Windows 10: Install and configure OpenSSH client and server on Windows 10

Discus and support Install and configure OpenSSH client and server on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The SSH (Secure Shell) protocol works by authenticating a remote user and transferring inputs from the client to the host. It then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 28, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Install and configure OpenSSH client and server on Windows 10

WinClub, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Diapolo10 Win User

Having trouble getting the built-in OpenSSH server to work

Goal: I'm trying to set up the Windows built-in OpenSSH server (version 0.0.1.0, as I recall that being the latest one) in order to use my desktop PC remotely should I have the need for raw performance when on the road through a Windows
    10 laptop.

Problem: Despite following
    the official guide
    to the letter, when I try to run "Start-Service sshd" in PowerShell I get this error:

Code:
        Start-Service : Service 'OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Palvelun sshd avaamin    en tietokoneessa . epäonnistui.    At line:1 char:1    + Start-Service sshd    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],       ServiceCommandException        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand
    If I run the executable without "Start-Service", however, it runs and seemingly waits for connections, but according to the Services tab in Task Manager it's not actually doing anything at all, nor is there an SSH user account associated
    with it.

What I've tried:

• Restarting Windows (after every installation)
    • Uninstalling and re-installing both the server and the client (both from PowerShell and through the Settings application)
    • Switched to local account instead of a Microsoft account (suggested on a forum thread, tried the previous steps again)
    • Using an elevated PowerShell instance with admin rights

System information:

• Windows 10 Home, version 1809, build 17763.379
    • Hardware configuration:
      • CPU: i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
      • RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
      • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
      • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A, BIOS version 0805

Let me know if other information is required.

Diapolo10, Dec 28, 2019
  3. Configuring OpenSSH (Beta)

Hi redr4bbit,

It is possible that your configuration was set to default after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1803. That being said, can you tell me how you configured
    OpenSSH (Beta) on your system? Also, are you getting any error messages? For now, please refer to this

documentation
    for the methods on how to use OpenSSH (Beta) in Windows 10.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Devlin Sco, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH

Source: Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH - Windows Developer Blog

Brink, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Install and configure OpenSSH client and server on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install configure OpenSSH

2. Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019: Hello Experts, When I try to install the SSH Server and Client optional features in Windows Server 2019 it fails. They do not install. In the settings -> Manage Optional Features menu, it looks like they start but never complete and then show up back in the list of available...
  3. Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019: Hello Experts, When I try to install the SSH Server and Client optional features in Windows Server 2019 it fails. They do not install. In the settings -> Manage Optional Features menu, it looks like they start but never complete and then show up back in the list of available...
  4. Cannot install OpenSSH client or server optional features in Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server: Hi there running a W2K16 server as a VM - seems the the optional features install don't include the openSSH server or client -- I'm using the Desktop experience standard edition of W2K16 server However using the powershell command from within the VM both products get...
  6. Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails

Domain client's OpenSSH Server install is stuck and then fails: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in. Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is? Is there another reason? Theres a workaround on github that I'd rather not use. Does anyway know how to make this go?...
  7. OpenSSH Server install is stuck

OpenSSH Server install is stuck: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in. Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is? Is there another reason? Theres a workaround on github that I'd rather not use. Does anyway know how to make this go?...
  8. Help with OpenSSH configuration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with OpenSSH configuration: So I have been playing with the OpenSSH config wile in windows 10, but I'm stuck on something. I want to make a specific usergroup that has SFTP access only and is locked in to the D: drive of my machine. Everything I see points to this being correct: Match Group sftp...
  9. OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10 .ssh\config

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10 .ssh\config: SSH for Windows 10 I get the message "Bad owner or permissions on C: \\ Users \\ nnn / .ssh / config Apart from update no other changes. Does anyone have any idea what that could be. If I delete the config file I get a connection. The Config file is required by Visual...
  10. OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10: I am desperately trying to configure an openSSH-server on windows 10. I have followed serveral online tutorials but always get stuck with the keys. I have generated ssh_host_ed25519_key and ssh_host_ed25519_key.pub in C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH. But when I try to start...