Windows 10: Install after BSOD

Discus and support Install after BSOD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; All of a sudden I have been getting BSOD/Rolling Reboot on a W10 system upgraded from W7. The only thing I could do is to do a fresh install. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by epete, Jul 25, 2016.

1. epete Win User

Install after BSOD

All of a sudden I have been getting BSOD/Rolling Reboot on a W10 system upgraded from W7. The only thing I could do is to do a fresh install.

I tried using the repair disk, but repairs failed. So I finally tried the reset and was able to bring the PC back up, however the touchscreen and USB panel doesn't work in W10 (works on the BIOS screen when setting Boot priorities). I assume this is a drivers issue.

I have a backup (from Backup & Restore) stored on an external drive. I figured the easiest way to get the system back would be to restore. But restore will not allow me to access the external drive. I do have a USB port that works that I used my repair disk bootable USB. I plugged the external drive in that port and re scanned for backup files. I just wouldn't find the files. The other option is to load drivers. I used that option to confirm I can browse to the external drive so it should have been seen.

Then I figured I would copy the backup folder into my C Drive and try again, but windows will not let me copy those files. Why do they make this so hard?

I am considering doing a fresh install. I see from this forum that my PC should be digital entitles to run W10 due to the upgrade. If I do a fresh install, will it still ask for the product key? If yes and I choose the skip option, will it complain and stop working or will it recognize the digital entitlement and work?

If I try and fix by getting the proper drivers, then I probably want to be able to do a proper backup so the backup files are actually usable. There is nothing more frustrating to go through the trouble of backing up and have the restore not function. Also, my C drive is low on space. Is it safe to delete the windows.old folder?

:)

epete, Jul 25, 2016
  2. VegeChua Win User

After Win 10 Upgrade, BSOD Following Long Wait or Startup: System Thread Exception Not Handled (iaStorAV.sys)

Solution did not solve my case. I have a clean full install, had the bsod, tried the solution and did another round of clean installation with update after, still face the same BSOD. Is this a OS issue?

VegeChua, Jul 25, 2016
  3. BSOD with the error Video_TDR_Failure (NVLDDMKM.SYS) with NVIDIA 630M and windows 10

Same here with a Toshiba Qosmio X300 Nvidia GF 9800M GTX 1GB, upgrade from Windows 8.1 to W10.

With W8.1 no pb, driver 341.44. With W10 M$ installed 341.74 and gives this BSOD. Installed W8.1 driver 341.44 and W10 works without ANY BSOD. Was difficult to install because BSOD came very fast after boot.

Hope M$ will find a solution.

EricMottier, Jul 25, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Install after BSOD

Skip all requests to enter a product key and W10 will automatically pick up your digital entitlement *Smile

Yes, if you no longer need to go back to a previous version you can safely delete the windows.old folders. It is best to do this through the Disk Clean-up utility and use option 2 in the following tutorial: https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/open-and-use-disk-cleanup-in-windows-10.6756/

philc43, Jul 25, 2016
  5. epete Win User
    thanks. I had several partitions created from the W8 to W10 upgrade. So I went directly to the W10 Install Disk that I put on a USB and did a fresh install. I removed all partitions except the original samsung restore partition (did not reformat, but I think deleting partitions blew away all of the old files anyway. After installing it came up and everything worked. It also said the product key was set to digital entitlement so I think I am all set. I guess I should keep my backups on the c: drive so I dont get caught with useless backup files next time?

Not very happy with backup/restore. I would prefer to create an image that can be restored from any drive.

epete, Jul 25, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    I'm not sure why you can't access the external drive for backups. It is not a good idea to store the backups on the C: drive. A lot of people here use Macrium Reflect (Free) for backups and system images. You might want to look at this option instead. *Smile

philc43, Jul 25, 2016
  7. epete Win User
    Perfect! I will check out Macrium Reflect

epete, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Install after BSOD

1. Install after BSOD - Similar Threads - Install BSOD

2. BSOD - Clean install of Win10 on new NVME on Acer A515-51g

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD - Clean install of Win10 on new NVME on Acer A515-51g: I've re-installed Win10 on my Acer Aspire A515-51g as I put a new 1TB NVME SSD in it and the clone process had errors - so just wiped it all and started again. Have installed all the manufacturers drivers from their website and used several commonly available free driver...
  3. semav6msr64(Intel Driver Update Utility Installer) BSOD Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    semav6msr64(Intel Driver Update Utility Installer) BSOD Issue: submitted by /u/Kamekou [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/epjr4h/semav6msr64intel_driver_update_utility_installer/
  4. Constant BSODs on fresh Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSODs on fresh Windows 10 install: Constant BSODs on fresh Windows 10 install, I have also done SFC, DISM, CHKDSK, and Windows Mem Diagnostics. Link to Speccy http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cvpBFdIbvDQHa5hhwQ1TX5o Link to minidump and msinfo32 https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amq1qVpPO2bI2wKl8kZRJ_IASsXE?e=KTbbg5...
  5. BSOD crashes after installing AMD GPU

BSOD crashes after installing AMD GPU: I have been getting a lot of BSOD crashes when playing games, but I never got any of these crashes until I got a Red Devil RX 5700 XT GPU. I have gotten: ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY kmode_exception_not_handled IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL All of my drivers are up to date...
  6. BSOD with 16gb of RAM installed.

BSOD with 16gb of RAM installed.: I've had 16Gb of RAM since I got my PC, but I've only ever used 8Gb because as soon as my ram usage goes over the 8gb mark, my system has a bsod. My specs are Ryzen 2400g, RX 580, Asus prime b350 plus mobo, samsung 970 evo ssd, corsair vengeance 3200 RAM 2x8Gb. Ive run the...
  7. Windows 10 install bsod when reaching network tab

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install bsod when reaching network tab: I recently downloaded the Microsoft media installer and started to download Windows 10 to install it as I was running Windows 7 and support for this discontinues on the 14th. I get to the screen where cortana start speaking to me and I choose my keyboard preferences and...
  8. BSOD during Windows Install, Cant Fix. (Please Help!)

BSOD during Windows Install, Cant Fix. (Please Help!): Hi, i need help fixing this pc. I have been trying to clean install Windows 10 onto my PC however it always BSOD during the startup, and I can't go anywhere and I'm stuck. I have already updated the BIOS, Swap for brand new RAM, PSU, and SSD. Only thing I haven't changed yet...
  9. Critical Process Died BSOD - Installing Windows 10

Critical Process Died BSOD - Installing Windows 10: Hi, My friend just bought a new laptop, and I helped him upgrade the specs. Upon installing Windows, it gets to the bit where Cortana is supposed to start talking, and we get the BSOD - Critical Process Died. Is this more likely to be a Windows issue or a Hardware issue?...
  10. BSOD "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" WHEN INSTALLING GPU DRIVERS

BSOD "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR" WHEN INSTALLING GPU DRIVERS: Hi everyone, so around Christmas time I got a second hand GTX 1060 6GB ASUS on ebay and when I first installed the drivers I had a few issues but they were minor and were fixed easily. however I couldn't play games as they would either freeze or just crash. I tried everything...