WIM file that your new partition loads and runs to do its thing. Here's a screen cap of the info you'll need to provide in the Add New Entry window, using the built-in Windows Recovery partition as an example:

Install a bootable permanently in partitions [​IMG]

Again: Hope this Helps (HTH),
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 17, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    EasyBCD may be used to boot into bootable ISOs etc., that are stored on the hard disk. You can create the boot files manually, but it's easier if they are done for you. New partitions are not necessary.

Download;

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

Documentation:

Adding Entries

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Ha! Ha! Thanks Fafhrd: you and I were obviously thinking along the same lines at the same time. Nice to see you active on the boards. Hope life is treating you well. Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 17, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    On computers with multiple physical drives installed, I like to keep my recovery tools in a bootable partition on the non-OS drive. That way if my main drive on which the OS is installed fails, then I can select the second drive to boot from in BIOS or UEFI and boot into my recovery.

I keep two backup images, one image stored on the second installed physical drive that I can restore without having to connect any external drive to the computer, and an image stored on an external drive in case the entire computer gets destroyed.

NavyLCDR, May 17, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

Good point, NavyLCDR, and a great reminder that keeping repair partitions on the same drive as the system partition also means that if the parent drive fails, ALL partitions on that drive become inaccessible and thus also unusable.
    Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, May 17, 2017
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    If there is a drive failure, no bootable Kasperski rescue disk is going to help that problem, so it might as well be on the same drive, for all the good it is going to do!

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, May 17, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    No because you can rebuild the boot files on secondary drive if main drive has failed. Takes a bit of effort but certainly possible.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  12. Thanks!!!
    I'll definitely try it out and post any problems.
    I have one last query.
    Does Easy BCD help to show partitions that are not ntfs/ is not accessible from Windows?
    The partition here is the Ubuntu partition, which I think is an ext4 partition.

white wolverine, May 18, 2017
  13. Fafhrd Win User

I have not found a tutorial here on Tenforums for how to access Linux partitions from Windows. No doubt one will appear soon.

As far as I know, there are 3rd party programs that make some linux partitions visible. Ext2Fsd will expose Ext2, Ext3, and Ext4 partitions is one, there are a few others.

Here's a guide:

3 Ways to Access Your Linux Partitions From Windows

Fafhrd, May 18, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Nice resource, Fafhrd! Interesting info, thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install a bootable permanently in partitions - Similar Threads - Install bootable permanently

2. Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition: When making a bootable media through the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, it tells you that the minimum device filesize needed to create the bootable media must be at least 8 GB. If you try installing to a single volume thumbdrive with the partition occupying the whole drive,...
  3. Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition: When making a bootable media through the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, it tells you that the minimum device filesize needed to create the bootable media must be at least 8 GB. If you try installing to a single volume thumbdrive with the partition occupying the whole drive,...
  4. Cloning the Windows partition as an ongoing bootable backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloning the Windows partition as an ongoing bootable backup: I am running Windows 10 Pro from a partition on an SSD. I have two internal HDDs: one for data and the second for backups, temporary files, RAM swap file, etc. I want that second HDD to have a bootable Windows 10 Pro partition. I would use this to run my computer in case...
  5. How to make a bootable Windows 10 installer on one partition of an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to make a bootable Windows 10 installer on one partition of an external hard drive: So I want to reinstall Windows as my laptop has been running ridiculously slow lately, so I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. I took out my USB 3.0 External Hard Drive as that would be incredibly faster than my USB 2.0 flashdrives, so I went into Disk Management...
  6. Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop: down votefavorite I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro I want to use ChromeOS on, in addition to Windows 10. UEFI is enabled in the BIOS. I have successfully installed ChromeOS (CloudReady) and then used it once. But I can't boot to it to get back to it. It seems the process didn't...
  7. Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Making a ChromeOS partition bootable on a Windows Laptop: down votefavorite I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro I want to use ChromeOS on, in addition to Windows 10. UEFI is enabled in the BIOS. I have successfully installed ChromeOS (CloudReady) and then used it once. But I can't boot to it to get back to it. It seems the process didn't...
  8. How to create bootable disk partition from bootable CD?

How to create bootable disk partition from bootable CD?: Hi! I have on CD small system which at computer start boots into. So, when I want to access this OS, I must to have always CD in drive... I want to leave CD away and create from this bootable partition on harddisk and will have access to OS directly without CD.. Is it...
  9. How to create from bootable CD the bootable partition?

How to create from bootable CD the bootable partition?: Hi! I have multi-OS computer and own one Live CD which boots at computer start if I select Boot from CDROM. I want to work without CD - make it like installed system. It is not problem of copying content of CD to harddisk partition, problem is for me to make it bootable....
  10. Message saying partition is empty and not bootable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Message saying partition is empty and not bootable?: Hi folks , i ran Mbar as i do every once in a blue moon for peace of mind and a message popped up relating to my SSD, as you can see in the screenshot , is this something to worry about ? I have always used just one 240 GB SSD and it is also a boot device , i installed Win...